University of Science and Technology Chittagong
|University of Science & Technology Chittagong (USTC)|
|Colors||Forest Green and Pale Blue|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission Bangladesh|
University of Science & Technology Chittagong (USTC) (Bengali: বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়, চট্টগ্রাম) is one of the premier private universities in Bangladesh. The university was established with the sponsorship of a private charity on May 13, 1989. Previously it was started as Institute of Applied Health Sciences (IAHS), later it was upgraded to USTC as a full phased university after the promulgation of the Private University Act,1992.
Organization and administration
- Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology FSET
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Basic Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Social Science and Humanities
- Faculty of English
- Faculty of Biochemistry & Biotechnology
USTC Central Library
USTC owns seven-storied library building. The library has three sections comprised by modern technology and has accommodation for 150 readers at a time. USTC provides well-stocked resources for its students in the library. They are as follows:
- Books 6791 +
- Journals 5021 +
- Books supplied by the British council Library on long-term loan, Chittagong 50 copies (renewable).
- Audio and Video Cassettes 100 +
- Reference resources 190 +
The university has Gulmeher Hall for female students. It can accommodate both foreign and non-local female students. There is one hall available for male students - Syedur Rahman International Hall for foreign students. There is a separate hostel for internees.
Teachers and Students
When USTC began its journey in 1989, it had only two professors and nine lecturers. But now the total number of full-time teachers are 148. USTC has 5000 students and among the students, over 85% of foreign students, including India, (mainly from Kashmir,Assam and manipur), Nepal, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Jordan, USA ( non resident bangladeshis), Maldives (only a few who got admitted in 2011 session), and Palestine. The average ratio of teacher-student is 1:20.
One of the unique feature of USTC is about its auditorium. It is fully air conditioned and accommodates 1000. There is also a gallery available for 1000 audiences. The auditorium is ideally suited for conference and seminar.
Extra curricular activities
The university has an arrangement of extra curricular activities for its students. Such as sports and games, debates, seminars and cultural activities. All extra curricular activities are held by Student Welfare Council of USTC.
- About USTC. "Relevant Informations". Retrieved 2006-12-25.
- Hasan Jahid Tusher, Back from Chittagong (2005-04-27). "An institute with a vision". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2006-12-19.
- Background of USTC. "History of USTC". Retrieved 2006-12-24.