University of Rijeka
|University of Rijeka|
|Sveučilište u Rijeci|
|Latin: Universitas studiorum Fluminensis|
|Established||17 May 1973|
|Rector||Prof. Pero Lučin, PhD|
The University of Rijeka is composed of nine faculties, one art academy, four departments, university libraries and the Students Centre.
While the modern university was founded on May 17, 1973, the first school of higher education was established in 1627 by the Jesuits and enjoyed equal status with the academies in the largest cities of the Austrian Empire. The Faculty of Philosophy, established in 1726, operated for two years. The Theological Faculty was founded in 1728. From 1773 to 1780, Rijeka was the seat of the Royal Academy.[dubious ]
The departments of biotechnology, informatics, mathematics and physics were founded in 2008. The last three were part of Faculty of Arts and Sciences since 1986.
These are the nine faculties, one academy and four departments into which the University is divided:
Faculties and academies
- Academy of Applied Arts
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Maritime Studies
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Teacher Education
- Faculty of Tourism and Hospitality Management (based in Opatija)
Department of Informatics
- Informatics in combination with another subject offered at Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Students finish with the title Bachelor of Science in Informatics. Both programmes introduce the foundations of programming, algorithms, data structures, digital electronics, computer architecture, computer networks, operating systems, databases, information systems, formal languages and automata theory, software engineering, logic programming, web engineering, multimedia and information theory.
- Information and communication systems,
- Business informatics,
- Informatics education,
- Informatics education in combination with another subject education offered at Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Department of Mathematics
Since the implementation of the Bologna process in the academic year 2005/06, Department of Mathematics offers and undergraduate program (three years) in Mathematics, which finishes with the title Bachelor of Science in Mathematics. Courses include standard topics in mathematical analysis, linear algebra, numerical mathematics, combinatorics graph theory, affine spaces and particularly Euclidean spaces, metric spaces, topology, set theory, geometry, number theory, mathematical logic, probability and statistics, mathematical modelling, programming, algorithms, information systems and computer architecture.
- Mathematics education,
- Mathematics and Informatics education, together with Department of Informatics.
Heads of the university hold the title of Rector (Rektor) and are elected to four-year terms. There have been 13 rectors since the university's establishment in 1973.
Source: List of rectors at the University of Rijeka website.
Students at University of Rijeka work on various fields, and majority of projects are founded by Student council of Uniri.
- "Number of students on Croatian universities (Croatian)".
- University of Rijeka Website (Croatian) (English)
- (Croatian) Odjel za matematiku Sveučilišta u Rijeci
- (Croatian) Odjel za informatiku Sveučilišta u Rijeci
- (English) Department of Informatics, University of Rijeka
- (Croatian) OpenClass homepage at HULK-Ri