University of Prešov
|University of Prešov in Prešov|
|Prešovská univerzita v Prešove|
|Latin: Universitas Presoviensis|
|Rector||Prof. RNDr. René Matlovič PhD.|
|Students||10,059 (as on 31st of October 2012)|
|Affiliations||Danube Rectors´ Conference|
The University of Prešov is the only public university in the Prešov self-governing region. It focuses on the areas of social, natural and theological sciences, sport, arts, management and health care. It was established by law in December 1996 by splitting the University of Pavol Jozef Šafárik in Košice into the University of Pavol Jozef Šafárik in Košice and Prešov University in Prešov. It was officially established on 1 January 1997. The outcomes of its active education and research programmes stretch significantly beyond the borders of Eastern Slovakia. University of Prešov is shaping into a modern and dynamic university. Among the priorities of the University of Prešov belongs reinforcement of research what lead us to building research centres out of which several belong among Centres of Excellence.
- Centre of excellence of lingual-cultural and translational-interpretation centre
- Centre of excellence of socio-historical and cultural-historical research
- Excellence Centre of Human and Animal Ecology.
Through bilateral agreements, the University cooperates with 75 higher education institutions from more than 20 countries, while Presov students and teachers can spend time at one of more than 300 universities across Europe under the framework of the Erasmus programme. In addition, staff members present the results of their studies in articles that are published at home and abroad, as well as at various scientific events in countries such as Russia, South Africa, Singapore, Switzerland and the UK.
- Faculty of Arts (established in 1959)
- Faculty of Greek-Catholic Theology (established in 1990)
- Faculty of Humanities and Natural Sciences (established in 1997)
- Faculty of Management (established in 2004)
- Faculty of Education (established in 1949)
- Faculty of Orthodox Theology (established in 1950)
- Faculty of Sports (established in 2004)
- Faculty of Health Care (established in 2002)
|This Slovak university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|