Up! (Shania Twain song)
|Single by Shania Twain|
|from the album Up!|
|Released||January 6, 2003 (Country)
March 11, 2003 (Canada)
November 17, 2003 (UK)
March 8, 2004 (EU)
5" CD single
3.5" CD single
|Genre||Country, Pop rock, world|
|Writer(s)||Robert John "Mutt" Lange,
|Producer(s)||Robert John "Mutt" Lange|
|Shania Twain singles chronology|
"Up!" is a song co-written and recorded by Canadian country music singer Shania Twain. It is the title track and second country single from her album of the same name. The song was written by Twain and her then husband, Mutt Lange. "Up!" was originally released to North American country radio on January 6, 2003. "I'm Not in the Mood (To Say No)!" was to be released to pop radio alongside "Up!" but this release was cancelled. It was released as a Double A-Side single with "When You Kiss Me" to the UK on November 17, 2003. And finally as the sixth and final single to Europe on March 8, 2004. Although "Up!" only made top 10 in Canada and Hungary, it was still included on Twain's 2004 Greatest Hits package, as a fan favorite. At the 2004 Juno Awards, "Up!" was named Country Recording of the Year.
Reviews for "Up!" were favorable with Billboard calling the song "life-loving [and] instantly singable," and predicted "this one sounds like it's got the goods to go the distance". About.com praised the technical side of the song by saying "[t]he production is solid and Shania's tone is as good as ever vocally".
The music video for "Up!" was shot by Antti J in Madrid, alongside some scenes for the video of "Ka-Ching!". It was filmed in early January 2003 and released on January 11, 2003. All three album versions of the song were released: Red, Green and Blue. The video shows Twain in a white room, decorating a wall with memorabilia and photographs related to Shania. These include a glove from the "That Don't Impress Me Much" video, an AC/DC t-shirt worn on her Rolling Stone magazine cover, one picture of her parents, another with her dog and a Canadian flag. The video won the MuchMoreMusic Video of the Year Award at the 2003 MuchMusic Video Awards. Commercially it is available on select CD singles, the DVD-Audio version of Up! and at the iTunes Store.
"Up!" debuted on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart the week of November 16, 2002, at number 57, based on album play alone, yet was still the highest debut of the week. The single spent 20 weeks on the chart and climbed to a peak position of number 12 on March 8, 2003, where it remained for one week. "Up!" became Twain's eighteenth top twenty single. On the Hot 100, "Up!" peaked at number 63 and at number 62 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart.
As one of the first singles from the Up!, the song" was performed on several televised programs to boost sales of the album, and airplay of the single. The first performance was in Edmonton at the 2002 Grey Cup. In New York City, the song was performed on The Today Show, two days later. Twain head to Australia to promote the album where she performed the single on Rove Live. Back in America, the song was performed in a medley with "I'm Gonna Getcha Good!" at the American Music Awards. The next day Shania appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and performed "Up!". The most watched performance of the song was at Super Bowl XXXVII, where she performed it alongside "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!". In April 2003, Twain opened the 2003 Juno Awards with "Up!".
- Red Album Version (2:53)
- Green Album Version (2:53)
- Blue Album Version (3:13)
UK Maxi Single:
Australia CD Single - Part 1
Australia CD Single - Part 2
Canada CD Single
Europe CD Maxi
Europe CD Single
Germany 3" CD Single
UK/Japan Dual Disc
- "UP!" (Red Version)- 2:53
- "UP!" (Green Version) - 2:53
- (Bonus Track 1) "I'm Gonna' Get Ya Good!" (Red Version)
- (Bonus Track 2) "I'm Gonna' Get Ya Good" (Green Version)
- "UP!" (Green Version) (Video)
- "I'm Gonna' Get Ya Good!" (Red Version) (Video Only)
- Photo Gallery
- Bonus Live Video: In My Car, I'll Be The Driver (Clifford Version)
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||26|
|Canadian Singles Chart||2|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||42|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||3|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||27|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||51|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||12|
|US Billboard Hot 100||63|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||58|
- http://www.shaniatwain.com/about-awards.asp Shania Twain awards
- Billboard, January 11, 2003
- CD Review: Up - Shania Twain - By Matt Bjorke
- http://www.shania.com/upsingles.htm#singlevid Video information
- "Australian-charts.com – Shania Twain – Up!". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Shania Twain – Up!" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Chartverfulgong > Twain,Shania > Up – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Charts.org.nz – Shania Twain – Up!". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swisscharts.com – Shania Twain – Up!". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Shania Twain Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Shania Twain.
- "Shania Twain Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Shania Twain.
- "Best of 2003: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2003. Retrieved July 13, 2012.