Urmein

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Urmein
Urmein -
Country Switzerland Coat of Arms of Urmein
Canton Graubünden
District Hinterrhein
46°41′N 9°26′E / 46.683°N 9.433°E / 46.683; 9.433Coordinates: 46°41′N 9°26′E / 46.683°N 9.433°E / 46.683; 9.433
Population 116 (Dec 2012)[1]
- Density 27 /km2 (69 /sq mi)
Area 4.33 km2 (1.67 sq mi)[2]
Elevation 1,264 m (4,147 ft)
Postal code 7427
SFOS number 3670
Surrounded by Flerden, Lohn, Masein, Thusis, Tschappina
Website website missing
SFSO statistics
Urmein is located in Switzerland
Urmein
Urmein

Urmein (Romansh: Urmagn) is a municipality in the district of Hinterrhein in the Swiss canton of Graubünden.

History[edit]

Urmein is first mentioned in 1156 as Hof de Ormen.[3]

Geography[edit]

Urmein has an area, as of 2006, of 4.4 km2 (1.7 sq mi). Of this area, 46.9% is used for agricultural purposes, while 39.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 5.7% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (7.8%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).[4]

The municipality is located in the Thusis sub-district, of the Hinterrhein district. It consists of the haufendorf (an irregular, unplanned and quite closely packed village, built around a central square) village of Urmein in the inner Heinzenberg mountains at an elevation of 1,264 m (4,147 ft).

Demographics[edit]

Urmein has a population (as of 31 December 2012) of 116.[1] As of 2008, 3.7% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 19.8%.[4]

As of 2000, the gender distribution of the population was 45.9% male and 54.1% female.[5] The age distribution, as of 2000, in Urmein is; 1 child or 1.2% of the population is between 0 to 9 years old. 2 children or 2.5% are 10 to 14, and 3 children or 3.7% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, 14 people or 17.3% of the population are between 20 to 29 years old. 6 people or 7.4% are 30 to 39, 9 people or 11.1% are 40 to 49, and 18 people or 22.2% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 14 people or 17.3% of the population are between 60 to 69 years old, 10 people or 12.3% are 70 to 79, there are 4 people or 4.9% who are 80 to 89.[6]

In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the SVP which received 66.9% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the FDP (13.2%), the SPS (12.9%) and the local, small right-wing parties (4.2%).[4]

In Urmein about 72.9% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).[4]

Urmein has an unemployment rate of 0%. As of 2005, there were 28 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 11 businesses involved in this sector. No one is employed in the secondary sector. 7 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 4 businesses in this sector.[4]

The historical population is given in the following table:[3]

year population
1803 158
1850 133
1900 89
1950 90
2000 81

Languages[edit]

Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks German (98.8%), with the rest speaking Polish ( 1.2%).[4]

Languages in Urmein
Languages Census 1980 Census 1990 Census 2000
Number Percent Number Percent Number Percent
German 73 96.05% 79 97.53% 80 98.77%
Romanish 2 2.63% 2 2.47% 0 0.00%
Population 76 100% 81 100% 81 100%

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b Swiss Federal Statistics Office – STAT-TAB Ständige und Nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Region, Geschlecht, Nationalität und Alter (German) accessed 16 September 2013
  2. ^ Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
  3. ^ a b Urmein in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
  4. ^ a b c d e f Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 08-Oct-2009
  5. ^ Graubunden in Numbers (German) accessed 21 September 2009
  6. ^ Graubunden Population Statistics (German) accessed 21 September 2009
This article incorporates information from the equivalent article on the German Wikipedia.