University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport
|University of Oklahoma
Max Westheimer Airport
|IATA: OUN – ICAO: KOUN – FAA LID: OUN|
|Owner||University of Oklahoma|
|Elevation AMSL||1,182 ft / 360 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport (IATA: OUN, ICAO: KOUN, FAA LID: OUN), also known as Max Westheimer Airport, is a public use airport located three nautical miles (6 km) northwest of Norman, a city in Cleveland County, Oklahoma, United States. It is owned by the University of Oklahoma. This airport is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation reliever airport.
The Cleveland County Composite Squadron of Civil Air Patrol meets on Tuesday evenings in a hangar provided by the City of Norman, adjacent to the east of the terminal.
Originally built as a civilian airport on land donated by the Nuestadt family in the name of their uncle Max Westhiemer to the University of Oklahoma and land from the city of Norman, Oklahoma, it was taken over by the U.S. Navy in 1941 and expanded for use as a flight training field. It was transferred back to the university after the war.
Facilities and aircraft
University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport covers an area of 727 acres (294 ha) at an elevation of 1,182 feet (360 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways with asphalt surfaces: 17/35 is 5,199 by 100 feet (1,585 x 30 m) and 3/21 is 4,748 by 100 feet (1,447 x 30 m).
For the 12-month period ending March 31, 2012, the airport had 49,309 aircraft operations, an average of 135 per day: 97% general aviation, 2% military, and 1% air taxi. At that time there were 78 aircraft based at this airport: 79% single-engine, 18% multi-engine, and 3% jet.
- FAA Airport Master Record for OUN ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- University of Oklahoma - Max Westheimer Airport
- University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport (OUN) at Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission
- Cleveland County Composite Squadron - Civil Air Patrol
- University of Oklahoma LAAS & WAAS Testing
- Aerial image as of February 1995 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective March 6, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for OUN, effective March 6, 2014
- Resources for this airport: