|Directed by||Marc Lawrence|
|Produced by||Liz Glotzer
|Written by||Marc Lawrence|
|Music by||Clyde Lawrence|
|Edited by||Ken Eluto|
Castle Rock Entertainment
The Rewrite is a romantic comedy film starring Hugh Grant as a washed-up screenwriter who begins teaching at a state university and Marisa Tomei as a single mom with whom the screenwriter finds romance. The film is directed by Marc Lawrence based on a screenplay he wrote. It began development at Castle Rock Entertainment in October 2012, and filming began in New York in April 2013.
The Rewrite premiered at a gala screening at the Shanghai International Film Festival on June 15, 2014. The film is scheduled to be released in theaters in the United Kingdom on October 8, 2014. A theatrical release in the United States is scheduled for February 13.
Keith Michaels (Grant) is a washed-up British screenwriter who won the Academy Award for Best Screenplay in 1998. Since then, he had divorced and gone broke. He begins teaching a screenwriting course at Binghamton University in upstate New York and falls in love with a single mother (Tomei).
- Hugh Grant as Keith Michaels
- Marisa Tomei as Holly Carpenter
- Bella Heathcote as Karen
- Allison Janney as Mary Weldon
- J. K. Simmons as Dr. Lerner
- Chris Elliott as Jim
The Rewrite is written and directed by Marc Lawrence. The project began development at Castle Rock Entertainment. In October 2012, actor Hugh Grant was cast in the film's starring role. His casting marked the fourth collaboration between Lawrence, Castle Rock, and Grant. Their previous films were Two Weeks Notice, Music and Lyrics, and Did You Hear About the Morgans? In November 2012, actor Marisa Tomei entered negotiations to star opposite Grant. In the following March, Bella Heathcote joined the cast. Variety reported, "This film would give Heathcote some lighter material after breaking out in serious projects," referring to In Time and Not Fade Away. Later in the month, Allison Janney, J. K. Simmons, and Chris Elliott joined the cast.
Filming began in New York in April 2013.
FilmNation Entertainment handled sales of The Rewrite 's distribution in territories outside the United States. The film premiered at a gala screening at the Shanghai International Film Festival on June 15, 2014. Distributor Lionsgate scheduled the film to be released in theaters in the United Kingdom on October 8, 2014.
The Hollywood Reporter 's Elizabeth Kerr said The Rewrite was not groundbreaking as a romantic comedy but that "it is a pleasant diversion for fans of the form". Kerr considered the film an improvement from Did You Hear About the Morgans? (2009) and said while it was initially similar to Liberal Arts (2012) with "its aggressive academic and literary tone", it fell back on romantic comedy conventions. The film critic found that Grant "embraces his maturity" as an older version of his typical character but that Tomei's character was "painfully underwritten". Kerr said the supporting characters would be forgettable if the actors cast were not so strong.
- "Marc Lawrence's Hugh Grant Comedy heading for production". wearefilmnation.com (FilmNation Entertainment). March 27, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- Siegel, Tatiana (October 22, 2012). "Hugh Grant to Star in Marc Lawrence's Untitled Romantic Comedy for Castle Rock". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Foreman, Liza (November 21, 2012). "Marisa Tomei Could Get Romantic With Hugh Grant in 'Untitled Marc Lawrence Project'". The Wrap. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- McNary, Dave (March 7, 2013). "Bella Heathcote Back to School in Laffer". Variety.
- Cox, Gordon (March 27, 2013). "J.K. Simmons, Chris Elliott Join Hugh Grant Comedy". Variety.
- Hanna, Beth (April 17, 2013). "Hugh Grant's Return to Rom-Com, Untitled Marc Lawrence Film, Goes Into Production". Indiewire. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- McNary, Dave (January 23, 2013). "FilmNation to handle Marc Lawrence comedy". Variety.
- Frater, Patrick (June 4, 2014). "Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Jackie Chan Among Stars Set to Shine at Shanghai Festival". Variety. Retrieved June 16, 2014.
- "The 17th Shanghai International Film Festival – Schedule of Shanghai International Film Festival". siff.com. Shanghai International Film Festival. Retrieved June 16, 2014.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (August 28, 2014). "Watch: First Trailer For Rom-Com 'The Rewrite' Starring Hugh Grant And Marisa Tomei". The Playlist (Indiewire). Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Kerr, Elizabeth (June 18, 2014). "'The Rewrite': Shanghai Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 19, 2014.