University of Miami Rugby Football Club
|Full name||The University of Miami Rugby Football Club|
|Union||[[USA Rugby South
Florida Rugby Football Union]]
|Ground(s)||University of Miami Intramural Fields |
|Captain(s)||Nick DavisSandy Kugbei|
|League(s)||USA Rugby South Collegiate Div. 2|
The University of Miami Rugby Football Club is a rugby union club in Miami, Florida. According to rankings in Rugby Magazine, Miami listed among the top twenty-five clubs in the United States for Division 2 as recently as November 16, 2010, before dropping out due to a loss to the eventual state champions. The Club was founded in 1989 under the supervision of still coach Franklyn Williams of the Miami Rugby Club for students of the University of Miami. The team existed prior to 1989 as an intramural sport at the University of Miami competing against local clubs from 1978 to 1894 and beyond. The University of Miami Rugby team competes in the USA Rugby South against clubs from Florida, as well as touring sides from other states and has had trips to the Bahamas as well as other island nations in the Caribbean.
The Hurricanes are made up of students of the University, and although players from other countries will occasionally play while studying abroad at the University, the team often relies heavily on talent from within the United States, many of whom did not compete in the sport of rugby prior to college. Despite this, the program regularly produces Collegiate Select Side players for the Florida Rugby Union and several players have been invited to the USA Rugby South selection camp. The players within the club come from all over the United States, some competing previously in other rugby unions. Several players have played for professional clubs on a part-time/full-time basis including San Francisco Golden Gate Rugby Football Club and the Chicago Griffins. The team has recently competed in the Battleship Tournament, a national tournament finishing second only to Louisiana State University of the collegiate premier league.
The Recent Squad (2010 Hurricane Rugby Team) was honored as the greatest team in the 21 year history at the University of Miami surpassing the legendary 1995 Hurricane rugby team in scoring (33.0 points per game in the regular season), Defense (6.8 points per game allowed in regular season) and point differential (+26.2 points per game). The team's season is now over and looking forward to 2012. The team was featured on WKRG-TV Channel 5's nightly news due to their high level of success.
2010 Schedule and Results
- Sept 4th: vs Boca Men's Club & Florida International University (W, 50-0 in round robin)
- Sept 11th: vs Florida Atlantic University (W, 39-5)
- Sept 18th: @ Palm Beach Men's Club (W, 12-7)
- Oct 2nd: @ University of South Florida (L, 17-12)
- Oct 16th: vs Ave Maria University (W, 78-0)
- Oct 30th: vs Florida International University (W, 62-3)
- Nov 6th: @ Florida Atlantic University (W, 15-13)
- Nov 12-14th: Battleship Tournament 2010 Mobile, Alabama
- University of Miami vs Troy University (W, 49-5)
- University of Miami vs Spring Hill College (W, 17-5)
- Semifinals: University of Miami vs University of New Orleans (W, 22-5)
- Finals: University of Miami vs Louisiana State University (L, 15-7)
- UM takes 2nd place at Battleship Tournament 2010p
- Nov 20th: Florida Cup Championship (Gainesville, FL)
- Nov 20th: University of Miami vs University of Florida (L 105-3)
- Florida Rugby Union Florida Cup Semi-Finalists: 2010
- Battleship Tournament Runner-up: 2010
- Florida Rugby Union Florida Cup Semi-finalists: 2008
- Florida Rugby Union Florida Cup Runner-up: 1995
Notable Current, Former, and Visiting Players
Former Captain and Former USA Rugby Florida Under-20 and Collegiate select side member. Founder of Lewis University Rugby and has played previously in rugby 7's for the Southside Irish Rugby Club in USA Rugby Division 1, 2009-2010. Has played for the CARFU Men's Select Side in 2011 and has played full-time for the Chicago Griffins in the Rugby Super League (United States) 2011-2012 for both 7s and 15's. Currently playing for the University of Queensland Rugby Club in the Queensland Premier Rugby competition. Currently sidelined with a back injury learning how to pass a rugby ball which also prevents him from working at his job as a toilet attendant in Men-Only club The Beat.
Former player and former member of Florida Under-20 Select Side, Florida Collegiate Select Side, and USA Rugby South Collegiate select side invitee.
Former Player and former member of Florida Under-20 Select Side, Collegiate Select Side.
Former Player and former member of Florida Under-20 Select Side, Florida Collegiate Select Side. Plays part-time for the Old Gold Rugby Football Club
Current player/president/Forward's captain and member of Florida Under-20 Select Side.
Current Player and Back's captain and former member of Florida Under-20 Select Side, Florida Collegiate Select Side, and USA Rugby South Collegiate select side invitee.
Current Player and Selected Member of the Greece national rugby union team at the under-23 level (2010).
Former USA Rugby Under-19 National Team Member (2003). (Retired due to concussions)
Former President and Florida Collegiate Select-Side Player
Former fly-half, still holds the top scorer.
Former player and former #8 for Sydney University Football Club and semi-professional player and starting #8 for New South Wales Rugby Union Select Side. Would have played for the Australia national rugby union team but retired due to shoulder surgeries.
Past Captains and Presidents
The University of Miami Rugby team is actively involved in the local community. Among their contributions are:
- Volunteering at Sun Life Stadium during Hurricane Football Games
- Working every year at a local Renaissance festival
- Co-participating with the University of Miami Women's Rugby Team in Relay for Life