Unorganized West Manitoulin District
|Unorganized West Manitoulin|
|• Federal riding||Algoma—Manitoulin—Kapuskasing|
|• Prov. riding||Algoma—Manitoulin|
|• Land||407 km2 (157 sq mi)|
|• Density||0.4/km2 (1/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Postal Code||P0P 1R0|
Unorganized West Part Manitoulin is an unorganized area in Manitoulin District in northeastern Ontario, Canada, encompassing the portion of Manitoulin Island which is not part of an organized municipality. It comprises the geographic townships of Robinson and Dawson.
The division includes the communities of Burnt Island, Cook's Dock, Fernlee, Meldrum Bay and Silver Water.
Meldrum Bay (Highway 540, 72 kilometers west of Gore Bay. Settled in the 1870s, and named after a town in Scotland, Meldrum Bay developed as a commercial fishing and lumbering centre. Once the village was home to a busy fishing fleet, and Great Lakes steamers tied up at the docks.) is located at the western terminus of
From the 1920s the Owen Sound Transportation Company steamers provided weekly ferry service between Meldrum Bay and Thessalon, on its route between Owen Sound and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, however, the 1962 opening of the Trans-Canada Highway, and other road improvements has made this service unprofitable. Now during the summer, the docks are busy again, lined with pleasure craft from around the Great Lakes. This area holds some of the best chinook salmon fishing in all of Canada.
Many residents of the area are employed by Lafarge, whose quarry near Meldum Bay produces dolomite used in concrete, road construction and metallurgical processing. This Lafarge Canada site is the home of the "largest Canadian marine quarry," with loading docks on the Mississagi Strait.
- "Manitoulin, Unorganized, West Part census profile". 2011 Census of population. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- GeoSearch 2006
- "Robinson". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. http://www4.rncan.gc.ca/search-place-names/unique.php?id=FCLGI&output=xml. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- "Dawson". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. http://www4.rncan.gc.ca/search-place-names/unique.php?id=FAVQE&output=xml. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- Local Services Boards, R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 737. Canadian Legal Information Institute.
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
|Zhiibaahaasing 19A, Sheshegwaning 20|
|Cockburn Island / Mississagi Strait||Burpee and Mills|