|Original author(s)||Urchin Software Corporation|
|Stable release||7.000 / September 13, 2010|
Urchin was a web statistics analysis program developed by Urchin Software Corporation. It was used to analyze web server log file content and display the traffic information on that website based upon the log data.
Urchin software could be run in two different data collection modes; log file analyser or hybrid. As a log file analyser, Urchin processed web server log files in a variety of log file formats. Custom file formats could also be defined. As a hybrid, Urchin combined page tags with log file data to eradicate the limitations of each data collection method in isolation. The result was more accurate web visitor data.
Urchin became one of the more popular solutions for website traffic analysis, particularly with ISPs and web hosting providers. This was largely due to its scalability in performance and pricing model.
Urchin Software Corp. was acquired by Google in April 2005, forming Google Analytics. In April 2008, Google released Urchin 6. In February 2009, Google released Urchin 6.5, integrating AdWords. Urchin 7 was released in September 2010 and includes 64-bit support, new UI and event tracking among other features.
See also 
- Hosted v software v hybrid web analytics tools blog article
- Increasing Accuracy for Online Business Growth - a web analytics accuracy whitepaper
- Urchin 6 announcement from Google
- Urchin 6.5 announcement from Google
- Urchin 7 announcement from Google
- Urchin 7 Key features
- Muret, Paul (January 20, 2012). "The End of an Era for Urchin Software". Google Analytics. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- Muret, Paul. "The End of an Era for Urchin Software". Google Analytics. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- Official List of Urchin Software Resellers
- Official Urchin Software website
- What is Urchin? - blog article
- Back up your Google Analytics data locally - blog article
- Differences between Urchin Software and Google Analytics
|This Web software related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|