Urdu Encyclopaedia of Islam
The encyclopaedia began in the 1950s as a translation of the Leiden University Encyclopaedia of Islam into Urdu. The editor in chief was Professor Dr. Muhammad Shafi. The editorial board worked on translating the Leiden Encyclopaedia into Urdu, amending, correcting, and adding to the Leiden text themselves.
The original plan for publication, as laid out by Shafi and others, was for the Encyclopaedia (which was to be entitled Urdu Da’ira Ma’arif-i-Islamiya) to span between 20 and 22 volumes, with roughly a hundred illustrations per volume, published at a rate of four volumes per year.
Because of Shafi's death, and lack of funding, work on the Encyclopaedia stalled until 1971, when a grant from the Asia Foundation enabled it to resume. Volumes 10 and 12 were completed by 1973.
By 1985, 21 out of a planned 25 volumes had been published.
- Islamic studies 2. Central Institute of Islamic Research (Pakistan). 1963. p. 141.
- UNESCO bulletin for libraries 8. United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization. 1954. p. 62.
- Journal of the Pakistan Historical Society. 11–12. Pakistan Historical Society. 1963. p. 264.
- Islamic Culture Board (1971). "Urdu Encyclopaedia of Islam". Islamic Culture: The Hyderabad Quarterly Review 36. Deccan. p. 79.
- Year Book. Pakistan Education Division. 1973. p. 22.
- World Muslim Conference (1985). "Urdu Encyclopaedia of Islam". The Muslim World 23 (1–26). Motamar al-Alam al-Islami; World Muslim Congress. p. 32.
- Abdur Rauf (1975). "The Urdu Encyclopaedia of Islam". Islamic culture & civilization in Pakistan. Ferozsons. p. 139.
- Shigeo Minowa and Amadio Antonio Arboleda, ed. (1973). "Urdu Encyclopaedia of Islam". Scholarly publishing in Asia: proceedings. University of Tokyo Press. pp. 70 et seq.
- "Encyclopaedia of Islam Pakistan's Venture". Asia: Asian quarterly of culture and synthesis 4. Imprimerie d'Extrême-Orient. 1954. p. 633.
|This article about an Islamic studies book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an encyclopedia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Pakistan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|