Untitled (How Could This Happen to Me?)
|"Untitled (How Could This Happen to Me?)"|
|Single by Simple Plan|
|from the album Still Not Getting Any...|
|Released||April 1, 2005|
|Simple Plan singles chronology|
"Untitled (How Could This Happen to Me?)" a song by Canadian pop punk group Simple Plan. It was released in April 2005 as the third single from their second studio album, Still Not Getting Any.... The song's official title, when the CD was released, was simply "Untitled".
The music video of this song tells a story of a car accident on a rainy evening where a young male drunk driver crashed his sedan head-on into a trans am driven by a female which results in her death. The drunk driver however stayed alive relatively uninjured, and ended up captured by the FBI and BATF. It was filmed near the famous tunnel in Griffith Park .
The video shows a family doing things such as; a high school student is seen playing video games in his bedroom, another high school student is doing her homework in her bedroom, the mom is in her house's kitchen washing dishes and the dad is working in his office. Then abruptly, the entire family is violently thrown into the walls surrounding them as the boy falls out of his bedroom window and the dad lands on his computer just as the two vehicles collide. In a joint letter with MADD, Simple Plan explained the events in the video:
|“||This song is a very personal look at what happens when tragedy hits close to home and we wanted to make a video that was as powerful and as special as the song was to the five of us.
Over the last few years, a lot of people we know have been involved in tragic accidents caused by drinking and driving. One of the students at our high-school crashed his car driving back from a weekend trip and killed his best friend. It was a very sad time that none of us will ever forget.
This is the story we wanted to tell with this video: the story of all the innocent victims caused by drinking and driving. We hope you will take the time to watch the video. Thanks for all your support.
In other media
When performed live, the guitar solo in the middle of the song is performed by Bouvier. Lead guitarist Jeff Stinco plays a semi-acoustic guitar until the end of the solo, while rhythm guitarist Sébastien Lefebvre and drummer Chuck Comeau come in at the beginning of the solo. Bassist Desrosiers' main role in this song is backing vocals, with his bass easing back a bit.
- "How Could This Happen to Me?" - 3:28
- "Welcome to My Life" (Live) - 4:13
- "Jump" (Live) - 3:48
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||17|
|Canada (Nielsen SoundScan)||3|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||52|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||36|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||20|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||7|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||183|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||49|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||10,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Simple Plan Fight Drunk Driving With MADD
- Simple Plan Team Up With MADD For Anti-Drunk Driving Campaign
- "Australian-charts.com – Simple Plan – Untitled (How Could This Happen to Me?)". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Simple Plan – Untitled (How Could This Happen to Me?)" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200626 into search.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Simple Plan search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Simple Plan – Untitled (How Could This Happen to Me?)". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Simple Plan – Untitled (How Could This Happen to Me?)". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Simple Plan – Untitled (How Could This Happen to Me?)". Swiss Singles Chart.
- Chart Log UK
- #49 in the US
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2005 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Canadian single certifications – Simple Plan – Untitled". Music Canada.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 2007" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.