Unzipped (TV series)
|Also known as||Britain Unzipped (series 1)|
|Directed by||Graham Proud
|Presented by||Russell Kane
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||14|
|Executive producer(s)||Leon Wilson
|Location(s)||Riverside Studios, London|
|Running time||60 minutes (Series 1)
45 minutes (Series 2)
|Original channel||BBC Three|
|Original release||24 April 2012 – 21 November 2012|
In the show, presenters Greg and Russell try to find out what is weird and wonderful about the people of Britain. Over the course of six weeks, they asked a total of five-hundred questions to people, and put together the 'Britain Unzipped Report', made up of statistics taken from the overall answer to each question. Such questions include 'Have you ever woken up and had no idea where you were?' and 'would you watch a friends sex tape if it was leaked on the internet?'. They then ask these questions to a celebrity guest, and to special members of the audience, the 'Britain Unzipped Sample', which have been specifically chosen to be the most likely to give entertaining answers.
James said of the series: "I'm pretty sure we live in a nation full of characters – this show will find out once and for all just how weird we actually are. It'll also make me feel better about how often my Internet history is cleared!" Kane commented: "I am absolutely thrilled to be involved in this project. Given that I don't even have a clue who I am, I'm going to enjoy picking apart who everyone else is." BBC Three controller Zai Bennett says of the series: "Britain Unzipped will be a unique show examining the state of the nation that is the BBC Three audience. With Greg and Russell at the helm it promises to be an irreverent and hilarious look at exactly what our audience are up to and what they think of one another."
On 11 June 2012, less than a week after the first series ended, it was announced that Britain Unzipped had been recommissioned for a second series. On 6 August 2012, it was announced on the official Facebook of BBC Three that Britain Unzipped would be returning as Unzipped and not as Britain Unzipped, though a reason for this has not yet been given. The second series began on BBC Three on 3 October 2012.
Features of the series include:
- Normality Rating (Series 1-2) - Greg and Russell ask questions from the unzipped report to their celebrity guest(s), to find out if they are normal or abnormal. Their answers are calculated into a normality rating percentage and then placed on a chart which rates from boring to super weird. At the end of the series, the weirdest celebrity of all becomes the winner.
- Man vs. Woman (Series 1) - Greg and Russell pit a man and woman against each other in a three question shootout, to see which gender is most down-to-earth. The winning gender receives a number of prizes based on their gender.
- The Reality Check (Series 2) - In the second series, the celebrity guest(s) play against two people from the unzipped sample under the same rules as Man vs. Woman but this thime, the prizes are based on or related to the celebrity guests who are present on the show that week, such as albums, books etc.
- Celebs Unzipped (Series 1) - Greg and Russell invite their celebrity guest(s) to attempt to win booze for the entire audience by answering five questions correctly based on confessions made by nine celebrities for the celebrity guest to choose on a tic-tac-toe board.
- Celebrity Confessions (Series 2) - In the second series, the celebrity guests now need to answer three questions correctly to win booze for the audience and the tic-tac-toe board was replaced by a fictional spinning on-screen wheel to decide which of the celebrity confessions the celebrity guests will be attempting to answer.
|Episode||Air date||Guest(s)||Normality rating||Man vs. Woman|
|1||24 April 2012||Holly Willoughby|
|2||1 May 2012||Christine Bleakley|
|3||8 May 2012||Emily Atack
|4||15 May 2012||Kimberly Wyatt|
|5||29 May 2012||Charlie Brooks
|6||5 June 2012||Chelsee Healey
|Episode||Air date||Guest(s)||Weirdo of the Week||The Reality Check|
|1||3 October 2012||Anthony Joshua
|Anthony Joshua||Sara Cox wins|
|2||10 October 2012||Fearne Cotton
|Aiden Grimshaw||Fearne wins|
|3||17 October 2012||Nancy Dell'Olio
|Nancy Dell'Olio||Nancy Dell'Olio wins|
|4||24 October 2012||Emma Bunton
|5||31 October 2012||Harry Judd
|Danny Jones||Unzipped Sample win|
|6||7 November 2012||Example
|Example||Unzipped Sample win|
|7||14 November 2012||Danny Dyer
|Danny Dyer||Celebrities win|
|8||21 November 2012||The Best of Unzipped||Nancy Dell'Olio1||N/A|
1 Nancy Dell'Olio was voted 'Weirdo of the Series'.
|Series||Start date||End date||Episodes|
|1||24 April 2012||5 June 2012||6|
|2||3 October 2012||21 November 2012||8|
- "Britain Unzipped commissioned for BBC Three". 6 February 2012.
- "New BBC 3 commission Britain Unzipped to unearth what britons really get up to". 16 March 2012.
- "Britain Unzipped will return to BBC Three". 11 June 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Britain Unzipped will return as 'Unzipped'". 6 August 2012.
- "Unzipped returns to BBC for a second series". 6 August 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2012.