University of La Verne
|University of La Verne|
|Motto||Knowledge, Service, Vision|
|Established||1891 (as Lordsburg College)|
|Religious affiliation||Church of the Brethren|
|Endowment||US $36.6 million (2011)|
|President||Dr. Devorah Lieberman|
|Location||La Verne, California, USA|
|Campus||Suburban, 26 acres (11 ha)|
|Colors||Green and Orange|
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university located in La Verne, California, United States, about 35 miles (56 km) east of Los Angeles. Founded in 1891, the university is composed of the College of Arts & Sciences, College of Business & Public Management, College of Education and Organizational Leadership, College of Law, and a Regional Campus Administration that oversees seven regional campuses. It awards both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Many of their classes are taught at smaller campuses throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
The University of La Verne was founded in 1891 as Lordsburg College by members of the Church of the Brethren, a German Christian sect originating from the Schwarzenau Brethren. Historically, the Brethren are considered one of the "peace churches", like the Quakers and the Mennonites.
Both the surrounding agricultural community and the College were renamed La Verne in 1917. The College reorganized in 1977 as the University of La Verne. At present, the structure of the University consists of the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business and Public Management, the College of Education, the College of Law, and Regional Campuses.
The school conferred its first master's degree in 1965 and began an adult education program in 1969. ULV awarded its first doctorate in 1979. In 1981, the University founded a campus in Orange County and has since opened campuses throughout southern California, including on some military bases. Despite its Church of the Brethren heritage the university describes itself as non-sectarian.
Founders Hall on the main campus contains reminders of the university's Christian heritage. The founding plaque, placed in 1927, states that the university is "dedicated...to the cause of Christian education." In the top level of stacks at Wilson Library, the LaVerne founding fathers are shown in the costume of the Brethren. The cornerstone of the main building reads: "Christ Jesus Himself is the chief corner stone." Slots on the Board of Trustees are still held for members of the Brethren. The baccalaureate ceremony is held at the local Church of the Brethren, and the holder of the post of campus minister must be a member of the Church of the Brethren.
- Main Campus 1950 Third Street, La Verne, CA 91750
- La Verne Central Coast 4119 Broad Street, Suite 200, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- La Verne High Desert 15447 Anacapa Road, Suite 100, Victorville, CA 92392
- La Verne Inland Empire 3237 Guasti Road, Third Floor, Ontario, CA 91761
- La Verne Kern County 1201 24th Street Suite D-200, Bakersfield, CA 93301
- La Verne Orange County 2855 Michelle Drive, Suite 250, Irvine, CA 92606
- La Verne San Fernando Valley 4001 W. Alameda Avenue, Suite 300, Burbank, CA 91505
- La Verne Ventura County 2001 Solar Drive, Suite 250, Oxnard, CA 93036
- University of La Verne College of Law 320 East D Street, Ontario, CA 91764
Military satellite campuses:
La Verne Online offers select programs through online coursework and some programs offer student choice on whether to take a class on campus or online; some of the programs which participate are:
- Graduate Degree Programs
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Science in Leadership and Management (MSLM)
- Professional Development Courses for Educators
- Doctor in Public Administration
- Doctor of Organizational Leadership, Ed.D.
- Master of Science in Gerontology
- Master in Health Administration
- Master in Counseling Marriage & Family Therapy
- Doctorate in Psychology Clinical Psychology
- Undergraduate Degree Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training
- Bachelor of Science in Organizational Management
- Bachelor of Science in Public Administration
- General Education Course Offerings
The Elvin and Betty Wilson Library—La Verne’s main library—contains over 193,000 volumes and access to over 70 academic databases.
College of Law
The University of La Verne College of Law was founded in 1970 and is currently located in Ontario, California. In February 2006, the College of Law was provisionally accredited by the American Bar Association, allowing students to take the bar exam and become practicing attorneys in any U.S. jurisdiction.
In March 2012, the ABA again granted provisional approval.
La Verne offers 19 intercollegiate athletic teams—10 sports for men and nine for women. The ULV Leopards are a member of the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SCIAC) and compete at the NCAA Division III level.
Accreditation and memberships
The University of La Verne is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Council of Civilian and Military Educators (CCME)
National Association of Institutions for Military Education Services (Naimes)
Western Association of Veteran Education Specialists (Waves)
The Doctorate in Clinical-Community Psychology is accredited by the American Psychological Association.
The Master of Public Administration program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA).
Credential programs are approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
- La Verne Magazine ISSN 0199-347X OCLC 5803867 – published by the Journalism Department
- Lambda OCLC 23859888 – first published in 1929
- The Orange Blossom OCLC 37423650 – published by La Verne College from 1914 to 1928
- Prism Review ISSN 2161-0274 OCLC 60354138 – a semi-annual journal of poetry and prose from students and faculty
- Public Administration Herald OCLC 44688717 – published by the Department of Public Administration
- Thought Leaders: the Anthology of Faculty Scholarship ISSN 2156-5538 OCLC 648733397
- "Campus Times" http://laverne.edu/campus-times/ – published by the Journalism Department
- Dan Quisenberry – former Major League Baseball pitcher with the Kansas City Royals, St. Louis Cardinals, and San Francisco Giants.
- Vernard Eller – author and Christian pacifist
- Phil Esbenshade – professional skateboarder and attorney
- Larry Kennan – executive director of NFL Coaches Association (NFLCA)
- Ross Mathews – "Ross the Intern" on NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- Steve Ortmayer – assistant head coach of University of Kentucky football team
- Anthony Zuiker – CSI creator and executive producer
- David Hollinger – History professor at UC Berkeley, author, former President of Organization of American Historians
- Mike Morrell – Republican member of the California State Assembly
- Leon D. Bayer – Los Angeles bankruptcy attorney
- Rob Fukuzaki – Sports anchor for ABC7 Eyewitness News and host of Sports Zone.
- Joseph Ashton - American film and voice actor
- "Church of the Brethren : Colleges". Brethren.org. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2011 Market Value of Endowment Assets and Percentage Change* in Endowment Market Value from FY 2010 to FY 2011". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- Bowman, Carl (1987). A Profile of the Church of the Brethren. Elgin, IL: Brethren Press. See also Bowman, Carl (2008), Portrait of a People: The Church of the Brethren at 300. Elgin, IL: Brethren Press
- "I. ULV Faculty Handbook: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION". Faculty.laverne.edu. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- Herb Hogan and Gladdys Muir's The University of La Verne: A Centennial History: 1891–1991 (1990)
- "ABA-Approved Law Schools by Year". ABA website. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "La Verne College of Law dealt setback | San Bernardino County News | PE.com - Press-Enterprise". PE.com. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "University of La Verne College of Law | La Verne Law Receives Cal Bar Accreditation | University of La Verne College of Law". Law.laverne.edu. 2011-08-29. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "ABA-Approved Law Schools | Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar". Americanbar.org. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- "Alumni Profile: Ross Mathews 2002" University of La Verne, University Relations website. Accessed October 23, 2007
- "Rob Fukuzaki | ABC7 Eyewitness News Team Los Angeles | KABC News Team | abc7.com". Abclocal.go.com. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of La Verne.|