University of the Philippines School of Economics
|University of the Philippines Diliman
School of Economics
|Dean||Prof. Ramon L. Clarete, Ph. D.|
|Location||Quezon City, Philippines|
The University of the Philippines School of Economics is a degree-granting unit of the University of the Philippines (U.P.). It is located in U.P.'s flagship campus in Diliman, Quezon City, where it occupies the buildings of the Philippine Center for Economic Development (PCED). The School offers two bachelor of science degrees (B.S. Economics and B.S. Business Economics), two master's degrees (Master in Development Economics and M.A. in Economics) and the Ph.D. in economics.
Established in 1965, the School of Economics was chosen as the first and only CHED Center for Excellence in Economics in the Philippines in 1999. Its academic programs enjoy a high national and foreign reputation, with a regular faculty consisting entirely of Ph.D.-holders. The faculty has included three National Scientists, one Academician, and several Outstanding Young Scientists as recognized by the National Academy of Science and Technology.
Faculty research is particularly strong in the areas of health economics, public economics, and development economics. In collaboration with the Philippine Economic Society, the School publishes the Philippine Review of Economics, the journal of the economics profession in the country.
Graduates of the School of Economics have distinguished themselves in the fields of economics, business, law, education, and politics. Among notable alumni are deans of the School and officers of the University, leaders of the Philippine's largest companies, entrepreneurs, economics faculty in various Philippine universities, past and present government Secretaries and Undersecretaries, including officials of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), members of Congress, Supreme Court Justices, and a President of the Philippines.
The current Dean of the School of Economics is Prof. Ramon L. Clarete, Ph.D.
Some notable alumni
- Canlas, Dante (Ph.D. 1978): Professor UPSE; Secretary for Socioeconomic Planning and NEDA Director-General (2001-2002).
- Carpio-Morales, Conchita (A.B. 1964): Ombudsman of the Philippines; Associate Justice, Supreme Court (2002-2011).
- Cayetano, Pilar Juliana (Pia) (B.S. 1985): Senator (2004-2010; reelected 2010).
- Diokno, Benjamin (M.A. 1974): Secretary, Department of Budget and Management (1998-2001); Undersecretary, Department of Budget and Management (1986-1991).
- Fabella, Raul (M.A. 1975): National Scientist; Academician (NAST); Professor UPSE.
- Leonen, Mario Victor (Marvic) (B.S. 1983): Associate Justice, Supreme Court of the Philippines (since 2013)
- Macapagal-Arroyo, Gloria (Ph.D. 1985): President of the Philippines (2001-2010).
- Maza (nee Largoza), Liza (B.S.B.E. 1978): Women's rights activist; President, Gabriela Women's Party; Member, House of Representatives (2001-2004, 2004-2006, 2007-2010).
- Mangahas, Mahar (M.A. 1965): President, Social Weather Stations; former faculty, UPSE.
- Monsod (nee Collas), Solita (Winnie) (A.B. 1959): Professor emeritus, UPSE; TV host and columnist; Secretary for Socioeconomic Planning and NEDA Director-General (1986-1989).
- Morales, Horacio Jr. (+2012) (A.B. 1965): Secretary of Agrarian Reform (1998-2001); former Executive Vice-President, Development Academy of the Philippines; Left personality and political detainee.
- Robredo (nee Gerona), Maria Leonora (Leni) (B.S. 1987): member, House of Representatives (elected 2013).
- Sicat, Gerardo (M.A. 1958): Professor emeritus, UPSE; Minister of Economic Planning and Director-General, National Economic and Development Authority (1973-1981).
- UP School of Economics official website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of the Philippines School of Economics.|