University of Malakand
|University of Malakand, Chakdara|
|Chancellor||Syed Masood Kausar Governor, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa|
University of Malakand (Pashto: جامعہ ملاکنډ) is a higher education institution, established in 2001 which is located at Chakdara in the Dir district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. It is located on the bank of the river Swat.
History and background 
The need for a University in Malakand Division has been a felt since 1972, but due to political polarizations between different political parties, the idea could not be materialized until 2001.
The present site for establishing a university was proposed by the Ex. Governor Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Mr. Syed Iftikhar Hussain Shah. Prof: Dr. Lutfullah Kakakhel former advisor to Governor, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa is the key person in establishing of this institution.
After the announcement some legal points were raised by the provincial law department regarding establishing a university in the PATA (Provincially Administered Tribal Area) under Article 247 of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, a very old impediment in opening a University in the area since 1973.
The issue was resolved by the Honorable Governor by referring the case to the President to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan who permitted the university through a Presidential order/ Regulation. Hence, in a sense this is the only university in Pakistan chartered/ established by the highest seats of power in the country, the President of Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Governor Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
The provincial Government, through a Gazette Notification No P-III dated 27 October 2001 (Extra Ordinary) formally announced a University for Malakand District on the premises of the defunct D.F.I.C at Chakdara.
Vice chancellors 
- Prof. Dr. Jehandar Shah (Founder Vice Chancellor, From: August, 2001 till September, 2007)
- Prof. Dr. Mohammad Iqbal (From: September, 2007 till 15 April 2008) Caretaker
- Prof. Dr. Rasul Jan (From: 16 April 2008 till ....)
- Prof. Dr. Johar Ali
The Convocations for the Bachelor of Science (Hons) and Bachelors of Arts (Hons) are held on the following dates.
- 1. Session (2001–2005), Date 10th Feb, 2007
- 2. Session (2002–2006),
- 3. Session (2003–2007),
- 4. Session (2004–2008), Date 28 June 2012
- 5. Session (2005–2009),
- 6. Session (2006–2010),
Currently, Masters of Science and Masters of Arts programs are also going on but no convocation has been held for them.
The University of Malakand is the only University in the KPK, which is rich of the dedicated scientists having PhDs in the fields of Computer Science, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, and Mathematics.
- Department of Computer Science/IT
- Department of Bio-Technology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Education
- Department of English Literature & Linguistics
- Department of Botany
- Department of Economics
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Management Sciences
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Physics
Terrorist attack 
On 18 March 2009 around 1:30 a.m. a group of terrorists tried to enter the university and take vehicles. The security guard tried to stop them; meanwhile, a police squad, which was on routine round in the area, heard some shots and came on the spot. The terrorists fired a rocket on the police vehicle. As a result three policemen, including one Assistant Sub-Inspector and the security guard of the university (Mr. Khaliq Dad) were killed. The terrorists stole two vehicles from the university and left the two they used to come to the university. Later on Taliban claimed that they captured a group of fourteen people near Shamozai. Initially the told they would hand them over to the authorities, but because of the bad situation in the whole Malakand division nothing actually happened to investigate the incident.
In this history of University of Malakand there have been several scandals.
- The first scandal came out when a student tried to steal computers from the university computer laboratory in 2002. After a few days the guy was traced and he confessed to steal only because he wanted to upgrade his personal computer.
- Another scandal came out when the Vice Chancellor ordered to shift a computer laboratory to a newly built Academic building in 2012. Some professors were convicted however, it is a general perception that they were not guilty. Many believe that this incident led to quitting of Prof. Dr. Rasool Jan - Vice Chancellor of the time.
Bank and post office 
There is a branch of National Bank of Pakistan and a Post Office in the university. Currently, there is no ATM installed in the university, which is a problem for the students, staff members and specially for the visitors to the university.
- - Ranking of Higher Education Commission (HEC) Recognized Universities in Pakistan