Unrest (video game)
Unrest is a role-playing video game created by the independent development studio Pyrodactyl Games. The game is notable for being one of the first commercial cRPG to take place in Ancient India. The game was released on Microsoft Windows, OS X, and Linux platforms on July 23, 2014.
Unrest is a role-playing video game It plays in a 2-dimensional perspective, with graphics designed to look hand-drawn. A large portion of the game will involve making dialogue choices to influence NPCs and progress the story. NPCs will all possess and react based on three values: Friendship, Respect, and Fear. Combat will be relatively rare, always avoidable, and very risky. However, it should be noted that playable character death does not result in a Game Over. Instead the game proceeds to the next chapter, with the previous playable character's death influencing how the story ultimately plays out.
The game's story is divided into eight chapters, with players taking on the role of five different characters, who each have their own back story. The playable characters include a peasant girl who doesn't want to go through with her arranged marriage, an elderly priest, the chief of the mercenary guild, and the sole heir of the former royal family who now lives as a street urchin.
The developers posted the game on Kickstarter. The campaign started with an initial goal of US$3,000 to finish the game. On the second day of the campaign, the goal had been met. The developers included stretch goals in the campaign which included enhancing the visuals and additional chapters. The campaign ended on June 21, 2013, with Unrest raising $36,251.
The game received mixed reviews.
- "Character Trailer + Release Date is now 23 July, 2014". Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Biswas, Aman (Feb 23, 2014). "Unrest: An RPG Set in Ancient India". Asidcast. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Morrison, Angus (May 1, 2014). "Arranged marriages, unconventional characters, strict social systems: this is Indian RPG Unrest". Edge (magazine). Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Dimopoulos, Konstantinos (July 17, 2013). "Kickstarter Projects: Unrest (Pyrodactyl Games)". IndieGames. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Sykes, Tom (June 10, 2013). "Unrest: an RPG about uprising and famine on the streets of Ancient India". PC Gamer. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Hernandez, Patricia (May 23, 2013). "You Can't Lose In This RPG, Though You'll Likely Travel Someplace New". Kotaku. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Doke, Shunal (Feb 10, 2014). "Careers in Game Development: An Interview with Pyrodactyl Games". IGN. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Desai, Sameer (May 24, 2013). "Unrest: Pyrodactyl's new RPG meets Kickstarter funding goal within 24 hours". MCVIndia. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Unrest: An Unconventional RPG Set in Ancient India". Kickstarter. June 21, 2013. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Unrest for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- "Unrest for PC Reviews". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- "Unrest for PC Reviews". IGN. Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- "Unrest for PC Reviews". Softpedia. Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- Thew, Geoff (21 July 2014). "Review: Unrest". Hardcore Gamer. Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 9 August 2014.