University of New England Students' Association
|Institution||University of New England (Australia)|
|Location||UNESA, University of New England (Australia), Armidale NSW 2351|
|Vice president||Amelia Roberts|
|Members||c. 21,000 constituents|
The University of New England Students' Association (UNESA) is the representative body for students at the University of New England, Australia. Its vision statement describes a desire to: “Represent without fear or favour the students of the University of New England. To encourage participation in a fair and just tertiary experience through shared higher thinking.”
UNESA is involved with the following operations:
- The Legacy Scholarship Fund
- TUNE! FM - student radio station
- Neucleus - student news paper
- Clubs and society administration
- Professional Experience Name Badges
- Advocacy to federal student bodies
- Advocacy to federal and state parliaments
Under UNESA, TUNE! FM was initially established in April 1970. Then known as Radio UNE, it was the first student radio station in Australia. Further established under UNESA was the student newspaper, Neucleus (established April 1947). It also entirely funded a Dentist paid for by the 'dental levy' - the first dental service at a University in Australia. Also funded were a second hand bookshop and many affiliated clubs and societies. These services (except dentistry) still exist at the university, whether under UNESA or other bodies.
Divisions and Reformations
Prior to 1990, the association was known as the UNE Students' Representative Council and, for a time, as the Armidale Students' Association. Following the introduction of voluntary student unionism, UNESA was dissolved at a special general meeting of the members in late March 2006. The functions and services previously provided by UNESA were taken over by Services UNE Ltd  and split into two different organisations (for undergraduates and post-graduates respectively): Undergrads@UNE and Postgrads@UNE. Undergrads@UNE was replaced in 2009 by 'UNEG Ltd' (UNE Guild). Postgrads@UNE remained separate under the same name until 2013, when both groups reunited with the re-establishment of the University of New England Students Association.
UNE Liberal Club
In February 2005, University of New England Liberal Club (UNELC) (Liberal Party of Australia) members won control of the Students' Association. UNELC members also controlled the student union and the University Council undergraduate position.
In September 2005 UNESA made world news following the appointment of a Heterosexual Officer. This position and the position of Men's Officer were created at the same time as the position of Homosexual Officer was disbanded along with the campus "queer space".
In proceeding years, the UNE Liberal Club remained highly involved with student groups on campus.
Past Presidents of UNESA
- 1940-1942 Dr. J. Belshaw
- 1942-1944 N.O'Grady
- 1944-1945 T.Swanson
- 1945-1946 F. Chong
- 1946-1951 E. Tapp
- 1951-1952 N. Fletcher/ C. Wickham
- 1952-1953 W. Furniss
- 1953-1954 E. Watson
- 1954-1955 G. Harvey/ E. Boeham
- 1955-1956 D. Lamberton
- 1956-1957 M. Kelley
- 1958-1974 - Records unclear
- 1975 Laurie Hagan
- 1976 Celia Smith
- 1978 Karen Harris
- 1979 Gavin Roberts
- 1980 Stephanie Williams (Lawson)
- 1981 Kirsty Arnold / David Cook
- 1982-1983 Eva Cawthorne
- 1984 Christopher Morley
- 1985 Andrew Quirk
- 1986-1987 Angela Jackson
- 1987 Jack Tynan
- 1987 Peter Legg (acting)
- 1988 Paschal Leahy
- 1989 Paul Mc Dermott
- 1990 Records unclear
- 1991 Records unclear
- 1992 Records unclear
- 1993 Lawrence James (Louis Armand)
- 1994-1995 Adam Mara
- 1996-1997 Tanya Gadiel (née Barber)
- 1998 Siobhan Barry
- 1999 James Stevens
- 2000-2001 - Tom Fisher
- 2001-2002 - Kahn Quinlan
- 2003 - Kryssy Loker
- 2004 - Phil Schubert
- 2005 - Samantha Aber
- 2006 - Tim Fisher
- 2006 - Amos Young
- 2006-2007 - Les Wells (Interim)
- 2007 - Andrew Zhen
- 2007-2008 - Benjamin Graham
- 2009-2010 - Tim Holmes
- 2011-2012 - Taden Kelliher
- 2013-2014 - David Mailler
- "UNESA vision statement".
- "UNESA list of services".
- "The New and Improved UNESA: Student Representation at UNE". Nuecleus.
- "UNE student group backs Govt change". The Northern Daily Leader. The Northern Daily Leader.
- "Visions of the City: Utopianism, Power and Politics in Twentieth-Century Urbanism".
-  - UNESA Official Website
- UNE News and Events Agreement assures student services at UNE, February 2006
- The Deadly Newt - underground campus site