University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh
|University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh|
|Motto||A NEW VISION IN HIGHER EDUCATION|
|Chancellor||H.E. President Md. Abdul Hamid Advocate|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Imran Rahman|
|Students||3,700 as of Spring 2013|
|Colors||Blue and Gold|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission Bangladesh|
University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (Bengali: লিবারেল আর্টস বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় বাংলাদেশ) (ULAB) is a Private liberal arts-based University in Dhanmondi, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Founded in February 2002, permission to open was received from the University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh in November 2003, pursuant to the Private University Act 1992. ULAB incorporates the values of Liberal Arts and Sustainability into its curricula, through its General Education Department and its Center for sustainable development (CSD). ULAB is a research-intensive University, with multiple research opportunities for its faculty members and students.
Permission for the opening of ULAB was received from the University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh in November 2003. ULAB was formally launched at a ceremony on October 1, 2004. For its first two years the university operated from its original campus in Mohakhali, Dhaka. The new, purpose-built campus in Dhanmondi was opened in the Fall of 2006. In the Summer of 2008, ULAB opened its second campus, also in Dhanmondi.
ULAB held its first-ever Convocation on July 20, 2010. His Excellency Md. Zillur Rahman, the Hon'able President of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, and Chancellor of the University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh, presided over the Convocation Ceremony and conferred the degrees. The Speaker of the Convocation was Ameerah Haq, the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for the Department of Field Support.
ULAB's second Convocation was held on November 18, 2012. The Speaker of the Convocation was Nobel Laureate and Ex-President of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste His Excellency José Ramos-Horta. 704 students from both undergraduate and graduate programs walked in the Convocation.
Degree-Granting Programs (UGC Approved)
ULAB offers programs of study in the following undergraduate subjects:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Arts in English and Humanities
- Bachelor of Social Science in Media Studies and Journalism
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
ULAB also offers the following graduate degrees:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
- Masters in Communication (formerly Master of Social Science in Media Studies and Journalism)
ULAB has one non-degree-granting department, which runs the required courses to fulfill a liberal arts curriculum:
- General Education Department (GED)
ULAB has five centers which conduct research, run workshops and conferences; promote knowledge creation, and advocate good practices.
- Center for Sustainable Development (CSD)
- Center for Enterprise and Society (CES)
- Center for Bangla Studies (CBS) (original name: Center for Bangla Language and Literature.)
- Center for Archeology (CAR)
- Dhaka Translation Center (DTC)
- University Grants Commission Bangladesh
- Private University Act, 1992
- Mission and Values
- Center for Sustainable Development
- daily sun | First Page | Pvt universities do little research work|accessdate=2013-03-07
- Hassan, Mainul (8 October 2006). "Auspicious beginning of ULAB's new campus". The Daily Star Campus Magazine. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Remove barriers to quality higher education". The Daily Star. 21 July 2010. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "2nd Convocation of ULAB held". The Daily Star Campus Magazine. 25 November 2012. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "2nd ULAB convocation". The Daily Sun. 20 November 2012. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- http://www.ulab.edu.bd/Academics/degrees-offered/ Degrees Offered
- "MSS in MSJ renamed to Masters in Communication". University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- http://www.ulab.edu.bd/CSD/center-for-sustainable-development/ Center for Sustainable Development (CSD)
- http://www.ulab.edu.bd/CES/center-for-enterprise-and-society/ Center for Enterprise and Society (CES)
- http://www.ulab.edu.bd/CBS/center-for-bangla-studies/ Center for Bangla Studies (CBS)
- http://education.bangladeshinfo.com/2552/ulab-launches-bangla-research-centre.html/ ULAB launches Bangla research centre
- "Archeology at ULAB". University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Kar, Amitava (22 November 2013). "Stick a Babel Fish in Your Ear". The Daily Star. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Alamgir, Rohini and Rumana Habib (23 November 2013). "In translation". Dhaka Tribune. Retrieved 23 November 2013.