|Produced by||Ambika Krishna|
|Cinematography||A.V. Krishna Kumar|
|Edited by||T. Shashi kumar|
|Running time||138 minutes|
Upendra is a 1999 psychological thriller Kannada film written and directed by Upendra. It starred Upendra, Raveena Tandon, Prema and Damini in the lead roles. The film explores three human emotions through the relationship between the main character and the three heroines. The songs of the film were written by Upendra and music was composed by Gurukiran.
The film won Filmfare Award for Best Film (Kannada) and Filmfare Award for Best Director (Kannada). A Japanese who saw the film in Bangalore was impressed by it as he found it similar to the story of Buddha and got it released in Japan. It was screened at the Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival in Japan in 2001.
The film was heavily panned by the critics at the time of its release. Upendra said in an interview, "the theme is philosophical, but when I said it in a different way, some people were unable to digest it."
Upendra was a commercial success and was well received by the audience in Karnataka as well as in Andhra Pradesh. The film had a 200 days run in Karnataka and its Telugu version had a 100 days run in Andhra Pradesh.
- Filmfare Award for Best Director (Kannada) (1999)
- Filmfare Award for Best Film (Kannada) (1999)
|"Uppigintha Ruchi Bere Illa"||Upendra||3:53|
|"MTV Subbalakshmige"||Udit Narayan||4:30|
|"2000 AD Lady"||Gurukiran||5:36|
|"Enilla Enilla"||Pratima Rao||4:32|
|"Mastu Mastu Hudugi"||Mano||4:19|
In January 2012, Upendra announced that he is working on the script for a sequel to the film, titled Upendra 2 (stylized as Uppi2). The film will be directed and produced by Upendra under his home banner, Upendra Productions. The first posters of Upendra 2 were released on the internet on 16 September 2012. The posters featured a huge rectangle, with no clear name inside it, but with a heap of mathematical formulae – be it arithmetic, algebra, geometry, analytical geometry, calculus and so on – and had a byline – "directed by Upendra".
Uppi 2 was launched by Upendra on 18 September 2013 at Kanteerava Studios in Bangalore, amongst thousands of fans gathered to witness the launch. Lathi Charge from the police to control the crowd of fans gathered at the venue was reported. The Songs Recording for Uppi2 started on 30 March 2014 at Gurukiran Studio in Bangalore. US rap artist Arod (also known as ARodomus) will render a rap song for the film. The song, sung in a mix of Spanish, English, and a line of Kannada, was recorded in [Brooklyn], New York. Upendra is yet to officially announce the star cast of the film and will start shooting by June 2014.
- Kannada Movie Star Upendra: Ups and Dowwwwwwns
- "Filmfare Awards 2000 Winners".
- Upendra Profile, Pictures, Movies, Events – Indian Celebrity Upendra Page
- Stars : Star Interviews : Upendra – Interview
- "100 days shield or poster of Upendra".
- Kumar, S. R. Ashok (15 April 2000). "Star-spangled show on cards". The Hindu. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Social Post (2012-09-17). "Upendra 2 poster hits internet". Oneindia Entertainment. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Upendra 2 Poster hits internet".
- "Commotion at the launch of Uppi2".
- "Uppi2 Songs Recording".
- "Gurukiran ropes in US rap artiste for Uppi's next directorial".