University of St. La Salle
|University of St. La Salle|
|Pamantasang San La Salle
Universidad de San La Salle
|Motto||Religio, Mores, Cultura (Latin)|
Motto in English
|Religion, Morals, Culture|
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic, Lasallian|
|President||Raymundo B. Suplido|
|Location||La Salle Avenue, Bacolod City, Philippines|
|Campus||Urban, 100,000 m² (La Salle Avenue Campus)|
|Hymn||Alma Mater Hymn|
|Colors||Green and White|
The University of St. La Salle (USLS), located in La Salle Avenue, Bacolod City, Philippines, is a Catholic private university run by the De La Salle Brothers. Established in 1952 as La Salle College - Bacolod, it is the second oldest campus originally founded by the congregation in the country. The university is a member of De La Salle Philippines, a network established in 2006 comprising 16 Lasallian educational institutions in the country. The university offers elementary, secondary, undergraduate, and graduate programs. It has seven colleges namely: Business and Accountancy, Engineering and Technology, Arts and Sciences, Education, Nursing, Law, and Medicine.
USLS was founded in 1952 by Br. Dennis Ruland FSC, Br. Hugh Wester FSC, and Br. V. Felix Masson FSC. La Salle College-Bacolod opened with 175 male students from Prep to Grade 5, under seven faculty members. The school building was unimpressive, built amidst sprawling muddy grounds and bordered by cane fields of adjoining lands.
In the 1960s La Salle College-Bacolod expanded from Grade School to College. This was made possible through donations by alumni, parents and benefactors. The school became co-educational in 1966.
On July 5, 1988, La Salle College-Bacolod was formally elevated to university status and christened University of St. La Salle during rites graced by then Honorable Secretary of Education Lourdes Quisumbing.
The school's 10-hectare main campus in La Salle Avenue houses the university's college and graduate school units, as well as its high school and grade school (collectively, the Integrated School). The USLS Health Sciences Campus, located at Lacson St., is an additional facility for students under its Nursing and Medicine program. Its other campus, the 55-hectare scenic USLS Granada Campus, is home to the Agribusiness Farm and the Science Ecological Park, which caters to its Agribusiness students. In March 2012, plans for transferring the Integrated School to a 7-hectare lot in Brgy.
Integrated School Campus
The University allotted PHP200 Million for the construction of a new Integrated School Campus in Brgy. Mandalagan. The current Integrated School, which is home to 2,000 I.S. Students, is already congested. The new campus features two four-storey buildings and can accommodate up to 4,000 students. Construction is expected to be completed by 2015.
The university's patron saint is St. John Baptist de La Salle, a French priest, educational reformer, and founder of an international educational movement who spent over forty years of his life dedicated to education for the children of the poor.
In the process, he standardized educational practices throughout France, wrote inspirational meditations on the ministry of teaching (along with catechisms, politeness texts, and other resources for teachers and students), and became the catalyst and resource for many other religious congregations dedicated to education that were founded in the 18th and 19th centuries.
USLS offers elementary, secondary, undergraduate and graduate level programs. Lasalle offers academic programs under Business, Law, the Social Sciences, Medicine, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Nursing, Education, and Hospitality Management. Lasalle has seven Academic colleges, namely College of Nursing, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business and Accountancy, College of Education, College of Law, College of Engineering and Technology, and College of Medicine.
- College of Arts and Sciences – Its undergraduate programs include AB Political Science, AB/BS Psychology, AB Communications, AB Interdisciplinary Studies and BS Biology. While its graduate programs include MS Guidance and Counseling, MA in Conflict and Reconciliation, Master in Public Management, Master in Information Technology, Master of Education Major on Marriage and Family, PhD in Religious Studies, and PhD in Development Studies.
- College of Business and Accountancy – Its undergraduate programs include BS Accountancy, BS Agribusiness, BS Entrepreneurship, BS Hospitality Management, BS Management Accounting, BS Business Administration, Marketing Management and Operations Management. While its Graduate Studies include Master in Business Administration and Doctor of Philosophy in Business Management. The college is a Center of Development in Accountancy.
- College of Engineering and Technology – The college offers undergraduate programs in Chemical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Materials Engineering, Food Technology, Information Technology, Computer Science and an associate degree in Computer Engineering Technology. Its graduate programs include an MS in Environmental Engineering and Master of Engineering in Electronics and Communications Engineering. The college is a CHED Center of Development in Chemical Engineering and Electronics Engineering.
- College of Education – The college offers undergraduate programs in Elementary Education (major in General Education and Special Education) and Secondary Education with majors in English, Mathematics, Physical Science, Social Science and MAPEH. It also offers Master of Education with majors in Educational Management (Educational Leadership), English, Mathematics, Special Education, Natural Sciences and Early Childhood Education, and a PhD in education with majors in Educational Management, Applied Linguistics and Mathematics.
- College of Nursing – The college offers Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master of Nursing and PhD in Nursing.
- College of Medicine – The college offers a program in Medicine, recogrnized by CHED as the top 11 medical school in the Philippines.
- College of Law – The college offers Bachelor of Laws and the Juris Doctor Program.
- The Spectrum – Official Student Publication.
- Monico Puentevella – former Congressman and current Bacolod City Mayor
- Alvin Elchico – ABS-CBN Broadcast Journalist
- Jean Lee Patindol – Palanca Awardee
- Bro. Rolando Ramos Dizon, FSC – De La Salle Brother
- Bro. Ricky Laguda, FSC – Current De La Salle University President
Notes and references
- DLSP September 2008 Statistics. delasalle.ph. Accessed May 26, 2009
- "History - University of St. La Salle". Center for International and External Linkages, University of St. La Salle. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- USLS allots P200 Million for New Integrated School http://www.visayandailystar.com/2014/July/01/topstory4.htm