University of New South Wales Regiment
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (May 2012)|
|University of New South Wales Regiment|
Badge of the UNSW Regiment
|Active||1 February 1952 – Present|
|Role||Army Reserve Officer Training|
|Part of||8th Brigade|
|Garrison/HQ||University of New South Wales, Kensington|
|Lieutenant Colonel Peter Docwra|
|Unit Colour Patch|
The University of New South Wales Regiment was originally founded as the New South Wales University of Technology Regiment in 1952. Army Headquarters approval to form the unit was granted in July 1951. The University was sensitive at the time to the standing it had in relation to the historic traditions of Sydney University and thus the regiment was founded along the lines of the Sydney University Regiment. The regiment was renamed the University of New South Wales Regiment (UNSWR) when the University changed its name in 1958.
The regiment became allied to the Middlesex Regiment of the British Army in 1964, which was transferred to the Queen's Regiment in 1966 as a result of a merger. On 9 September 1992 the Queen’s Regiment and the Royal Hampshire Regiment amalgamated to form the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment (Queen’s and Royal Hampshires). On 18 November 1977 Queen Elizabeth II granted formal affiliation between UNSWR and the Canterbury, and Nelson-Marlborough and West Coast Regiment, a Territorial Force unit based on the South Island for soldiers serving part-time in the New Zealand Army.
The Regiment was first presented with Colours on 27 October 1963 on the UNSW Oval at Kensington by the Governor of New South Wales, Lieutenant General Sir Eric Woodward. New Colours were presented at a Regimental Colours Parade on 22 August 1998 at Victoria Barracks, Paddington by the Governor General of Australia, Sir William Deane, while the old colours were retired in St Spyridon's Greek Othrodox Church, Kensington.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
- Lieutenant General Sir Mervyn Brogan KBE CB
- Major General Allan Murchison AO MC ED
- Major General John MacDonald AO MBE RFD ED, 5 October 1979 - 4 November 1985
- United Kingdom - Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (1964)
- New Zealand - Canterbury, and Nelson-Marlborough and West Coast Regiment (1977)
- "University of New South Wales Regiment History". University of New South Wales Regiment. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "University of New South Wales Regiment Affiliations". University of New South Wales Regiment. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "RAMC - Director General Reserves". Royal Australian Medical Corps. Retrieved 23 September 2011.