University of Management and Technology, Lahore
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (September 2011)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (December 2013)|
|University of Management & Technology|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
The University of Management and Technology (UMT) (Urdu: یونیورسٹی آف مینیجمنٹ اینڈ ٹکنالوجی) is a private-sector university located in Lahore, Pakistan. UMT is a government-chartered university and is recognized by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) and Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC). UMT is a project of ILM Trust. It is an independent, non-for-profit private organization.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Location on Google Maps
- 4 Approved by Higher Education Commission (HEC)
- 5 Accreditation by Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC)
- 6 National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC)
- 7 National Business Education Accreditation Council (NBEAC)
- 8 Accredited by National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NACTE)
- 9 Schools and institutes
- 10 Degrees and disciplines
- 11 Lahore (Main) Campus
- 12 Sialkot Campus
- 13 Information Processing Center
- 14 Quality Enhancement CEL (QEC)
- 15 UMT Library
- 16 Hostels
- 17 Clubs & Societies
- 18 Centers
- 19 International Collaborations with other institutes
- 20 Memberships
- 21 Funds/Financial Assistance
- 22 Scholarship
- 23 External links
UMT was founded in 1990 as the Institute of Leadership and Management. UMT received her degree-granting charter first as the Institute of Management and Technology in 2002 through an Act of the Assembly of the Punjab. Later, on 16 June 2004, IMT became the University of Management and Technology through the passing of a similar act by the Punjab Assembly.
First Private University in Punjab to get W4 Ranking
In September 2007, the Higher Education Commission, Pakistan, upgraded the category of UMT from ‘Category X’/previous ‘Category B’ to ‘Category W’/previous ‘Category A’. UMT now ranks among the few universities in the country in this category.
In February 2012 the Higher Education Commission awarded W4 (4 Star) rating to UMT.
AMDISA has awarded SBE-UMT Full SAQS Accreditation for a period of five years. UMT is the 3rd university in Pakistan besides LUMS and IBA Karachi to get this International Quality Assurance Accreditation in January 2013.
All academic programs meet HEC criteria. The Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) permits Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Engineering programs while the BBA and MBA programs are accredited by the National Business Education Accreditation Council. The National Computer Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC) has accredited the BC Computer Science and Software Engineering programs. Quality assurance systems as suggested by HEC have been implemented at UMT.
UMT distinguishes employs 300 full-time faculty members including 62 PhDs(19 HEC approved supervisors), 13,000+ alumni-ae and 5500 students from 63 districts of Pakistan and 18 countries across the globe. The University has science, engineering and textile laboratories, computer network, library with over 55,000 books and digital resources. The University also offers financial assistance to students. Scholarships and merit based awards are being availed by a large number of students.
Location on Google Maps
Approved by Higher Education Commission (HEC)
Punjab's First private sector university to get recognized by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) as a “W4” category (highest rank) university.
Accreditation by Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC)
The BS Electrical Engineering (Telecom and Electronic) program being offered by UMT for the intake of Batches 2005 to 2010 have been approved by the Pakistan Engineering Council. PEC is the accrediting body that regulates the engineering profession in the country and maintains the required standards of professional competence and ethics for engineers. PEC permitted bachelor’s degree in Industrial & Mechanical Engineering.
National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC)
BS Software Engineering and the program BS Computer Science being offered by UMT is approved by the National Computing Education Accreditation Council best university
National Business Education Accreditation Council (NBEAC)
The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NACTE) has accredited teacher education programs at UMT. At present, MA Education, MA ELM, MPhil Education and PhD Education have been accredited.
It is worth mentioning that UMT is one of the first universities in the country to get accredited four degree programs. UMT is also the only university in the country to get accredited MPhil and PhD degree programs in Education
Accredited by National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NACTE)
The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NACTE) has accredited teacher education programs at UMT.
Schools and institutes
- School of Business and Economics (SBE) -sbe.umt.edu.pk
- School of Science and Technology (SST)
- School of Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH)
- School of Professional Advancement (SPA)
- School of Textile and Design (STD)
- School of Law and Policy (SLP)
- School of Engineering (SEN)
- School of Governance and Society (SGS)
- School of Commerce and Accountancy (SCA)
- School of Advanced Studies (SAS)
- Institute of Applied Sciences (IAS)
- Institute of Islamic Banking (IIB)
- Institute of Communication and Cultural Studies (ICCS)
- Institute of Trade Competitiveness and Sustainability (ITCS)
Degrees and disciplines
UMT offers degrees at the Doctoral, Masters, and Bachelors levels.
Disciplines include Commerce, Accounting, Business Administration, Banking and Finance, Business and IT, Computer Sciences, Software, Economics, Education, Engineering, Management, Textiles, Power and Energy Systems, Power Systems, Information Systems, Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, English Literature, Media and Communication, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, Social Sciences, Educational Leadership Management, English Language Teaching, Montessori Education.
Lahore (Main) Campus
The campus is built in the city of Lahore on 20-acre (81,000 m2) and was commissioned in mid-2007. It comprises academic blocks, engineering school with laboratories, auditorium, community centre, library and research center, gymnasium, community mosque, faculty apartments and separate hostel accommodations for male and female students.
On full completion campus will cater about 6,000 students.
UMT Sialkot Campus opened on May 2, 2013.
Information Processing Center
Information Processing Center provides computing facilities, it accommodates more than 4000 participants and serves 1200-1500 participants daily.
IPC is facilitating high speed unlimited internet access of 14Mbit/s CIR Internet Bandwidth, 6Mbit/s from PERN (Pakistan Education and Research Network), a project of Higher Education Commission (HEC) and 8Mbit/s optical link from world call.
Participants can access the digital resources provided by the Higher Education Commission via the UMT website in IPC as HEC allows the access to these resources in their recognized institutions only.
A team of ten IT professionals serve the department, with duties including logins, internet help, software, printing, and scanning.
There is wireless connectivity (WiFi) across the campus.
Quality Enhancement CEL (QEC)
QEC at UMT was established in June 2009 to put a focused attention on Quality Assurance aspect of Education.QEC operates for the execution of QA policies designed by QAA/HEC with uniformity of pace and standards.
UMT supports its academic programs and research initiatives through an automated library, on-site collections and a variety of online services.
The University hostels are situated at Wahdat Road. The hostels offer independent messing and recreation areas. Currently, almost 475 male participants and 152 female participants are residing in the UMT Hostels.
Clubs & Societies
- Health Wellness Club
- Blood Donors
- Umtech Society
- UMT Sports Club
- Adab - UMT Literary Society
- AKS Photography Club
- UMT Rovers Crew
- Overseas Participants Club (OPC)
- Bulls Eye - Rifle Shooting Club
- Khateeb - UMT Debating Club
- Dramatic Club
- Gals Zone
- Fine Arts Club
- Social Welfare Society
- EPS - Environment Protection Society
- UMT Finance Club
- Learning Activities (Scope)
- Academic Development
- English Language
- Law and Policy
- Management Development
- Supply Chain Research
- Globally Responsible Leaders
- Women Studies
- Organization Theory
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Vision and Image Processing (VIP)
- Center for Ijtehad
- Knowledge Management Center
- Retail And Services Marketing
International Collaborations with other institutes
The university has collaborations with other universities and academic institutions. All schools are involved in collaboration of faculty between schools, and collaboration with other universities and R&D organizations in the country and abroad. Academic collaborations and course/student transfer agreements have been signed with several local and international academic institutions that include:
- South West University of Finance and Economics, China
- University of Bedfordshire, UK
- Multimedia University, Malaysia
- Stockholm University School of Business, Sweden
- Eastern Michigan University (EMU)
- NEAR EAST UNIVERSITY (The largest university of Turkish republic of Northern Cyprus)
- Marmara University
- Meliksah University
- Fatih University
- Association of Management Development Institutions in Pakistan (AMDIP)
- AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Institutions of Business, USA)
- EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development, UK).
- UMT has become an institutional member of Asia Pacific Quality Network (APQN)
- South Asian Quality Assurance System (SAQS)
- The Alliance on Business Education & Scholarship for Tomorrow, a 21st-century organization (ABEST21)