|Town of Urania|
|Elevation||92 ft (28 m)|
|Area||1.2 sq mi (3.1 km2)|
|- land||1.2 sq mi (3 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||563.5 / sq mi (217.6 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Urania was established in the late 1890s by lumbering magnate Henry E. Hardtner, who is considered "Louisiana's first conservationist." The name Urania is taken from the Greek muse of astronomy. Hardtner served in both houses of the Louisiana State Legislature from La Salle Parish as well as long service on the La Salle Parish Police Jury.
Urania is located at (31.862835, -92.291261).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2), of which 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2) is land and 0.80% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 700 people, 274 households, and 201 families residing in the town. The population density was 563.5 people per square mile (218.0/km²). There were 311 housing units at an average density of 250.4 per square mile (96.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.00% White, 0.71% African American, 0.43% Native American, 0.57% from other races, and 2.29% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.14% of the population.
There were 274 households out of which 33.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.9% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.3% were non-families. 23.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.4% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 21.6% from 45 to 64, and 14.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 91.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $25,625, and the median income for a family was $29,167. Males had a median income of $22,404 versus $18,125 for females. The per capita income for the town was $10,517. About 18.7% of families and 24.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 32.6% of those under age 18 and 23.7% of those age 65 or over.
The following schools operated by the La Salle Parish School Board serve the city:
- Olla-Standard Elementary School (Olla)
- La Salle Junior High School (Urania)
- La Salle High School (Olla)
- Anna C. Burns, "Henry E. Hardtner: Louisiana's First Conservationist," Journal of Forest History, Vol. 22, No. 2 (April 1978), pp. 76-85
- ""Thomas 'Bud' Brady dead at 72," April 3, 2011". Monroe News-Star. Retrieved July 4, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- U.S. Decennial Census; census.gov
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Urania Progress Community Progress Site for Urania, LA