University of the Virgin Islands Research and Technology Park
The University of the Virgin Islands Research and Technology Park (RTPark)  is the first independent research and e-technology park located in the U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI). Launched in 2002, RTPark is the first government-sponsored public-private collaboration for technology development in the USVI. It was formed as a public corporation by the government of the U.S. Virgin Islands and is headquartered on the St. Croix  campus of the University of the Virgin Islands. The goal of the RTPark is to develop the USVI technology community to generate long-term economic growth in the islands, by serving as a center for e-commerce and technology for transaction-oriented, knowledge-based businesses.
Following a feasibility study and public input forums, the Governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands  signed Act 6502 to establish RTPark in 2002. Created as a public corporation, it was formed to encourage growth in both economic development and technology for the USVI. Via a Protected Cell Corporation function as part of RTPark’s legislative charter, tax incentives can be extended to knowledge-based businesses that apply and are approved as RTPark tenants. The legislation for RTPark can be found in Title 17, Chapters 34 and 43 of the U.S. Virgin Islands Code.
Management and governance
The Executive Director, David Zumwalt, manages day-to-day operations and reports to a seven-member Board of Directors. Board members include:
- The Chair of the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) Board of Trustees 
- The President of UVI
- Two additional UVI Board of Trustee members
- Three members appointed by the Governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands
Technology and business offerings
The park offers two main categories of offerings for tenants: 1) E-commerce and technology services and 2) business operation and tax benefits.
E-commerce and technology services can include:
- Co-location data centers
- Web hosting 
- Tier-1 connectivity
- E-commerce payment and transaction processing
- Electronic data interchange and digital supply transactions
- Related data communication services including e-mail, document management, voice and data transmission
Database services and products
- Online services including telecommuting, telemedicine, education and information research
Business operation and tax benefits can include:
- Intellectual property rights  under the protection of the United States
- Protections under U.S. federal laws  the same as operating in the United States
- Corporate tax incentives
- Research and development services including public/private collaboration and intellectual property licensing
Business incubation services for startups and emerging companies
- Business center services with access to trained workers that can provide customer support, data entry and record management, digital content authoring and publishing, and software development
Facilities and providers
High capacity broadband connectivity and collocation space is available via the USVI global subsea Tier-1 fiber network switching facilities of AT&T and Level 3 (previously Global Crossing), which operate hubs on St. Thomas and St. Croix.
Managed services (including collocation and data center services) as well as global connectivity provisioning, billing and other support are available via Adveniat, a local subsidiary of Baltimore Technology Park.
RTPark also has an alliance with JetPay. JetPay can provide “card not present” transaction processing services for merchants, as well as related bankcard processing services.
- University of the Virgin Islands Research and Technology Park official website
- U.S. Virgin Islands website
- St. Croix website
- University of the Virgin Islands official website
- Website for the Governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands
- U.S. Virgin Islands code
- Information on Board of Trustees on University of the Virgin Islands website
- Definition of and more information about web hosting
- More information about intellectual property rights in the U.S.
- U.S. government website for federal laws index and listings
- ATT of the Virgin Islands, Inc.
- Global Crossing corporate website
- Website for Adveniat
- JetPay LLC corporate website
- University of the Virgin Islands Research and Technology Park (RTPark) website
- RTPark on E-Commerce Island website
- University of the Virgin Islands website