University of Manila
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2008)|
|The University of Manila|
|Instituto de Manila (1913-1921)|
|Motto||Patria Scientia et Virtus|
|Established||October 5, 1913|
|President||Emily D. Deleon, PhD|
|800 including non-teaching staffs|
|Campus||Sampaloc District, Manila|
|Alma Mater Song||"Oh UM Forever"|
The University of Manila (UM) (Filipino: Pamantasan ng Maynila) is a private university in the heart of Sampaloc District in Manila, Philippines. It was founded on October 5, 1913, by Apolinario G. de los Santos, Mariano V. de los Santos, Maria de los Santos, Buenaventura J. Bello and Manuel Montilla. The first three were brothers. They named their school Instituto de Manila, after the city of Manila and Apolinario G. de los Santos was elected as the first director of the school.
- Doctor Of Education
- Doctor Of Public Administration
- Master Of Public Administration
- Master Of Business Administration
- Master Of Laws
- M.A. in Education
major in: Administration & Supervision Guidance & Counseling
- Bachelor Of Science in Industrial Engineering (BSIE)
- Bachelor Of Science in Civil Engineering(BSCE)
- Bachelor Of Science in Criminology (BSCRIM)
- Bachelor Of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS)
- Bachelor Of Science in Computer Science (BSCS)
- Bachelor Of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management (BSHRM)
- Bachelor Of Arts (BA)
- Bachelor Of Secondary Education (BSEd)
- Bachelor Of Elementary Education (BEEd)
- Bachelor Of Arts in Cultural Language (Japanology)
Short Terms Courses:
- Associate in Computer Technology (2 years)
- Associate in Hotel & Restaurant Management (2 years)
- Certificate in Bookkeeping (2 years)
- Certificate in Political Science & Technology (2 years)
- Certificate in Computer Secretarial (2 years)
- Certificate in Tourism (1 year)
- Certificate in Hotel & Restaurant Management (1 year)
- High School
International Language School
- The International Language School offers courses in the English language to foreign students like the Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans. It also offered courses in the Chinese language and (Nihongo) language. The International Language School building likewise provides accommodations for foreign students while they are studying.
The University is the number one of the achieving the topnotchers for Criminology and it offers a Japanology class.
Emiramona Garden Hotel
- The Emiramona Garden Hotel serves as a training center of the Hotel and Restaurant Management and Tourism Students of the University located at Tagaytay City.
UM HAWKS - University of Manila Basketball Team
The University of Manila UM Hawks won seven (7) Championship in the NAASCU League. The university was also a former member of University Athletic Association of the Philippines from 1952 to 1954.
On April 7, 1957, UM entered into a sisterhood relationship with Dohto University of Sapporo and Monbetsu cities, Hokkaido, Japan. Since then, it has undertaken various projects including faculty exchange visits, technological and library assistance. UM students have also been given the opportunity to study at Tokai University in Tokyo, Japan through an arrangement with the Philippine-Japan Students' Friendship Exchange Association. Twenty years later, October 31, 1977, UM concluded a sisterhood relationship with Hansung University in Seoul, Korea. On January 1, 1997, in Taipei, our high-school department also linked a sisterhood relationship with Cheng Kung Commercial and Technical High School in Pate City, Taiwan, Republic Of China. A sisterhood relationship was again entered into by the University with Meio University of Nago City, Okinawa, Japan on Dec. 5, 1988.
The University of Manila is an active member of the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities (PACU), Commission on Higher Education, Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning (ASAIHL), Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA), Philippine Association of Teacher Education (PAFTE), Philippine Society for Educational Research and Evaluation (PSERE), the University Belt Consortium, and the International Association of Universities.
- Dr. Emily-Dodson de Leon Scholarship
- Yamamoto Scholarship