University of London Union
|Institution||University of London|
|Location||ULU, Malet Street, London|
|Affiliations||All University of London College Unions|
The University of London Union (commonly referred to as ULU, pron. 'yoo-loo') is the university-wide students' union for the University of London. It is the largest students' union in Europe, with over 120,000 students as the focus of its activities, with its students also all members of individual University of London colleges' student unions of which ULU is the umbrella organisation.
University of London Students Union, provides a range of services on an intercollegiate basis, including cultural, recreational and sporting activities. The seven-floor union building in Malet Street, Central London includes bars, restaurants, shops, banks, swimming pool and a live music venue.
ULU was founded in 1921, originally as the University of London Union Society, and moved into its main building on Malet Street, near Senate House, in 1957. It represents students to the University and beyond, whilst also providing support and resources to the students' unions of individual colleges. Comedian Ricky Gervais has mentioned that he once worked as the events manager for the union.
On 3 May 2013, the University of London announced that the union would cease to exist, in its current form, from summer 2014. This move was condemned by some students and campaign groups, who are now running a campaign to keep the building in student hands.
ULU aims to represent the diverse students and students’ unions of the University of London.
The Union funds and publishes a student newspaper, London Student, although the editorial content is not controlled by the Union as a whole but solely by the elected Editor.
One of ULU's main activities is the provision of Sport Leagues and Sport Clubs. The leagues originally only included teams within the University of London. Now they include University teams from the London area that are not in UoL. The governance of these is carried out by Sports Officers from the Universities and Colleges Students' Unions that have at least one sports team in the league. The sports leagues are also supported by the Friends of University of London Sport, whose members are former Sports Officers from within the University of London.
Board of Trustee members
- Michael Chessum, ULU President
- Daniel Cooper, ULU Vice-President
- Susuana Antubam, ULU Women's Officer
- Hannah Webb, Community and Housing Officer
- Natasha Gorodnitski, Ethics and Environment Officer
- Jamie Green, Campaigns and Activist Development Officer
- Patrick Butterfield, Activities Officer
- Stuart Deboos, External Trustee
- Jodi Ekelchik, External Trustee
- Mark Bery - University Head of College Representative
- ULU Students Union Governance
- Queen Mary, University of London Students' Union
- Chancellor, Negley Harte ; with a foreword by Princess Anne, The (1986). The University of London, 1836-1986 : an illustrated history. London: The Athlone Press. p. 16. ISBN 0485120526.
- University of London Union Press Release
- ULU Students Union Governance and Senate