Singer of a heavy metal band
His musical training started at the age of five, when Bühler began singing in a choir and also learned to play violin, clarinet, piano, guitar, and drums. His musical career, though, started when he was fifteen in an entirely different genre from lyrical song, being a member of a cover band and later the lead singer of a heavy metal band called "Conspiracy" when he was seventeen years old in Luzern.
At the same time, he was already receiving music lessons at the Academy for School and Church Music. His progress in the field led him to move to Amsterdam in the Netherlands, where he studied voice at Sweelinck Conservatorium with Udo Reinemann, a well known German baritone. Under the private tutoring of Swedish tenor Gösta Winbergh of the Royal Swedish Opera and French tenor Christian Papis, Urs enriched his classical repertoire. He sang in the choir of the Dutch opera and even performed in the Salzburg Festival under the direction of Claudio Abbado. Prior to joining Il Divo, he was mainly based in the Netherlands, singing oratorios and performing with the Netherlands Opera Gezelschap (NOG). Despite many performances there are only a handful of recordings available of him before Il Divo.
In December 2003, he became a member of the international musical quartet Il Divo along with Carlos Marín (Spain), Sébastien Izambard (France), and David Miller (United States). Their first album, called Il Divo became a worldwide multiplatinum selling record when released in November 2004, entering Billboard at number four and selling five million copies worldwide in less than a year and knocking Robbie Williams from the number one spot in the charts. Their second album, Ancora, was released on November 7, 2005 in the United Kingdom. Il Divo's third album Siempre was released on November 21, 2006 in the United States and on November 27, 2006 internationally. Their latest album, The Promise, was released on November 10, 2008 (world) & November 18, 2008 (US), and shot straight to number 1 in the UK.
In 2001, Urs had a relationship with violinist Valerie Brusselle. On 23rd of December 2008. he became father of a girl named Wilhelmina Bühler-Rodney whom he affectionately called Billie; from his relationship with Tanya Rodney, the makeup of the group itself Il Divo.
As member of Il Divo
|2005||The Christmas Collection|
|2013||A Musical Affair|
|2005||Il Divo Gift Pack|
|2006||Il Divo Collezione |
|2012||Greatest Hits |
Collaborations other album
- 2005: On ne change pas de Celine Dion (Il Divo)
- 2006: Voices from the FIFA World Cup (Il Divo)
- 2006: Libra de Toni Braxton (Il Divo)
- 2005: Encore. Il Divo Greek Theater Mérida
- 2006: Christmas Collection. The Yule Log
- 2007: Il Divo. Live at the Greek Theater
- 2008: Il Divo At The Coliseum
- 2009: An Evening With Il Divo Live In Barcelona
- 2011: Live At The London Coliseum
- 2013: Il Divo: A Musical Affair - Live in Japan
- Ba-ta-clan. Opera Minora. Festival Aan Zee in Noordwijk. May 23, 2001.
- Der Vogelhändler (plays leading role, Adam). Nieuwstad Operette in Nieuwegein. November, 2002.
- Eine Nacht in Venedig (plays leading role, Caramello). Nieuwstad Operette in Nieuwegein. November 7, 2003.
- Johannes Passion. Oude Kerk, Delft. With Philharmonisch Koor Toonkunst Rotterdam. April 17, 2003.
- Fame & Fortune: UK taxes drive Swiss opera star cuckoo
- "Urs Divo Buhler".
- "=IL DIVO GIFT PACK". http://www.ildivo.com/. 2005.
- "IL DIVO COLLEZIONE. Incluirá los CDs: Il divo, Ancora y The Christmas Collection, y el DVD Encore". lahiguera.net. 2006-10-23.
- "The Greatest Hits - Deluxe Limited Edition | The Official Il Divo Site". Ildivo.com. Retrieved 2013-05-19.