Upland Brewing Company
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Barrels per year||35,000 barrels per year|
Upland Brewing Company, founded in 1997, is a brewery in Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana. It is currently the second largest brewery in Indiana and as of 2011 has over 10,000 barrels of production.
Upland Brewing Company was founded in 1997 by Marc Sattinger, Russ Levitt and Dean LaPlante. The brewery takes its name from the rolling hills of southern Indiana, with Bloomington being near their northern terminus. In 1998, distribution of bottles and kegs began and the brewpub opened its doors. By 2004 its distribution had reached all 92 counties of Indiana. The microbrewery has a popular onsite brewpub featuring live music and an art gallery. In 2006, ownership changed hands to a group of local investors. By 2010, distribution had expanded to southern Wisconsin, namely the Milwaukee and Madison areas, and to northern Kentucky, primarily the Louisville region. In 2009 a separate tasting room opened in Indianapolis in the Meridian-Kessler/south Broad Ripple neighborhood.
In 2011 they announced plans to open a new brewing facility in Bloomington. This facility is to be completed in the Spring 2012, located on the west side of Bloomington at Profile Parkway and Curry Pike. This 37,000 square foot facility will be the primary brewing facility for Upland, encompassing their everyday and seasonal lineup. The 11th Street brewery will be scaled down to become a research and development facility and primarily be the site of Upland's growing Belgian-style wild ales. Future plans include expansion of the brewpub as well.
Upland Brewing Company has a regular lineup of seven diverse beers as well as multiple seasonal brews. Everyday Brews include:
- Wheat Ale (their "signature beer")
- Dragonfly India Pale Ale
- Rad Red Amber Ale
- Helios Pale Ale - Won Bronze at the World Beer Cup, 2010, in the English Summer Ale Category
- Bad Elmer's Porter
- Preservation Pilsner (draft only)
- Double Dragonfly Imperial IPA (regular distribution began in June 2010)
Seasonal brews include:
- Komodo Dragonfly Black India Pale Ale
- Ard Ri Imperial Red Ale
- Nut Hugger Brown Ale
- Oktoberfest - Won Silver at the World Beer Cup, 2010, in the American-Style Amber/Marzen Lager Category
- Schwarz Black Lager
- Winter Warmer Barleywine-Style Ale - Won Silver at the World Beer Cup, 2008, in the Old Ale Category 
- Official Site - website of Upland Brewing Company
- Entry for Upland Brewing Company on The Brewers of Indiana Guild website