|Headquarters||Norcross, Georgia, United States|
|Number of locations||75|
|Area served||Southeastern United States|
|Owner(s)||American Retail Group|
Uptons was a department store based in Atlanta, Georgia, United States. The chain operated primarily in the Southeastern United States, with locations in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. The chain was closed in 1999.
The first Uptons opened at Roswell Mall in Roswell, Georgia in 1985. Two stores later opened in other parts of Atlanta. In 1987, Uptons acquired 14 stores from Meyers-Arnold of Greenville, North Carolina.
Thirty-seven locations of the Florida-based J. Byrons department store chain were acquired in 1996. A year later, the company moved its headquarters from Norcross (a suburb of metro Atlanta) into Atlanta proper.
In July 1999, American Retail Group decided that maintaining the Uptons chain was too costly. By 2000, the chain had closed the last of its seventy-five stores. At the time, American Retail Group also owned clothing retailer Maurices, Inc.; sporting goods chain Eastern Mountain Sports, Inc; and The Hub, Inc. (which comprised the clothing chains Millers Outpost, Levi's Outlet by M.O.S.T., Dockers Outlet by M.O.S.T., Juxtapose and Anchor Blue).
- "ARG folds 37 Byrons into Uptons.(American Retail Group)(Brief Article)". Daily News Record. 1996-01. Retrieved 2007-09-29. [dead link]
- Wilbert, Tony (1997-12-05). "Uptons moving headquarters to Technology Park". Atlanta Business Chronicle. Retrieved 2007-09-29.
- Waldrop, Libby (1999-09-17). "Uptons: Interest in its sites leads to verbal deals". Atlanta Business Chronicle. Retrieved 2007-09-29.
- "Uptons stores to be shut down". Online Athens. 1999-07-20. Retrieved 2007-09-29.
- "Uptons stores to close". Atlanta Business Chronicle. 1999-07-19. Retrieved 2007-09-29.