Up Dharma Down
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
|Up Dharma down|
Up Dharma Down during their 'Bipolar' album launch, Hexagon Lounge, RCBC Plaza, Makati, 2008
Up Dharma Down is an award-winning Filipino rock band. Their discography contains three LPs, 2006's Fragmented, 2008's Bipolar and 2012's Capacities (all under independent record label Terno Recordings).
Mark Cole's BBC show tagged them as the Asian band to most likely cross over to North American shores, and has been featured in numerous regional shows together with bands such as Arcade Fire (Canada) and Bloc Party (UK). Their eclectic music gave them the leverage to stand above most local bands in the Philippines, enough to be featured in the July 2007 issue of Time Magazine.
The band was the opening act for Incubus' Light Grenades Pacific Rim Tour Manila stop at Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City on March 9, 2008. In 2005, the band won the coveted In The Raw Award at the NU 107 Rock Awards as well as Best New Artist and Best Female Award for vocalist and keyboardist, Armi Millare, in 2006. In 2008, they were awarded Favorite Indie Artist at the Myx Music Awards.
- Armi Millare - keyboards, vocals
- Carlos Tanada - lead guitars
- Ean Mayor - drums and loops
- Paul Yap - bass
- Fragmented (2006, Terno Recordings)
- Bipolar (2008, Terno Recordings)
- Capacities (2012, Terno Recordings)
- "Maybe" (from Fragmented)
- "Pag-Agos" (from Fragmented) played by the original Drummer:
- "Oo" (from Fragmented)
- "Hiwaga" (from Fragmented)
- "We Give In Sometimes" (from Fragmented)
- "Every First Second" (from Bipolar)
- "Sana" (from Bipolar)
- "Taya" (from Bipolar)
- "Turn It Well" (from Capacities)
- "Tadhana" (from Capacities)
- "Indak" (from Capacities)
- Hopia Mani Popcorn (The Best of Manila Sound) - "Bitin Sa'yo"
- Kami nAPO Muna Ulit (APO Hiking Society Tribute Album) - "Kaibigan"
- Today is T-shirt Day - "Malikmata (Side Sampler Remix)"
- Environmentally Sound: A Select Anthology of Songs Inspired by the Earth - "Maybe"
- "We Give In Sometimes" (from Fragmented)
- Ang Pamana (The Inheritance) - "Flicker"
- Mayohan - "Hiwaga [Acoustic Version]"
- Ilumina (TV Series) - "Tadhana"
- Sana Dati (Cinemalaya 2013) - "Indak"
- Coca-Cola Philippines 2006 - "Buhay Coke, Sarap Mo"
- Lipton Tea Philippines 2007 - "Clarity"
- Belo Philippines 2008 - "Taya"
- McDonald's Philippines 2008 - "Float Away"
- "Sana Dalawa Ang Puso Ko" - Bodjie Dasig
- "One on One" - Hall and Oates
- "Here Comes The Rain Again" - Eurythmics
- Globe Tatt Awards 2011 Indie Rocker Category
- AVIMA 2010 Best Female Vocalist
- AVIMA 2010 Best Video (Sana)
- AVIMA 2009 Best Female Vocalist
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2009 Artist of the Year
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2009 Album of the Year
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2009 Vocalist of the Year
- MYX MYX Music Awards 2008 Favorite Indie Artist
- NU 107 Rock 2005 In The Raw Award
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2006 Best New Artist
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2006 Best Female Award
- Yahoo Ph OMG 2011 "Coolest Band"
- Myx Music Awards 2008 Favorite Indie Artist
- Myx Music Awards 2007 Favorite Indie Artist
- MTV Video Music Awards 2006 Best Video For “Pag-Agos”
- MTV Video Music Awards 2006 Best New Artist
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2006 Vocalist of the Year
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2006 Guitarist of the Year
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2006 Bassist of the Year
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2006 Rising Sun Award
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2006 Song of the Year for "Oo"
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2006 Album of the Year "Fragmented"
- NU 107 Rock Awards 2006 Noel de Brackinghe, Sweetspot and Up dharma Down for Producer of the Year
- First Filipino Band to be featured in MTV's “Advanced Warning”, showcasing up-and-coming artists in the Asian region and worldwide.
- Featured in Mark Coles' BBC Radio Show as the "Manila band most likely to cross over to the lucrative Anglophone market of North America."
- Featured in July issue of Time Magazine
- Featured as one of Metromix USA's "Bands We Like"
Up Dharma Down joined the PETA campaign, Free Mali in 2013; appearing in a mug shot photo shoot, holding a sign saying they want Mali freed. Mali is the only captive elephant in the Philippines. She currently resides at Manila Zoo alone, in a tiny enclosure and in need of proper care. The campaign wants her to be moved to Boon Lotts Elephant Sanctuary 
- dela Cruz, Karen (2008-11-11). "Up dharma Down turns "Bipolar"". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- Up dharma Down official site
- Time Magazine Article
- Up dharma Down on Last.fm
- Official Twitter
- Official Facebook
- Official Myspace
- Official Fan Art Hub
- Metromix USA "Bands We Like"
|NU Rock Awards
Best New Artist