Upper Arlington High School
|Upper Arlington High School|
|1650 Ridgeview Road
Upper Arlington, Ohio, (Franklin County), 43221
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|Asst. Principal||Thomas Cochran; Jaclyn Angle; Lou Vasquez|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold |
|Fight song||Stand Up And Cheer|
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
|Team name||Golden Bears|
|Athletic Director||Michael Schaefer & Jodi Palmer |
Upper Arlington High School is the sole high school in the Upper Arlington City School District in Upper Arlington, Ohio, a northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio. It receives students from Jones Middle School and Hastings Middle School. The current principal of the high school is Mr. Andrew Theado. The school is located at 1650 Ridgeview Road, Upper Arlington, Ohio, 43221. The mascot is a golden bear.
Upper Arlington High School offers Honors and Advanced Placement courses two to three years ahead of requirements and joined the International Baccalaureate program in 2005. As a requirement for graduation, Upper Arlington High School requires 4 credits in language arts, including a "Capstone"; 4 credits in mathematics; 3 credits in science; 3 credits in social studies; 2 credits in foreign language, cooperative, and family and consumer sciences ; 1 credit in art (either in music, visual arts, or drama); one half-credit in health and one half-credit in physical education; one half-credit in speech; and 2.5 credits in electives.
The school has received a number of accolades, including the highest number of National Merit Semi-Finalists in Ohio's public schools for three of the last four years, a nationally award-winning student newsmagazine, Arlingtonian, and the National Cup for the top orchestra in the country. It was the only school district in the nation to receive three White House honors as Service Learning Leaders.
The high school sports teams are named the Golden Bears, a nickname shared by golf pro and UA alumnus Jack Nicklaus. Golden Bear teams are consistently ranked among the top Division I schools in Ohio, particularly in the sports of football, golf, tennis, basketball, water polo, cross country, lacrosse, and swimming. The Upper Arlington football team captured the Division One state title in football in 2000, and were led by Jeff Backes, who earned the Mr. Football Award for Ohio, and Simon Fraser, who went on to play for the Ohio State Buckeyes and Cleveland Browns.
The school also has a rowing team that competes throughout the school year, rowing during Fall and Spring seasons. The Upper Arlington Crew team is the only scholastic rowing program in central Ohio, and it consistently races to top finishes at prestigious events such as the Midwest Scholastic, Midwest Junior, Scholastic National and USRowing Youth National Championship Regattas. The team also frequently sends boats to the Head of the Charles Regatta, a selective rowing event that attracts the best rowers from all over the world.
Upper Arlington is 3rd all-time in Ohio with 44 Ohio High School Athletic Association team state championships. Upper Arlington has won 114 state titles overall, including sports not sponsored by the OHSAA.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Baseball - 1987, 1990
- Boys Basketball - 1937
- Boys Football – 2000
- Boys Golf – 1941,1956,1960,1965,1968,1969,1972,1974,1977,1981,1982,1985,1986,1992,1993,1999,2006
- Boys Swimming – 1985, 1986, 1987
- Boys Track and Field – 1937, 1939
- Girls Basketball - 1988 
- Girls Cross Country – 1978, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1990
- Girls Gymnastics - 1995
- Girls Swimming – 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Girls Track and Field – 1985
Other team state championships
- Boys Tennis* - 1972, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2012, 2013 
- Girls Tennis* - 1981, 1982, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013 
- Boys Water Polo** - 1992, 1993, 1994, 2000, 2004, 2009, 2012 
- Girls Water Polo** - 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Boys Lacrosse*** - 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 
- Girls Lacrosse - 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2013
- * Sponsored by The Ohio Tennis Coaches' Association
- ** Sponsored by Ohio High School Swim Coaches Association
- *** Sponsored by Ohio High School Lacrosse Association
UAHS Golden Bear Bands
The Upper Arlington Band program began in 1929 when the 36 members of the first band played for the dedication of the new athletic field on October 19, 1929 at what is now Jones Middle School.
The band program consists of the Golden Bear Marching Band, pep band, symphonic band, concert band, percussion ensemble, jazz ensemble, and jazz lab.
The Golden Bear Marching Band is a big ten style show band that performs several different shows during the season. The band's current uniform was first used in 2001, and is a compilation of the band's previous uniforms and represents the band's military style of marching. Based on the uniforms of West Point, Notre Dame, and Ohio State, the 100% wool uniforms are dyed true black with accents of metallic gold. The plume which adorns the hat consists of the feathers of South African male turkeys. The eight gold buttons placed in the center of the waist coat are emblazoned with two golden bears supporting a crest with the words, "Salus populi suprema lex esto" which means "Let the welfare of the people be the supreme law." The motto is borrowed from the state seal of Missouri. The marching band performs at all football games and the annual Upper Arlington Independence Day Parade. Additional notable performances include:
- professional football games in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Cincinnati
- Walt Disney World's Magic Music Days Festival
- 2002 Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida
- 2004 BCS Title Game held at the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2006 Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida
- 2006 Ohio State skull session when UAHS alumnus Jack Nicklaus dotted the i in script Ohio
- 2008 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2010 Outback Bowl in Tampa, Florida
- 2011 Ohio State skull session
- 2012 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2013 Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tennessee
UAHS Band Directors
- 1929-1936 - Henrietta Davis
- 1937-1942 - Stephen Jones
- 1943-1945 - R. V Chevey
- 1945-1949 - Jess Freeman
- 1949-1951 - Gordon Harris
- 1951-1954 - Robert Hightshoe
- 1954-1980 - Bob "Ginny" Ginther
- 1980-1999 - John "JB" Blevins
- 1992-1999 - Paul Albright
- 1999–present- Mike Manser
The high school has a number of clubs and activities that are available to the students. What is unique about these clubs is that the majority of them are student created and organized, with supervision of a teacher advisor. List of Clubs
The school's student-run, nationally accredited and award-winning newsmagazine, Arlingtonian, runs 9 issues each school year and as well as a spring supplement.
The school's public access broadcast network, WARL, is operated by broadcasting students and also helps plan the community's annual film festival in the spring.
The speech and debate club regularly qualifies students for both state and national competition, as well as hosting one Ohio tournament each year.
- Abigail Johnston - Olympics diver, silver medalist
- Lois McMaster Bujold - Hugo Award winning novelist
- Cathy Busby - Geologist, University of California
- Beverly D'Angelo - Actress
- Sam Devine - Former United States Representative
- Inka Essenhigh - Painter
- Richard Foltz - Historian
- Simon Fraser - former Atlanta Falcons football player
- Rose Goettemoeller - Assistant Secretary of State for Arms Control, Verification, and Compliance and the Chief Negotiator of the New START Treaty
- Cameron Mitchell - Restaurateur
- Erin Moriarty - News Correspondent for 48 Hours on CBS
- Jack Nicklaus - Professional golfer
- Randy Skinner - Director, Choreographer, Performer
- George Smoot - Nobel Prize winning astrophysicist
- John Spiker - Plays bass with Tenacious D
- Melinda Lou Thomas - "Wendy" of Wendy's Restaurants
- Terry Waldo - Ragtime Artist
- Upper Arlington School District Official Website
- Upper Arlington High School District Website
- UAHS Bands
- UAHS Athletes in Action!
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- UAHS. "Upper Arlington High School Program of Study". Archived from the original on 2007-10-20. Retrieved 2007-12-13.
- UA Crew. "UA Crew". Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball A". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- OTCA. "Ohio Tennis Coaches' Association Web site". Retrieved 2007-03-08.
- OHSSCA. "Ohio High School Swim Coaches' Association-Boys Water Polo State Champions". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- OHSSCA. "Ohio High School Swim Coaches' Association-Girls Water Polo State Champions". Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- OHSSCA. "Ohio High School Lacrosse Association". Retrieved 2007-03-08.
- UAN. "UA News". Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- UAHS. "Program of Studies". UAHS. Retrieved 21 March 2011.