University of Piraeus
|University of Piraeus|
The University of Piraeus (Greek: Πανεπιστήμιο Πειραιώς) is a university located in Piraeus, Greece with a total of nine academic departments focused mainly on economics, business management and information technology. It is currently one of the leading academic institutions in the country.
This institution is also home to The University of Piraeus Research Center (UPRC) which, since its founding in 1989, has participated in technological research on a national and international level, particularly in areas related to networking and internet technology.
The university was founded in 1938 by the Industrialists and Tradesmen Association under the name "School for Industrial Studies" and its original aim was the advanced training of managerial executives. In 1945 it was renamed to "Higher School for Industrial Studies" while latter in 1958 it was again renamed as "Graduate School for Industrial Studies" and its seat was established in the area of Piraeus. Since then the university has evolved from its original sole focus on business management and added additional academic fields such us statistics and informatics. In 1966, it became a public university, and in 1989 it received its present name.
Currently under proposal with the Ministry of National Education and Religious Affairs is the inclusion of additional fields of study such as medicine, social administration, European legal studies, primary education, infant education, and tourism economics.
- Department of Economics
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Financial Management and Banking
- Department of Maritime Studies
- Department of Industrial Management
- Department of Statistics and Insurance Science
- Department of Informatics
- Department of Digital Systems
- Department of International Relations and European Studies
An external evaluation of all academic departments in Greek universities will be conducted by the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) in the following years. 
- Department of Financial Management and Banking (2012) 
- Department of Economics (2012) 
- Department of Industrial Management and Technology (2012) 
- Department of Informatics (2011) 
- M.B.A. with Specialization in Finance and Accounting or in Marketing
- M.B.A. Focused in Total Quality Management
- M.B.A. Focused in Tourism Management
- M.Sc. in Finance and Banking Management
- M.Sc. in Applied Statistics
- M.Sc. in Actuarial Science and Risk Management
- M.Sc. in Organization and Management of Industrial Systems
- M.Sc. in Maritime Economics
- M.Sc. in Economic and Operational Strategy
- M.Sc. in Health Management
- M.Sc. in Technology Education and Digital Systems
- M.Sc. in Techno-economic Management and Digital Systems Security
- M.Sc. in Advanced Information Systems
- M.Sc. in Informatics
- M.Sc. in International and European Studies
- Part Time Executive M.B.A.
- Part Time Executive M.Sc. in Finance and Banking Management
The university is managed by a voting senate, which consists of the rector, the two vice rectors, the departments' chairmen, one representative from each department's students, two representatives from the postgraduate students and special postgraduate scholars, one representative from the assistant tutors and scientific contributors, one representative from the special teaching staff, one representative from the administrative staff, and one representative from the special administrative technical staff. Also there are representatives in the senate from the associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers.
Meetings of the senate are overseen by the general secretary of the university, although the secretary does not participate in voting.
- List of universities in Greece
- Education in Greece
- Academic grading in Greece
- List of research institutes in Greece
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) (Greek) (English)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (Greek) (English)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (Greek) (English)
- synnefo - Open Source Cloud Software (GRNET) (Greek) (English)
- 2010 Universities Web Rankings 4International Colleges & Universities. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- University of Piraeus Research Center UPRC. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Financial Management and Banking, University of Piraeus, 2012
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Economics, University of Piraeus, 2012
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Industrial Management and Technology, University of Piraeus, 2012
- HQAA Final Report - Department of Informatics, University of Piraeus, 2011