University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Târgu Mureș
|University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Târgu Mureș|
|Universitatea de Medicină și Farmacie
Orvosi és Gyógyszerészeti Egyetem
|Latin: Universitas Medicinae et Pharmaciae Marisiensis|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Leonard Azamfirei|
|Admin. staff||over 400|
|Location||Târgu Mureș, Romania|
|Former names||Institute of Medicine and Pharmacy|
|Nickname||UMF Târgu Mureș
The University of Medicine and Pharmacy of Târgu Mureș (Romanian: Universitatea de Medicină și Farmacie din Târgu Mureș, Hungarian: Marosvásárhelyi Orvosi és Gyógyszerészeti Egyetem) or UMF Târgu Mureș is a multicultural public university in Târgu Mureș, Romania, founded in 1948 as Institute of Medicine and Pharmacy. The university is one of the 6 traditional medical schools in Romania besides the ones in Cluj, Bucharest, Timişoara, Iași and Craiova, all being founded before the 1989 Romanian revolution.
The actual complex of the University was constructed in the period of dualism between 1908-1909 when it was a Hungarian military school. After World War II a branch of the Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy of Babeș-Bolyai University was transferred here from Cluj-Napoca. Since 1962 the University of Medicine and Pharmacy has expanded as the number of students has doubled. Many of the doctors who graduated here have become known in the country and abroad.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
- Faculty of Medicine (six-year curriculum. Languages of instruction: Romanian, Hungarian and English)
- Faculty of Pharmacy (five-year curriculum. Languages of instruction: Romanian and Hungarian)
- Faculty of Dentistry (six-year curriculum. Languages of instruction: Romanian and Hungarian)
Faculty of Medicine
After the dramatic political, economical, and social changes that took place in Romanian in 1989, the university has undergone significant changes in its image and organization.
The spiritual life has become more dynamic, the logistic support a lot more substantial, and the methods have been improved and modernized. Each member of the teaching staff has benefited by participation in international conventions, trainings in new techniques, in a Western European country or the United States.
In a large degree, owed to the great raise in the number of admissions of foreign students, the Faculty of Medicine of UMF has become an international institution, with a significant increase in the number of students registering in a post-graduate program.
- András Grépály, doctor, professor of the university and tubercolosist
- Ferenc Pál Gyergyay, doctor, professor of the university and oncologist
- Adrian Lobontiu, Medical Doctor, Surgeon of the university
- Ernő András Lőrincz, professor of the university
- Dezső Miskolczy, neurologyst, constitutor of the university, professor in Târgu Mureş between 1945-1960
- László Nemes, chemist and professor
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy (Ofiicial site) (Romanian)
- Association of Hungarian Students from Târgu Mureş (Hungarian)
|This Romanian university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|