University of Poitiers
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (July 2008)|
|University of Poitiers|
|Université de Poitiers|
|Latin: Universitas Pictavium|
|Motto||Des savoirs & des talents
Knowledges and talents
|Affiliations||Coimbra Group, IRUN|
In the 16th century, the university exerted its influence over the town cultural life, and was ranked second only to Paris. Of the 4,000 students who attended it at the time, some were to become famous: Joachim Du Bellay, Jean-Louis Guez de Balzac, François Rabelais, René Descartes, Francis Bacon and Scévole de Sainte-Marthe, to name but a few. Go on link to have list of articles of University of Poitiers alumni.
After temporary closure during the French Revolution when provincial universities were abolished, the University of Poitiers reopened in 1796. The reinstated university was merged from several schools and contained new faculties such as the faculty of science and the faculty of letters.
They established the École nationale supérieure d'ingénieurs de Poitiers, a department which trains engineers, in 1984 after having created the Institut de sciences et techniques de Poitiers, its predecessor.
Late 2011 the University has changed its logo. They submitted 4 so that students and the staff has been able to decide. The up-to-date is based on the original coat of arms while the former was something modern. More than 9 000 people have participated.
The university covers all major academic fields through its 14 Teaching and Research Departments, Institutes and Schools:
- Teaching and Research Departments
- Department of Law and Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of Basic and Applied Science
- Department of Literature and Languages
- Department of Human Sciences and Arts
- Department of Sports Sciences
- Department of Medicine and Pharmacy
- Graduate Engineering School - École nationale supérieure d'ingénieurs de Poitiers (ENSIP)
- Polytechnic of Poitiers (IUT)
- Polytechnic of Angoulême (IUT)
- Business Administration Institute (IAE de Poitiers)
- Institute of Communication and New Technologies (ICOMTEC)
- General Administration Preparatory Institute (IPAG)
- Institute of Industrial, Insurance and Financial Risks (IRIAF)
Moreover, its law studies were ranked as the second best in France by the French magazine "l'étudiant", in 2005.
In the scientific domain, it has these laboratories, where ENSIP is part of:
In the legal domain, the Center for Studies on International Legal Cooperation (CECOJI) is a joint research unit (UMR) involving the University of Poitiers and the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS).
Life on campus
Points of interest
Notes and references
- Le premier Institut Confucius en France est créé à l'Université de Poitiers, AUF, 18th October 2005
- Nouveau logo de l'Université de Poitiers, Ecole eco services, 17th of November 2011
- Centre golfique des Chalons, University of Poitiers
- Official website (French)