Unsimulated sex is the presentation in a film of sex scenes where the actors engage in an actual sex act, and are not just miming or simulating the actions. At one time such scenes were restricted by law and self-imposed industry standards such as the Motion Picture Production Code. Films showing explicit sexual activity were confined to privately distributed underground films, such as stag films or "porn loops". Beginning in the late 1960s, mainstream cinemas began pushing boundaries in terms of what was presented on screen. Although the vast majority of sexual situations depicted in mainstream cinema are simulated (in early pornography, the main actors engaged in simulated sex, with inserts placed in the film), on rare occasions actors engage in real sex. The difference between these films and pornography is that, while such scenes might be considered erotic, the intent of these films is not solely pornographic.
Notable examples include two of the eight Bedside-films and the six Zodiac-films from the 1970s, all of which were produced in Denmark and had many pornographic sex scenes, but were nevertheless considered mainstream films (they all had mainstream casts and crews, and premiered in mainstream cinemas). The last of these films, Agent 69 Jensen i Skyttens tegn, was made in 1978. From the end of the 1970s until the late 1990s it was rare to see hardcore scenes in mainstream cinema, but this changed with the success of Lars von Trier's The Idiots (1998), which heralded a wave of art-house films with explicit content, such as Romance (1999), Baise-moi (2000), Intimacy (2001), Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny (2003), and Michael Winterbottom's 9 Songs (2004). Some simulated sex scenes are sufficiently realistic that critics mistakenly believe that they are real, such as the cunnilingus scene in the 2006 film Red Road.
Films with unsimulated sexual activity
The following mainstream films have scenes with verified real sexual activity, meaning actors or actresses are filmed engaging in actual coitus or performing related sexual acts such as fellatio and cunnilingus. This list does not include documentaries about pornography, which may contain unsimulated sexual activity. For example, Inside Deep Throat contains approximately 30 seconds of unsimulated fellatio.
|Un Chant d'Amour (English title: A Song of Love)||1950||A short film directed by Jean Genet that features brief scenes of male masturbation, homosexual groping and a plot entirely focused on voyeurism.||French|
|Gift||1966||One of the first Danish mainstream films with explicit and unsimulated sex scenes.||Danish|
|Dom kallar oss mods (English title: They Call Us Misfits)||1967||Swedish documentary film, the first of a trilogy.||Swedish|
|El Topo||1970||This cult film by Alejandro Jodorowsky contains the real rape scene according to his own book about the film.||Spanish|
|Stille dage i Clichy (English title: Quiet Days in Clichy)||1970||Film, directed by Jens Jørgen Thorsen, is based upon the long banned novel by Henry Miller and contain many explicit sex scenes. One contains penetration.||Danish, English|
|Cry Uncle!||1971||This film by John G. Avildsen shows many unsimulated sex scenes, including full oral penetration.||English|
|Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song||1971||Features many scenes of sex; though it's debated that the scenes are unsimulated. After Peebles came up with the winning ad slogan "rated X by an all-white jury" the film's rating was reduced to R in 1974.||English|
|W.R.: Mysteries of the Organism||1971||Film explores the relationship between communist politics and sexuality, as well as exploring the life and work of Wilhelm Reich. Contains scenes of both various simulated sex acts and non-simulated manual stimulation of a penis.||Serbo-Croatian
|The Love Garden||1971||This film by Mark Haggard features fellatio.||English|
|Pink Flamingos||1972||Oral sex.||English|
|I Jomfruens tegn||1973||First film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Thriller - en grym film (English title: Thriller – A Cruel Picture)||1973||The original Swedish cut of this film, directed by Bo Arne Vibenius contains explicit hardcore inserts.||Swedish|
|A Scream in the Streets||1973||Film by Carl Monson and several other directors contains a few seconds of actual penetration.||English|
|I Tyrens tegn||1974||Second film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Sweet Movie||1974||Another film by director Dušan Makavejev which explores relationship between politics (this time both communism and capitalism) and sexuality. Contains a scene of penis captivus.||English, French, Polish, Spanish, Italian|
|I Tvillingernes tegn||1975||Third film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|Der må være en sengekant||1975||Sixth film in the Danish Bedside-series of erotic mainstream-comedies, and one of the two to have hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|The Image||1975||This film by Radley Metzger, based upon the novel L'Image by Catherine Robbe-Grillet,features many unsimulated sex scenes including S&M, fellatio and lesbian cunnilingus.||English, French|
|Sømænd på sengekanten||1976||Eighth and final film in the Danish Bedside-series of erotic mainstream-comedies, and one of the two to have hardcore scenes, including extensive clips from the short Color Climax #1283: Mail Order Sex (1973), watched on 8mm by the ship's crew.||Danish|
|Une vraie jeune fille (English title: A Real Young Girl or A Real Young Lady)||1976||Features female masturbation, close-up of male and female genitalia (including a man masturbating to ejaculation) and urination scenes.||French|
|I Løvens tegn||1976||Fourth film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|愛のコリーダ (English title: In the Realm of the Senses)||1976||Based on a true story of a Japanese prostitute, features fellatio and other non-simulated sexual acts.||Japanese|
|Fantasm||1976||This film directed by Richard Franklin contains an underwater scene which shows the real oral sex, 69 position, and vaginal intercourse.||English|
|Through the Looking Glass||1976||This film by Jonas Middleton with many experimental and avant-garde elements features hardcore sex scenes, including fellatio.||English|
|Agent 69 Jensen i Skorpionens tegn||1977||Fifth film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|La svastica nel ventre (English title: Nazi Love Camp 27).||1977||This film by Mario Caiano features actual penetration.||Italian|
|L'Ange et la femme (English title: The Angel and the Woman)||1977||This film by Gilles Carle features at least one hardcore sex scene.||French, English|
|Agent 69 Jensen i Skyttens tegn||1978||Sixth and final film in the Danish Zodiac-series of mainstream-comedies with hardcore scenes.||Danish|
|The ABC of Love and Sex: Australia Style||1978||Australian documentary that show actual sex scenes.||English|
|Caligula||1979||Uncut version of this film includes several authentic sex scenes, including penetration, fellatio and ejaculation during the six minutes worth of inserts shot by the film's producer, Bob Guccione. The sex shot by Tinto Brass in the rest of the movie, although very explicit, was simulated.||English|
|Immagini di un convento (English title: Images in a Convent)||1979||This film by Joe D'Amato contains many explicit sex scenes including brutal and unsimulated rape scene.||Italian|
|Cruising||1980||Director William Friedkin spliced in single frames of gay anal intercourse during at least one scene. Partially obscured sex acts, including fellatio and fisting.||English|
|Taxi zum Klo (English title: Taxi to the Toilet)||1980||A film directed by Frank Ripploh features hardcore gay sex scenes.||German, English, French|
|Spetters||1980||This film directed by Paul Verhoeven features explicit hardcore sex scenes, including oral sex.||Dutch|
|Les Fruits de la passion (English title: Fruits of Passion)||1981||This film by Shūji Terayama contains many explicit sex scenes, including unsimulated fellatio.||Cantonese, Japanese, English, French|
|Caligola: La storia mai raccontata (English title: The Emperor Caligula: The Untold Story, or Caligula 2 - The Untold Story)||1982||The uncut European version of this film, directed by Joe D'Amato features penetration, ejaculation and fellato in orgy scene.||Italian|
|Scandale||1982||Based on the true event, this film by George Mihalka contain both softcore and hardcore sex scenes.||French|
|L'alcova (English title: The Alcove)||1985||Film by Joe D'Amato contains a few real sex scenes.||Italian|
|Il Diavolo in Corpo (English title: Devil in the Flesh)||1986||Features a short scene of fellatio, during which the man tells the woman about Lenin's return to St. Petersburg in 1917.||Italian|
|Hotel St. Pauli||1988||This film by Svend Wam shows unsimulated oral sex.||Norwegian, Swedish|
|Paganini (Also known as Kinski Paganini)||1989||A Klaus Kinski's feature film debut and also his last, show many graphic sex scenes, including actual female masturbation.||Italian|
|The Soft Kill||1994||The DVD version of this film, directed by Eli Cohen, features penetration.||English|
|La Fille seule (English title: A Single Girl)||1995||This film by Benoît Jacquot shows an actual sex scene (intercourse) in hotel room.||French|
|Kids||1995||This cult film by Larry Clark contains some contreversial reviews according to bordeline ages of legality in the sexual intercources scenes presented in the film.||English|
|La Vie de Jésus (English title: The Life of Jesus)||1997||"In Life of Jesus, Dumont included extreme close-ups of penetration to emphasize the animal nature of the sex act".||French|
|Idioterne (English title: The Idiots)||1998||This film by Lars von Trier features penetration and group sex.||Danish|
|Fiona||1998||This film directed by Amos Kollek features a brief oral sex scene.||English|
|Seul contre tous (English title: I Stand Alone)||1998||The film is the Gaspar Noé's first feature-length production and features several actual sex scenes.||French|
|Jezus is een Palestijn (English title: Jesus is a Palestinian)||1999||Director Lodewijk Crijns: "From the beginning I swore that there would be a visual penetration in my film. [...] Eventually that scene made it into the film and also in a way which I think is very surprising.||Dutch|
|Romance||1999||Directed by Catherine Breillat, features male and female masturbation, fellatio, penetration, ejaculation, and sadomasochistic bondage.||French|
|Pola X||1999||"Pola X ... acquired international notoriety for unsimulated sex scenes between the characters, though body doubles were reportedly used for the more graphic shots."||French|
|La donna lupo (English title: The Man-Eater)||1999||Film by Aurelio Grimaldi contains scene of actual fellatio.||Italian|
|Guardami||1999||Based on the life of Italian porn actress Moana Pozzi, this film directed by Davide Ferrario shows the real oral sex.||Italian|
|Vampire Strangler||1999||A film by William Hellfire shows the real fellatio by an actress Erin Brown.||English|
|Baise-moi||2000||Several actual sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio, involving.||French|
|Scrapbook||2000||This film by Eric Stanze shows the real fellatio.||English|
|Scarlet Diva||2000||A semi-autobiographical film about the Italian actress and director Asia Argento's life as an actress contain many non-simulated sex scenes according to herself.||English, Italian, French|
|Le Pornographe (English title: The Pornographer)||2001||This film by Bertrand Bonello shows many hardcore sex scenes, including penetration.||French|
|Lucía y el sexo (English title: Sex and Lucia)||2001||This film by Julio Medem contains several real sex scenes, including penetration and fellatio from the porn movie made by one of the film's character as well as manual stimulation of erected penis and cunnilingus performed by and on the another film's character.||Spanish, English|
|Hundstage (English title: Dog Days)||2001||The first fictional feature film by director Ulrich Seidl contains hardcore orgy scene.||German|
|Ken Park||2002||The film was banned in Australia, as the Office of Film and Literature Classification said it contained scenes of "child sexual abuse, actual sex by people depicted as minors and sexualised violence". Cunnilingus, auto-erotic asphyxiation, urination, and group sex acts involving characters that are supposed to be teens are shown explicitly, but the sex is simulated with the exception of one scene showing a young man masturbating. All actors were actually over 18.||English|
|Irréversible (English title: Irresistible)||2002||This film by Gaspar Noé shows unsimulated oral sex.||French|
|La novia de Lázaro (English title: Lazaro’s Girlfriend)||2002||This film by Fernando Merinero features about a minute long scene of explicit fellatio.||Spanish|
|Le loup de la côte Ouest (English title: The Wolf of the West Coast)||2002||A Hugo Santiago film with recognizable stars James Faulkner and Anna Mouglalis features unsimulated sex scenes.||French, English|
|Sud sanaeha (English title: Blissfully Yours)||2002||This film, directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul contains a scene of explicit fellatio.||Thai|
|Choses secrètes (English title: Secret Things)||2002||A Jean-Claude Brisseau film about female sexuality that show many explicit sex scenes, including public masturbation by a female character and hardcore orgy scene. The first film of a trilogy.||French|
|The Brown Bunny||2003||This film by Vincent Gallo features a scene of fellatio.||English|
|Fallo! (English title: Do It! or Private)||2003||Film directed by Tinto Brass contains a real fellatio.||Italian, French, English, Spanish|
|Rossa Venezia||2003||This film by Andreas Bethmann features many hardcore sex scenes, mostly lesbian.||German|
|The Principles of Lust||2003||Film by Penny Woolcock shows an orgy scene with several unsimulated sex acts, including oral sex.||English|
|Bodysong||2003||A 2003 documentary about human life and the human condition directed by Simon Pummell features several hardcore sex scenes, including vaginal penetration, fellatio and cunnilingus.||English|
|Anatomie de l'enfer (English title: Anatomy of Hell)||2004||By director Catherine Breillat, features "actual sex, high-level sex scenes and high-level themes" according to the Australian Classification Review Board.||French|
|9 Songs||2004||Several non-simulated sex scenes, including penetration, fellatio, cunnilingus and ejaculation.||English|
|The Raspberry Reich||2004||Includes unsimulated heterosexual and homosexual sex, Including penetrative oral and anal intercourse.||English|
|Story of the Eye||2004||Based on the novel Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille, this film, directed by Andrew Repasky McElhinney contains many hardcore sex scenes.||English|
|Kärlekens språk 2000||2004||A Swedish sex educational film directed by Anders Lennberg shows many unsimulated sex scenes.||Swedish|
|All About Anna||2005||Producer Innocent Pictures asserted that "[w]ithout the sex scenes, the film's drama would fall apart. This was a particular challenge to the film's cast, who had to cope with the traditional social and human traumas associated with having real sex in front of a camera. Fortunately the film's actors and actresses managed to extend their dramatic performances way beyond the norm and truly managed to push the envelope, achieving new means of dramatic expression. The sex scenes were carefully planned and rehearsed prior to shooting, allowing the actors to stay in character through every embrace and caress."||English|
|8mm 2||2005||A film directed by J. S. Cardone, featuring various erotic scenes that include complete nudity, group sex, female masturbation, oral stimulation, authentic pornography frames, and lesbian cunnilingus.||English|
|Kissing on the Mouth||2005||Film by Joe Swanberg contains the real scene of masturbation with ejaculation.||English|
|天邊一朵雲 (English title: The Wayward Cloud)||2005||This film directed by Tsai Ming-liang features fellatio and penetration.||Mandarin|
|Princesas||2005||This film by Fernando León de Aranoa contains a scene of explicit fellatio.||Spanish|
|Shortbus||2006||Several actors perform real sexual acts including explicit masturbation, autofellatio, coitus, and heterosexual and homosexual fellatio.||English|
|Destricted||2006||Seven short films by artists and film-makers commissioned to "explore the fine line where art and pornography intersect", it "contains strong, real sex".||English|
|Taxidermia||2006||This film, directed by György Pálfi features actual penetration.||Hungarian, English, Russian|
|Les Anges Exterminateurs||2006||The second Jean-Claude Brisseau's film that explores female sexuality. It shows unsimulated female masturbation.||French|
|Auftauchen (Also known as Amour fou)||2006||A Felicitas Korn's feature film debut show several authentic sex scenes.||German|
|Ex Drummer||2007||The real sex scenes were performed by hired porn actors.||Dutch|
|It Is Fine! Everything Is Fine.||2007||This film directed by David Brothers and Crispin Glover contains actual penetration.||English|
|L'histoire de Richard O. (English title: The Story of Richard O.)||2007||This film by Damien Odoul shows numerous real sex scenes.||French, Finnish|
|Import/Export||2007||The second fictional feature film by Ulrich Seidl contains several authentic sex scenes, including female masturbation and anal fingering. The authenticity of the fellatio scene is debatable.||German, Slovak, Russian, English|
|El Búfalo de la noche (English title: The Night Buffalo)||2007||This film by Jorge Hernandez Aldana contains an explicit fellatio.||Spanish|
|Water in Milk Exists||2008||An independent film directed by Lawrence Weiner and Kiki Allgeier, in association with Swiss Institute Contemporary Art New York. The film features several actors performing real penetrative sex and other sexual practices such as female masturbation, male masturbation, mutual masturbation and homosexual fellatio.||English|
|Serbis (English title: Service)||2008||Film, directed by Brillante Mendoza shows an explicit fellatio.||Filipino, Tagalog|
|Tropical Manila||2008||This film, directed by Sang-woo Lee contain several explicit sex acts, including the real fellatio.||Filipino, Korean|
|À l'aventure||2008||The third film by Jean-Claude Brisseau about female sexuality contain many explicit sex scenes, including an authentic female masturbation and orgasm.||French|
|Des Jours Plus Belles Que La Nuit||2009||Also known as "Skin. Like. Sun." this film by Jennifer Lyon Bell and, Murielle Scherre features sex in near real time with two actors Wim van Damme and Floor Wyns.||French|
|Antichrist||2009||This film by Lars von Trier features a scene of penetrative vaginal intercourse, and also includes graphically violent sexual imagery. Body doubles were used to make the film.||English|
|The Band||2009||This film directed by Anna Brownfield features numerous sequences of unsimulated sex.||English|
|Enter the Void||2009||This film, directed by Gaspar Noé shows vaginal penetration.||English, Japanese|
|I Want Your Love||2010||A 2010 short film and a 2012 feature-length film, both directed by Travis Mathews, featuring homosexual fellatio and male-male anal sex.||English|
|Bedways||2010||This film by Rolf Peter Kahl shows the real sex scenes, including a ten minutes long scene of masturbation.||German|
|The Bunny Game||2010||This film directed by Adam Rehmeier contains an explicit scene of fellatio.||English|
|Killer Bitch||2010||Controversial in many aspects, this film by Liam Galvin contains real sex scenes according to executive producer John Fleming.||English|
|Año bisiesto (English title: Leap Year)||2010||Film by Michael Rowe features unsimulated sex scenes.||Spanish|
|Gandu||2010||An Indian film, directed by Qaushiq Mukherjee contains actual sex scenes.||Bengali|
|Q (English title: Desire)||2011||A 2011 French film, directed by Laurent Bouhnik, which features several graphic unsimulated depictions of sex.||French|
|Hotel Desire||2011||This short film directed by Sergej Moya contains unsimulated sex scene between the actors Saralisa Volm and Clemens Schick.||German|
|愛很爛 (English title: Love Actually... Sucks!)||2011||A Hong Kong film, directed by Scud, features fellatio.||Mandarin, Cantonese, English|
|Caged||2011||A 2011 Dutch film directed by Stephan Brenninkmeijer contain several explicit hardcore sex scenes.||Dutch|
|Léa||2011||This film, directed by Bruno Rolland, contains unsimulated scene of cunniligus.||French|
|Sexual Chronicles of a French Family||2012||Jean-Marc Barr, co-director of the film, said 'that the DVD is the “sensual” version of the film. A “sexual” version—four minutes longer, and showcasing erections and penetration—also exists.'||French|
|Clip||2012||This film by Maja Milos contains several explicit sex scenes, including fellatio. Body doubles, prosthetics, and visual effects were also used for some scenes. The film was banned in Russia as child pornography due to the young age of some of the actors.||Serbian|
|Starlet||2012||This film by Sean S. Baker contains a scene of penetration.||English|
|Joven y alocada (English title: Young and Wild)||2012||A Chilean film, directed by Marially Rivas, features many explicit sex scenes, including several real sex inserts.||Spanish|
|Marfa Girl||2012||A film by Larry Clark containing similar issues than with his cult Ken Park. The consequences were less extreme according to the streaming distribution instead of a public cinema diffusion.||English|
|Nymphomaniac||2013||To produce scenes of unsimulated sex, director Lars von Trier had the genitals of porn actors digitally composited onto the bodies of the film's cast.||English|
|Pornopung||2013||A 2013 Norwegian film, directed by Johan Kaos features scene of explicit fellatio.||Norwegian|
|Feuchtgebiete (English title: Wetlands)||2013||Film by David Wnendt contains the real masturbation scene by several people with ejaculations.||German|
|Pasolini||2014||A film by Abel Ferrara about the final day in the life of Pier Paolo Pasolini show several actual sex scenes, including fellatio.||English, Italian, French|
Porno films re-edited for mainstream release
Prior to the advent of home video, a number of hardcore pornography films were released to mainstream cinemas. In most cases, scenes of penetration were either cut out or replaced with alternate shots. One exception to this was Deep Throat, which was released uncensored.
Examples of this type of hybrid release include Alice in Wonderland (1976), shot as X-rated, but first released as an R-rated version — afterwards, the uncut version was released; Café Flesh (1982) — the R-rated version of this science fiction porn film was released to mainstream cinemas; Stocks and Blondes (1984), originally available as Wanda Whips Wall Street; and Droid (1988), originally released as Cabaret Sin in 1987.
- Dirks, Tim. "History of Sex in Cinema: The Greatest and Most Influential Sexual Films and Scenes". Filmsite.org. American Movie Classic Company. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Corliss, Richard (29 March 2005). "That Old Feeling: When Porno Was Chic". TIME. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Hohendal, Kristin (1 July 2001). "Film Goes All the Way (In the Name of Art)". New York Times. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Gerrard, Nicci (3 October 1999). "Coming soon to a cinema near you". The Observer (London). Retrieved 4 December 2009. "Catherine Breillat's controversial French film, Romance, has just been given an 18 certificate by the British Board of Film Classification. It will be granted the respectability of mainstream cinemas round the country. It has been passed because it is 'philosophical', not pornographic. It is about sexual relationships, not an aid to sexual gratification."
- Jensen, Michael (November 2006). "LEGITIMIZING ILLEGITIMACY: IDENTITY SPACES AND MARKETS FOR ILLEGITIMATE PRODUCTS". Organizations & Markets Workshop (Chicago Booth).
- "Explicit Euro-sex test for British censors". The Guardian (London). 22 February 1999. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Wilmington, Michael (27 August 2001). "Graphic Sex Scenes on Film Causing Little Fuss--for Now". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Fuller, Graham (October 2001). "Shots in the Dark - sex in current French films". Interview. Retrieved 4 December 2009.[dead link]
- Dalton, Stephen (7 October 2006). "Sealed with a Glasgow kiss". The Times (London). Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- A Film Review by James Berardinelli.
- "EARLY GAY CINEMA: JEAN GENET’S ‘UN CHANT D’AMOUR’".
- Ebbe Villadsen: Danish Erotic Film Classics (2005).
- Robertson, Patrick (1991). The Guinness Book of Movie Facts & Feats (4th ed.). Guinness. p. 62. ISBN 0-85112-908-0.
- Jodorowsky, Alexandro (1971). El Topo: A Book of the Film (1ST ed.). Douglas Links. ISBN 9780825634017.
- Deming, Mark. "Quiet Days in Clichy:Critics' Reviews".
- "REVIEW:Cry Uncle (1971)". 25 January 2010.
- Van Peebles, Melvin. The Real Deal: What It
Was...Is!. Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song DVD, Xenon Entertainment Group, 2003. ISBN 1-57829-750-8.
- Glenn Erickson (12 June 2007). "WR: Mysteries of the Organism". DVD Savant.
- James Klein. THE SUCKERS / THE LOVE GARDEN. UnRated Film Magazine. 23 July 2013
- "Pink Flamingos".
- Kurly Tlapoyawa. Thriller: A Cruel Picture. alibi.com.
- Carroll Jenkins. Thriller: They Call Her One Eye (Vengeance Edition). 10,000 Bullets. June 11th, 2014
- Stuart Willis. A Scream In The Streets. Sex Gore Mutants.
- Cochran, Edgar. "Sweet Movie". Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- Atanasov, Dr. Svet (June 11, 2011). "The Image Blu-ray Review". www.blu-ray.com. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Une vraie jeune fille (1976) - Plot keywords.
- Maass, Dave (28 February 2008). "Real Sex in Unreal Films: Penetrating movies that aren't pornos". Film.com. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Kehr, Dave (24 April 2009). "Nagisa Oshima's Realm of Restraint and Precision". New York Times. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Casey Scott. Fantasm (1976).
- Through the Looking Glass. Beardy Freak [42ndStreetFreak]
- Nazi Love Camp 27. April 19, 2009
- A Film Review.
- J.R. McNamaraLodewij. The ABC's of Love and Sex: Australia Style. Digital Retribution. August 31, 2012.
- Caligula: A Film Review by David Carter.
- Stuart Galbraith IV. Reviews: Images in a Convent. Media Blasters. June 14, 2005
- Peter Bradshaw. Taxi zum Klo – review. The Guardian. 21 April 2011
- TIFF’s Flesh + Blood: The Films of Paul Verhoeven Review: Spetters (1980). OLLIE ENGLAND. FEBRUARY 12, 2014
- Moskowitz, Gene (27 May 1981). "Les Fruits de la Passion". Variety.
- Caligula 2 - The Untold Story (1982). 4 August 2010. (German)
- Ralph Elawani. Scandale. Canuxploitation.
- The Alcove (1985). Severin Films
- Canby, Vincent (29 May 1987). "Devil in the Flesh (1986)". New York Times. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Hume, Christopher (13 August 1986). "Sex act offends censor festival film ordered cut". Toronto Star. Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- Hotel St. Pauli.
- David Arrate. Kinski Paganini (Mya Communication). 10.000 Bullets. November 24, 2011.
- Greg Wroblewski. The Soft Kill. Movie House Commentary.
- Stephen O'Shea. Review: ‘A Single Girl’. variety.com. January 14, 1996
- Erickson, Steve (29 November 2000). "Mysteries of Love". Minneapolis City Pages. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Lister, David (17 May 1998). "Actors had real sex for Cannes movie". The Independent (London). Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- Naughty Netflix: Fiona. November 17, 2009
- Seul contre tous (1998). The World's Greatest Critic.
- Lodewijk Crijns. Spirituele extase door middel van piercing. De Filmkrant. February 1999 (Dutch)
- Adair, Gilbert (28 September 1999). "Welcome to planet porn". Independent (London). Retrieved 29 November 2009.
- "Guillaume Depardieu: French actor". The Times (London). 15 October 2008. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Derek Elley. Review: ‘Maneater’. Variety. OCTOBER 11, 1999
- Vampire Strangler. Movie House Commentary
- Tim Adams (26 November 2006). "Everybody's doing it...". The Guardian (London: Guardian News and Media Limited).
- Review of Scrapbook (2000). BLOGGING FOR CANNIBALS. April 29, 2014
- Head Cheeze. Scarlet Diva. Horror View.
- Scott Weinberg. The Pornographer. June 14, 2005
- Sex and Lucia - Comparison: R-rated/Unrated version..
- Film of the Month: Dog Days..
- Maddox, Gary (16 June 2003). "Filmmaker defends the 'real' Ken Park". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 13 January 2010.[dead link]
- "Irresistible". Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- Eddie Cockrell. Review: ‘Lazaro’s Girlfriend’. Variety. AUGUST 26, 2002
- Wolf of the West Coast. Women in Prison Films. February 13, 2013
- Ben Sillis. Blissfully Yours. EyeForFilm.co.uk. 6 July 2006.
- Charles Taylor. “Secret Things”. Salon.com. February 20.
- Gilbey, Ryan (16 February 2008). "Chloë's world". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- Mark R. Hasan. BR: Private / Fallo! / Do It! (2003). KQEK
- Zev Toledano. Andreas Bethmann. The Worldwide Celluloid Massacre
- David Stanners. The Principles Of Lust. EyeForFilm.co.uk. 11 March 2004
- Deborah Young. Review: ‘Bodysong’. Variety. February 18, 2003.
- Maddox, Garry (8 July 2004). "Censors refuse to ban film depicting real sex". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 28 November 2009.
- A Quick Chat with Bruce LaBruce - interview about the film.
- Dave Kehr. Exploring the Temptation to Look (and to Look Away). New York Times. September 22, 2004
- FILM KÄRLEKENS SPRÅK 2000. kinomusorka.ru
- "'All About Anna': About the Film". Innocent Pictures. Retrieved 28 December 2009.[dead link]
- "8mm 2 Comparison: Rated and Unrated (Movie-Censorship.com)".
- Don R. Lewis. Kissing on the Mouth. September 14, 2006
- Nathan Lee. Watermelon-Eating Contest!. The Village Voice. 13 February 2007
- Sarah Cronin. Tsai Ming-Liang. Electric Sheep Magazine. 1 November 2007
- Keith Phipps. Princesas. The Onion A.V. Club. August 23, 2006
- Brian D. Johnson (2 June 2006). "Sook-Yin Lee shocker in Cannes | Macleans.ca - Culture - Lifestyle". Macleans.ca. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- Reynolds, Nigel (6 July 2006). "Hard-core sex film to be premiered as art at Tate Modern". Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- "Destricted Art and Sex". Tate Modern. 9 September 2006. Retrieved 4 December 2009.
- Taxidermia. DREAD CENTRAL. April 5th, 2010
- A.O.Scott. A Cerebral Skin Flick. New York Times. March 7, 2007
- Joachim Kurz. Auftauchen. kino-zeit.de. 11.09.2008 (German)
- Peter Sciretta. Sundance: It is Fine! EVERYTHING IS FINE. Movie Review. slashfilm.com. January 25th, 2007
- Alexandra Pascalidou. The Story of Richard O. Stockholm Film Festival
- Marco Duran. Import/Export. DVD Verdict. February 4th, 2010
- El Bufalo De La Noche (2007, Mex.) (aka The Night Buffalo)..
- "Water in milk exist Estímulo visual (Spanish)".
- Jay Weissberg. Review: ‘Service’. Variety.com. May 18, 2008
- Tropical Manila SD-2008. International Film Festival Rotterdam.
- À l'Aventure. DVD Times. 8th July 2009.
- Gary Tooze. À l'Aventure. DVDBeaver.
- Feminist Pornography and the Stakes of Sex at So To Speak: A Feminist Journal of Language and Art
- "RT Interview: Lars von Trier on Antichrist". 22 July 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2010.
- Tyler Foster. The Band. February 16, 2010
- M. TSAI. Enter the Void. Memoirs of a Gaijin
- "Gay sex too much for Australian film censor". 22 February 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- Bedways – Movie Review. APRIL 4, 2011
- The Bunny Game: An Ecstatic Vision Quest of Torture, Death, and Rebirth. February 6, 2011
- How to make the world’s worst movie: take one Scots producer and add some sex, death and Mr Katie Price. herald scotland. 2 May 2010
- Caterina Benincasa. Late review - London Film Fest 2010 Day 5 - LEAP YEAR / ANO BISIESTO. Bina007 Movies. November 26, 2010
- Mike S. Ryan. GANDU. Hammer to nail. January 30, 2011
- Libiot, Eric (9 September 2011). "Q: Un film sur le désir et l'amour, mais raté." (in French). L'Express. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Über die Sex-Szenen in Hotel Desire". TIKonline.de.
- Raymond Ko. Love Actually... Sucks! – Scud’s latest film censored. 25 Jul 2011.
- Recensie: Caged (Stephan Brenninkmeijer, 2011). De Nachtvlinders. 3 September 2011 (Dutch)
- Léa. FilmBizarro.com.
- Gary M. Kramer, Sexual Chronicle of a French Family, San Francisco Bay Times, October 18, 2012, p. 23
- Uncut version at Amazon.de
- "Maja Milos". ScreenDaily. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Maja Milos Exclusive Interview - LFF 2012". Female First. 17 October 2012.
- "Clip filmmakers respond to Russian ban of film". Screen Daily. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- Don Simpson. Starlet | Review. Smells Like Screen Spirit. March 12, 2012
- Young and Wild. DVD Verdict. July 26th, 2013
- Lanxon, Nate (22 May 2013). "Hardcore sex in 'Nymphomaniac' puts porn actor genitals on cast's bodies". Wired UK. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- Stig-Lennart Sørensen. Filmanmeldelse: «Pornopung». Videomagasinet. (Norwegian)
- Eric Kohn. Locarno Film Festival Review: Is 'Wetlands' the Most Disgusting Coming of Age Movie Of All Time?. IndieWire. August 15, 2013.
- Caterina Benincasa. PASOLINI - LFF14 - Day Three. Bina007 Movie Reviews. October 10, 2014.
- Alice in Wonderland (1976/I).
- Peary, Danny (1988). Cult Movies 3. New York: Simon & Schuster Inc. pp. 52–56. ISBN 0-671-64810-1.
- What Blockbuster Didn't Bust Blockbuster's inconsistent ratings policy -- The video rental store cracks down on X and NC-17 rated films, but ignores racier unrated fare like Wild Orchid, Ty Burr, Entertainment Weekly, 29 March 1991.
- Villadsen, Ebbe (2005): Danish Erotic Film Classics.
- Williams, Linda Ruth (2005): The Erotic Thriller in Contemporary Cinema. Indiana University Press. ISBN 0-253-34713-0.