University of Kassel
|University of Kassel|
|Admin. staff||ca. 2,120|
|Students||18,113 (as of September 2010)|
Date from website 2009
The University of Kassel, founded in 1970, is one of the newer universities in the state of Hesse. The university is in Kassel, and as of September 2010 has about 18,113 students. There are more than 2,120 staff, including 327 professors, about 900 other academic staff, and about 1,100 technical and administrative staff.
International summer universities, intensive German language courses and orientation programmes for international students make Kassel an intellectually excellent place for studying. At present, students from over 115 countries are enrolled at the University of Kassel.
Each academic year, more than 100 visiting scholars pursue research projects in co-operation with colleagues from the University of Kassel, making a valuable contribution to the academic and cultural life. The newly-built International House is located on the campus. It offers hostels for international guests and is available for meetings, conferences and cultural events.
A wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate study programmes is offered in the following fields of study. All study programmes are open to German and international students alike. A range of degrees can be obtained, including the traditional German Diplom degrees, Bachelor and Master degrees, the Artistic Examination or a Doctorate:
- Natural Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Architecture, Urban Planning and Landscape Planning
- International Agriculture and Environmental Protection
- Social Sciences
- Fine Arts
Interdisciplinary research is a priority for the University of Kassel. This includes research co-operation and dialogue with research institutions from all over the world. The interdisciplinary research centres and institutes:
- Centre for Career and Higher Education Research
- Centre for Environmental Systems Research
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Nanostructure Science and Technology CINSAT
- International Center for Development and Decent Work ICDD
- Institute for Solar Energy Supply Engineering ISET.
The library of the University of Kassel serves as a Library of the State of Hesse (an important function in the German system of libraries). It was formed by merging the Landesbibliothek (founded 1580 be Landgraf Wilhelm IV. of Hesse) and the Murhardsche Bibliothek (founded 1873 by scholar Friedrich Wilhelm August Murhard as a city library).
A special focus of the library is the collection of early medieval manuscripts (over 10.000 in the collection) and early prints (mainly from the personal library of the Landgrafen, who devoted themselves to natural history, natural philosophy, astronomy, astrology and alchemy).
The two most impressive items of the collection are the Hildebrandslied (from c. 830) and the proof copy of the Children's and Household Tales, the famous fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm (the Kinder - und Hausmärchen der Gebrüder Grimm) (1812/1815), an annotated copy that was chosen as part of the UNESCO Memory of the World in 2005.
The library holds an early medieval text preserved in a manuscript from c.810, known as the Kassel conversations (in German: Kasseler Gespräche).
School of Arts
Two Academy Awards in the area of animation films, plus three nominations, have so far been won by graduates from the Kassel School of Arts.
Centre for Environmental Systems Research
Scientists from Kassel have been investigating how Germany can power itself entirely by renewable energy.
Scholars at Kassel
- Heinz Bude (professor, sociology)
- Volker Braun (Grimm Professor)
- Kristian Köchy (professor, focus on bio-ethics)
- Ulrich Kutschera (professor, evolutionary biologist)
- Jan Marco Leimeister (professor, business informatics)
- Winfried Nöth (professor, semiotics)
- Rudolf Schmitt (19th century)
- Helmuth Schneider (professor, ancient history)
- Alexander Roßnagel (professor, law with focus on privacy protection and digital economy. Vice president)
- Günther Cramer, Entrepreneur (SMA Technologie)
- Klaus Stern (born 1968), filmmaker (Adolf-Grimme-Preis for the documentary film Weltmarktführer)
- Thomas Stellmach (born 1965), filmmaker ( Academy Award for the animated motion picture Quest)
- Horst Wackerbarth (born 1950), photo artist
- Barbara Westermann, sculptor
- Alumni & Career Service of the University of Kassel
- List of early modern universities in Europe
- Red Brick Company (English language drama group)
- Renewable-energy economy
- International Summer University (ISU) Kassel
- International Winter University (IWU) Kassel