|Birth name||Urs Toni Bühler|
19 July 1971 |
Willisau, Lucerne, Switzerland
|Instruments||Singing, electric guitar, piano, violin, drums, clarinet|
|Associated acts||Il Divo|
His musical training started at the age of five, when Bühler began singing in a choir and also learned to play violin, clarinet, piano, guitar, and drums. His musical career, though, started when he was fifteen in an entirely different genre from lyrical song, being a member of a cover band and later the lead singer of a heavy metal band called "Conspiracy" when he was seventeen years old in Luzern. At the same time, he was already receiving music lessons at the Academy for School and Church Music. His progress in the field led him to move to Amsterdam in the Netherlands, where he studied voice at Sweelinck Conservatorium with Udo Reinemann, a well known German baritone. Under the private tutoring of Swedish tenor Gösta Winbergh of the Royal Swedish Opera and French tenor Christian Papis, Urs enriched his classical repertoire. He sang in the choir of the Dutch opera and even performed in the Salzburg Festival under the direction of Claudio Abbado. Prior to joining Il Divo, he was mainly based in the Netherlands, singing oratorios and performing with the Netherlands Opera Gezelschap (NOG). Despite many performances there are only a handful of recordings available of him before Il Divo.
In December 2003, he became a member of the international musical quartet Il Divo along with Carlos Marín (Spain), Sébastien Izambard (France), and David Miller (United States). Their first album, called Il Divo became a worldwide multiplatinum selling record when released in November 2004, entering Billboard at number four and selling five million copies worldwide in less than a year and knocking Robbie Williams from the number one spot in the charts. Their second album, Ancora, was released on November 7, 2005 in the United Kingdom. Il Divo's third album Siempre was released on November 21, 2006 in the United States and on November 27, 2006 internationally. Their latest album, The Promise, was released on November 10, 2008 (world) & November 18, 2008 (US), and shot straight to number 1 in the UK.
- Il Divo (as member of Il Divo, 2004)
- Ancora (as member of Il Divo, 2005)
- The Christmas Collection (as member of Il Divo, 2005)
- Voices from the FIFA World Cup (as member of Il Divo, 2006)
- Siempre (as member of Il Divo, 2006)
- The Promise (as member of Il Divo, 2008)
- An Evening with Il Divo: Live in Barcelona (as member of Il Divo, 2009)
- Wicked Game (as member of Il Divo, 2011)
- A Musical Affair (as member of Il Divo, 2014)
- Ba-ta-clan. Opera Minora. Festival Aan Zee in Noordwijk. May 23, 2001.
- Der Vogelhändler (plays leading role, Adam). Nieuwstad Operette in Nieuwegein. November, 2002.
- Eine Nacht in Venedig (plays leading role, Caramello). Nieuwstad Operette in Nieuwegein. November 7, 2003.
- Johannes Passion. Oude Kerk, Delft. With Philharmonisch Koor Toonkunst Rotterdam. April 17, 2003.
- Il Divo Live Concert. Recorded at the Teatro Clásico in Mérida, Spain. For the "Encore" DVD, 2005.
- Il Divo World Tour Concert 2006
- Il Divo World Tour Concert 2007
- Il Divo World Tour Concert 2009: "An Evening With Il Divo"
- Christmas Concert 2009
- Wicked Game Tour 2012
- A Musical Affair Tour 2014