Savitribai Phule Pune University
|Savitribai Phule Pune University|
|सावित्रीबाई फुले पुणे विद्यापीठ|
|Motto||Sanskrit: य: क्रियावान् स पण्डितः|
|Motto in English||"Where Actions Prove Knowledge"|
|Established||10 February 1948|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. (Dr.) Wasudeo Gade|
|Location||Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|Nickname||Oxford of the East|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
The Savitribai Phule Pune University (Marathi:सावित्रीबाई फुले पुणे विद्यापीठ) (formerly the University of Pune), is a university located in western India, in the city of Pune. It was founded in 1948 and is one of India's premier Universities. Spread over a 411 acres (1.66 km2) campus, the university is home to 46 academic departments. The university has been given the highest "A" rating by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) for its overall performance.
Savitribai Phule Pune University was established under the Pune University Act, passed by the Bombay legislature on 10 February 1948. In the same year, Dr. M. R. Jayakar became the first Vice-Chancellor of the university. B. G. Kher, Chief Minister and Education Minister of the government of Bombay, helped ensure the university received a large allocation of land for their campus. In early 1950, the university was allocated over 411 acres (1.7 km²).
The location of the university has historical significance. Some incidents of the Battle of Khadki, during the Third Anglo-Maratha War, took place where the present day university is located. The present day main building was built in 1864 and was known as the Governor's House. The university is home to IUCAA, an institute for astronomy.
Initially the university had a jurisdiction extending over 12 districts of western Maharashtra. With the establishment of Shivaji University in Kolhapur in 1962, the jurisdiction of the university was restricted to five districts, namely Pune, Ahmednagar, Nashik, Dhule and Jalgaon. Out of these, two districts—Dhule and Jalgaon—are attached to the North Maharashtra University established in August 1990.
In 1949, there were 18 colleges affiliated to the university (including colleges such as the Film and Television Institute of India, Fergusson College, College of Engineering, Pune) with an enrolment of over 8000 students. Thereafter, the number of colleges increased, and in 2010, the university had 41 graduate departments, 433 affiliated colleges and 232 recognised research institutions, with an enrolment of 496,531 students for both the undergraduate and graduate courses.
Vidyavani is a community radio operated by the university programs are focused on departments of Pune University, students' welfare schemes of the University, information about exams and results and activities of the University. Edutainment programmes which cater to the problems of youth are also broadcast.
70 research institutions have been recognised by the Savitribai Phule Pune University for research. These include institutions of national importance like the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), National Centre For Cell Science (NCCS), National Institute of Virology (NIV), Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics (GIPE), Documentation Research and Training Centre(DRTC) of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) among others.
Other research organisations which are associated with the university are:
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (runs the Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope)
- Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (home to the PARAM range of supercomputers)
- Institute of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology (IBB)
The university has numerous departments and centres, and they offer various courses in science, social science, management, law, etc.
- Department of Anthropology:
- Department of Law: This department was established in the year 1965 under the stewardship of Professor Dr.S.K.Agrawala a renowened legal scholar in the world. The initiative and efforts undertaken by Dr.S.K.Agrawala let the department to be rated as the fifth best department in the commonwealth of Nations in the field of legal education of the commonwealth universities.
- Department of Zoology: The Department of Zoology was one of the first departments to be established by the university. The Department of Zoology offers a postgraduate programme (M.Sc., M. Phil and Ph.D.) in Zoology.
- Department of Communication Studies: This department was established in 1990. The department runs a two years full-time Masters Course in Communication Studies (M.Cm.S.).
- Department of Geography: This department was established in the university in 1950. Every year the department admits students for it M.A/MSc., M.Phil and Ph.D courses. The department also offers students a course in Remote Sensing and Geospatial Information Systems (GIS and RS).
- Department of Geo-science:
- Institute of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology : It is an autonomous institute with an affiliation to the Savitribai Phule Pune University. It was established with a view to promote research and development activities in bioinformatics and biotechnology.
- Department of Chemistry: This department was one of the earliest departments established by the university. It has received the CAS status (Centre for Advanced Studies in Chemistry). The research programs of the department cover areas like computational chemistry, organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry and biochemistry. The department has a collaboration with the National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), a premier research institute in India. The department has a separate central computing facility: a computer laboratory for students.
- Department of Microbiology: This department is an autonomous department of the university and offers a credit based course in Microbiology which covers topics in Immunology, Medical Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Industrial Microbiology and Biochemistry.
- Department of Materials Science:
- Department of Management Sciences (PUMBA) is a business school run by the university. It was formed in 1971 and has about 360 students at any moment. In 2007–08, it started an MBA++ course. It also offers an MBA with a biotechnology specialisation.
- Department of Biotechnology: In 1985, the National Board of Biotechnology selected the Savitribai Phule Pune University as one of its five centres for imparting training in M.Sc. Biotechnology.
- Department of Environmental Science: This department was established as an interdisciplinary school of the university in 1978. As a first step, Environmental Science was introduced as an optional course in all the science departments. In view of its popularity, a one-year course, B.Sc. (Applied) was started in 1986, which was subsequently converted into a two-year full-time M. Sc. course.
- Department of Education:
- Computer Science Department (PUCSD): In 1980, a one-year programme was started towards the B.Sc.(Applied) degree in Computer Science. The M.C.A. programme was launched in 1983, the M.Tech. degree programme in 1985, and the one year B.Sc.(Applied) programme was upgraded to a two year M.Sc. in Computer Science in 1986.
- Department of Psychology:
- Department of Physics: This department started its activity in 1952. The research programmes of the Department cover areas like Materials Science, Solid State Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Nonlinear Dynamics, Scanning Tunneling Microscopy, Cloud Physics, Thin/Thick Films, Diamond Coatings, Nuclear and Accelerator Physics, Lasers, Plasma Physics, Field Electron/Ion Microscopy, Biophysics etc. The department has received funds from DST- government of India under the FIST program.
- Atmospheric and Space Sciences:
- Department of Electronic Science:This department had its inception in 1984. The various labs and research programmes in this department include System Design, Cyber lab for Electronics, Sensors, Materials, MEMS,Embedded systems, Optoelectronics,Virtual Instrumentation. Every year a handful of thirty students are taken in for post graduation studies at the department thorough an entrance exam.
- Department of Ecotechnology:
- Department of Instrumentation Science (USIC): A spin-off from the university workshop, the department was conceived as an extension of the physics department to build and maintain instruments used by the Physics department, and served as a prototyping laboratory for building and testing new instruments. The department started running an M.Sc. program for Applied Electronics. This represented one of the pioneering attempts in India to run a University department autonomously, funded in large part by student fees and research projects undertaken by the department. To provide a broader focus, the M.Sc. Applied Electronics course gradually metamorphosed into the M.Sc Instrumentation Science Course with additional focus on sensors and transducers, as well as product design. In addition to the M.Sc course, the department also features a sensor lab which continues to collaborate with the Physics and Electronics departments providing PhD candidates an inter-disciplinary environment to pursue independent research work.
- Centre for Modeling and Simulation (CMS): This department is an autonomous centre at the university. It was established in 2003 to promote awareness about mathematical modelling and simulation methodologies, to encourage interdisciplinary problem-centric approaches to basic and applied research, and to nurture computing expertise on the university campus.
The centre runs a two-year full-time MTech programme in Modeling and Simulation.
- Interdisciplinary School of Scientific Computing (ISSC):
- Department of Linguistic
- Department of Film & Visual Studies
- Department of Statistics: This department was established in 1953. The department was situated in the main building of the University. Prof. V. S. Huzurbazar was the first head of the department. In 1962 the department was shifted to its new elegant building later named as `Wrangler Paranjapye Ganit ani Sankhyashastra Bhavan'. The department of Statistics was separated in 1976. Now the department is recognised as the `Centre for Advanced Studies in Statistics'.
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Politics and Public Administration
- Department of Economics: This department offers a Master's programme in Economics and also runs a doctoral program. The department also has a Post-Graduate Diploma in Foreign Trade.
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Defence & Strategic Studies
- Department of Urban Studies & Planning
- Department of Foreign Languages: This department was started in Ranade institute building in 1949. This offers courses for German, French, Russian, Japanese and Spanish languages from elementary level to post graduation courses. Batches are conducted in morning as well as in evening. Over 1500 students are enrolled every year for the courses.
- Department of Technology: The Department of Technology aims at providing research platform for solving industry relevant research problems. The department runs industry-University sponsored M.Tech-Ph.D. integrated programs. Four Technology boards have been established under the umbrella of 'Faculty of Technology'. The department offers 2-years M.Tech., 3-years Ph.D. and 4-year M.Tech + PhD (M.Tech with Integrated PhD) courses.
The university has Jayakar library. It was founded in 1950 and was named in honour of M.R. Jayakar, the first Vice-Chancellor of Pune University. It's a very big library having most of reference books of all departments. Various courses books along with other Literature and biographies of important people can also be found here. Jayker library has access to papers publish by International authors.
Student halls of residence
Various colleges of the university provides residence for students.
The International Centre of the university provides residence for international students, including visiting students.
Past and present vice-chancellors of the university are:
- Dr Abhay Prasad (1948–56)
- Dr. R. P. Paranjpye (1956–1959)
- Dattatreya Gopal Karve(1959–61)
- Datto Vaman Potdar(1961–1964)
- Narahar Vishnu Gadgil (1964– 1966)
- Dr Dhananjay Ramchandra Gadgil(1966–1967)
- Dr. H. V. Pataskar (1967–1970)
- Dr. B. P. Apte (1970–72)
- Dr. G. S. Mahajani (1972–1975)
- Devdatta Dabholkar (1975–1978)
- Prof. Ram G. Takwale (1978–1984)
- Prof. V. G. Bhide (1984–1988)
- Dr. S. C. Gupte (1988–1995)
- Dr. Vasant Gowariker (1995–1998)
- Prof. Arun Nigavekar (1998–2000)
- Prof. N. J. Sonawane (2000–2001)
- Prof. Ashok S. Kolaskar (2001–2006)
- Dr. Ratnakar Gaikwad (I.A.S.) (2006–2006)
- Dr Narendra Jadhav (2006–2009)
- Dr. Arun Adsool (Acting VC) (2009–2010)
- Dr. R. K. Shevgaonkar (2010–2011)
- Dr. Sanjay Chahande (2011–2012 )
- Prof. (Dr.) Wasudeo Gade (2012– present)
Notable alumni and faculty
Notable alumni of Savitribai Phule Pune University include major politicians of India including Vishwanath Pratap Singh, 7th Prime Minister of India; Vilasrao Deshmukh, 17th and 19th Chief Minister of Maharashtra; and Sharad Pawar, President of the Nationalist Congress Party and former Chief Minister of Maharashtra. P.V. Narasimha Rao, 9th Prime Minister of India, graduated from Fergusson College, when the college was under the University of Mumbai.
In science and engineering, notable alumni of the university include Suhas Patankar, pioneer in the field of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and Finite volume method; Kantilal Mardia, statistician and Guy Medallists; Thomas Kailath, scientist in the field of information theory; Vistasp Karbhari, civil engineer and the eighth president of the University of Texas at Arlington; and C. Kumar N. Patel, inventor of the carbon dioxide laser, recipient of the 1996 National Medal of Science and vice-Chancellor for Research at the University of California, Los Angeles. V. S. Huzurbazar served as the first head of the statistics department.
- Alleged re-evaluation in 14 January 2013 :The seven people arrested in connection with the alleged re-evaluation scam were remanded in police custody for three days on next day. The court of Judicial magistrate first class also extended the police custody remand of the three suspects arrested on 8 January in the same offence.
- Delay in Re-Evaluation :Over 20,000 second-year engineering students of the University of Pune (UoP) have little choice but to appear for some papers all over again because their re-evaluation results in these papers have not been declared as yet(10 May 2013). The exam was conducted in October 2012 and the results were declared on 19 March(Technically After 4 months from Exam).
- University of Pune faculty
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- "Motto in English – Pune University Emblem Details". University of Pune. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "It's Savitribai Phule Pune University". Times Of India. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Pune University History". Pune University. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "The University of Pune Campus". University of Pune. 2010. Archived from the original on 29 September 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "List of Affiliated Colleges and Institutions". Pune University. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Departments List". Pune University. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- "Visually impaired get taste of radio broadcasts". Times of India. 22 March 2009.
- Welcome to Department of Foreign Languages
- "Jaykar library". Pune University. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Facilities". Pune University. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Vice-Chancellors List". University of Pune. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "Vistasp Karbhari takes helm as eighth president of The University of Texas at Arlington". PR Newswire. 1 June 2013. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "C. Kumar N. Patel". The American Institute of Physics. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Seven held in University of Pune scam get three days' police remand - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Re-evaluation delays leave students in a fix - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Savitribai Phule Pune University – Official website