University of the Philippines Integrated School
|University of the Philippines Integrated School
Paaralang Integral ng Unibersidad ng Pilipinas
|Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Principal||Dr. Ronald San Jose|
The University of the Philippines Integrated School (or UPIS) is the laboratory school of the University of the Philippines Diliman College of Education.
In 1916, eight years after it was founded, the University of the Philippines established a laboratory high school, called UP High School for its College of Education. It was located on Isaac Peral St. (now United Nations Avenue) in Ermita, Manila, Philippines.
When the UP established a campus in Diliman, Quezon City in the late 1940s, the College of Education and UP High School followed suit. For sometime, UP High School was housed on the third floor of the College of Education building.
UP High School's own building in Katipunan Road was inaugurated in 1959. The original structures are still in use by UPIS.
In 1936, UP established an elementary school that served primarily as a service school for children of the University personnel. It became the laboratory school of the College of Education when the BSEEd program was offered in 1961.
In 1954, UP established a second high school called UP Preparatory School. With curricular emphasis on science and mathematics, it served primarily as a feeder school to the University. UP Prep used to be housed in Rizal Hall, at Padre Faura, Manila.
In 1974, the two high schools were merged as University High School, while in 1976, UP Integrated School (UPIS) was created with the merging of the UP Preparatory School and the University High School. The School has an integrated curriculum from Kindergarten to the 10th Grade.
Recently, the area occupied by the school has been leased by Ayala Land and there is an intention to put up commercial, academic and other business establishments on the area, the old site of Narra Residence Hall is being designated for the school.
The educational system has a responsibility to contribute to the attainment of societal goals, serving as an active agent in the transformation of that society and the transmitter of those universal and ageless values that make us human beings. It is from this perspective that the UP Integrated School has defined its functions as a laboratory school for the College of Education, and a service and feeder school for the University.
From the school's philosophy stems its vision of society, and the school's role in such a transformation.
As the laboratory school of the UP College of Education, the UPIS envisions to help build a just and humane society. To this end, the UPIS is committed to educate students who shall develop their optimum potentials and who shall be proud of their culture and national identity. It shall be the center of excellence for basic and teacher education, innovations, research and development.
In order to attain this vision, UPIS shall pursue the these goals:
- To equip students with life skills in their search for knowledge that will contribute to nation building
- To instill values and attitudes to become responsible and productive citizens to initiate change in basic education through research and experimentation
- To be a partner with the College of Education in training pre-service students to be effective and competent teachers
Medium of instruction
Starting School Year (SY) 2003-2004, UPIS has the following Language Policy (approved by UPIS Faculty in the General Faculty Meeting on March 11, 2003).
- From Kindergarten to Grade 4, the medium of instruction is FILIPINO in all subjects except CA English, Music and Arts.
- From Grades 5 to 10, the UPIS adopts a BILINGUAL POLICY where the medium of instruction is ENGLISH for subjects such as CA English, Music, Arts, Mathematics and Science; and FILIPINO for subjects such as Social Studies, CA Filipino, Practical Arts, Health and Physical Education.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of the Philippines Integrated School.|
- University of the Philippines Integrated School official website