University of the State of Amazonas
|Universidade do Estado do Amazonas|
|President||José Aldemir de Oliveira|
|Admin. staff||1.931 |
|Location||Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil|
|Campus||Manaus, Parintins, Presidente Figueiredo, Itacoatiara, Carauari, Tabatinga, Tefé, Lábrea, Boca do Acre, Coari, Eirunepé, Humaitá, Manicoré, Manacapuru, Novo Aripuanã, Maués and São Gabriel da Cachoeira|
University of the State of Amazonas (Portuguese: Universidade do Estado do Amazonas or UEA) is a Brazilian public university operated by the state of Amazonas, located in Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil. It was established in 2001 by a state law that turned the University of Technology of Amazonas (Universidade de Tecnologia do Amazonas) into the UEA. In 2011 UEA was ranked the best university of the state in an evaluation made by the Ministry of Education.
University of Technology of Amazonas
The University of the State of Amazonas was previously called University of Technology of Amazonas (Portuguese: Universidade de Tecnologia do Amazonas or UTAM). UTAM was established by a state law in 14 of December 1972. A posterior law, of 10 of October 1977 turned the university in an institute, but it remained called as university.
The creation of UTAM started with an educational policy, created by the Governor of the State of Amazonas, Colonel João Walter de Andrade, that observed the insufficiency of technicians for industry.
Since its foundation in 1973, UTAM has offered courses in Operational Engineering (Wood, Mechanic, Electronic and Electrotechnical), Mechanic Maintenance, Civil Construction, Topography and Highways. In 1977, the Ministry of Education abolished Operational Engineering so the administrators of UTAM started to offer courses of Technology at a Superior level. In 1986 UTAM started an Engineering course. The course in Data processing started in 1992 and Computer Engineering started in 1997.
Transformation to UEA
In 2001 the Mayor of Manaus signed a law that turned the University of Technology of Amazonas into the University of the State of Amazonas. It has campuses in 17 cities of Amazonas. In 2011 it was the best university of the north region of Brazil, according to a Ministry of Education exam, called ENADE.
New Iranduba Campus
With the opening of the Manaus-Iranduba Bridge, the Amazonas Government will build a university city in the city of Iranduba, located in the other margin of the Rio Negro River, inside the Manaus Metropolitan Area. The reserved area is located 7 km from the bridge and has 10,000 hectares. In 2011 the topographic studies were made and in the first semester of 2012 the bidding will be made. All of the courses will be transferred to this new campus. In the project is also included a university hospital.
There are two forms to enter UEA.
- SIS is an exam that the students take at high school. It consists of three exams, one per high school year.
- Vestibular has two exams on consecutive days. The first is about general knowledge and the second is about specific knowledge.
- Escola Superior de Tecnologia
- Escola Superior Normal
- Escola Superior de Artes e Turismo
- Escola de Ciências da Saúde
- Escola de Ciências Sociais
The campus in Manaus have a total area of 52.073m².
Center for Studies
- Centro de Estudos Superiores de Itacoatiara
- Centro de Estudos Superiores de Lábrea
- Centro de Estudos Superiores de Parintins
- Centro de Estudos Superiores de São Gabriel da Cachoeira
- Centro de Estudos Superiores de Tabatinga
- Centro de Estudos Superiores de Tefé
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Boca do Acre
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Carauari
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Coari
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Eirunepé
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Humaitá
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Manacapuru
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Manicoré
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Maués
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Novo Aripuanã
- Núcleo de Ensino Superior de Presidente Figueiredo
Escola Superior de Tecnologia
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering of Control and Automation
- Forest Engineering
- Technology in Systems Development
- Technology in Industrial Automation
- Technology in Electronics
- Technology in Mechanical Maintenance
- Technology in Data Processing
Escola Normal Superior
- Biological Sciences
- Portuguese Language
- Science Education
- Science Education in Amazon
Escola Normal Superior
- Music - Sing
- Music - Instruments
- Music - Regency
- Tourism and Social Development
Escola Superior de Ciências da Saúde
Escola Superior de Ciências Sociais
- Public and Citizen Security
- Universidade do Estado do Amazonas (Portuguese)