"Up Where We Belong" is a song written by Jack Nitzsche, Buffy Sainte-Marie, and Will Jennings. It was recorded by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes for the 1982 film An Officer and a Gentleman.
Use in the film
Richard Gere balked at shooting the ending of the film, in which Zack arrives at Paula's factory wearing his naval dress whites and carries her off the factory floor; he thought that wouldn't work because it was too sentimental. Director Taylor Hackford agreed with Gere until, during a rehearsal, the extras playing the workers began to cheer and cry. When Gere saw the scene later, with the music added ("Up Where We Belong"), he said it gave him chills. Gere is now convinced Hackford made the right decision.
Producer Don Simpson unsuccessfully demanded "Up Where We Belong" be cut from An Officer and a Gentleman, saying, "The song is no good. It isn't a hit."
Release and awards
The single, released by Island Records in 1982, became a number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on November 6, 1982 and kept the position for three weeks, also reaching number 7 in the UK Singles Chart.
"Up Where We Belong" won the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song and the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1983. It also won the BAFTA Film Awards for Best Original Song in 1984. Cocker and Warnes also won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal in 1983 for their rendition of this song.
In popular culture
Charts and sales
- ^ a b c d Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 136. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- ^ "Gere begged director not to shoot romantic scene". PR Inside. 2007-04-29. http://www.pr-inside.com/gere-begged-director-not-to-shoot-r108124.htm.
- ^ Jennifer Warnes, official home site
- ^ Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book Ltd. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- ^ "Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes – Up Where We Belong) – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes – Up Where We Belong)" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- ^ Nyman, Jake (2005). Suomi soi 4: Suuri suomalainen listakirja (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 951-31-2503-3.
- ^ "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- ^ Search for Irish peaks
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes – Up Where We Belong)". Top 40 Singles. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Norwegiancharts.com – Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes – Up Where We Belong)". VG-lista. Hung Medien.
- ^ Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes – Up Where We Belong)". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes – Up Where We Belong) – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Hung Medien.
- "Fame" Lyrics by Dean Pitchford, Music by Michael Gore (1980)
- "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" Music & Lyrics by Peter Allen, Burt Bacharach, Christopher Cross, & Carole Bayer Sager (1981)
- "Up Where We Belong" Lyrics by Wilbur Jennings, Music by Jack Nitzsche & Buffy Sainte-Marie (1982)
- "Flashdance... What a Feeling" Lyrics by Irene Cara, Keith Forsey, Music by Giorgio Moroder (1983)
- "I Just Called to Say I Love You" Music & Lyrics by Stevie Wonder (1984)
- "Say You, Say Me" Music & Lyrics by Lionel Richie (1985)
- "Take My Breath Away" Lyrics by Tom Whitlock, Music by Giorgio Moroder (1986)
- "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" Lyrics by Franke Previte, Music by John DeNicola & Donald Markowitz (1987)
- "Let the River Run" Music & Lyrics by Carly Simon/"Two Hearts" Lyrics by Phil Collins, Music by Lamont Dozier (1988)
- "Under the Sea" Lyrics by Howard Ashman, Music by Alan Menken (1989)