University of Wisconsin Colleges
The campuses are:
- University of Wisconsin–Baraboo/Sauk County
- University of Wisconsin–Barron County
- University of Wisconsin–Fond du Lac
- University of Wisconsin–Fox Valley
- University of Wisconsin–Manitowoc
- University of Wisconsin–Marathon County
- University of Wisconsin–Marinette
- University of Wisconsin–Marshfield/Wood County
- University of Wisconsin–Richland
- University of Wisconsin–Rock County
- University of Wisconsin–Sheboygan
- University of Wisconsin–Washington County
- University of Wisconsin–Waukesha
- University of Wisconsin Colleges Online
An Associate's Degree can be earned at any of the campuses, including the online campus. Six of the campuses now (2013) offer a Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences degree. The UW Colleges is also frequently used as a stepping stone in order to transfer to another institution in the University of Wisconsin System. This is facilitated by the "Guaranteed Transfer Program" whereby a student is guaranteed admission as a junior to another institution if certain requirements are met.
What is now the UW Colleges system was created after World War II, when the University of Wisconsin-Extension began operating freshman-sophomore centers across the state. The UW Board of Regents encouraged counties and municipalities to donate land for this purpose, mainly to serve the influx of students enrolling after the war. After the merger of the old UW System with the Wisconsin State Universities to form the present-day UW System, the freshman-sophomore centers became a separate institution of the newly created system, known as the University of Wisconsin Centers. The centers became known as University of Wisconsin Colleges in 1997.
In 2005, the Board of Regents partially reunited UW Colleges with UW-Extension. While the two units share a single administration, they have separate provosts and retain separate identities.
The interim chancellor of UW Colleges is Aaron Brower, who also serves as interim chancellor of UW-Extension.
- Wisconsin Technical College System, for the system of community colleges in Wisconsin
- University of Wisconsin System, the four year colleges in Wisconsin