||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Actress, Script Writer;Producer;TV Anchor|
|Years active||1983 – present|
|Spouse(s)||Manoj K. Jayan(2000-2008)
|Children||Tejalakshmi (Kunjatta),Baby Boy (August,2014)|
|Parents||Chavara V.P.Nair , Vijayalakshmi|
|Relatives||Kalaranjini, Kalpana,Kamal Roy, Prince|
Kavitha Ranjini, better known by her stage name Urvashi, is an Indian film actress and producer. She was a prominent lead actress during the 1980s and 1990s in Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada, and Telugu films. She has dubbed in her own voice in all these languages. And she produced the film Pidakkozhi Koovunna Noottandu (1994).She also Penned for movies "Ulsavamelam " and Pidakkozhi Koovunna Noottandu She won the National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Achuvinte Amma (2005). She is the maximum recipient of Kerala State Film Award for Best Actress.
- 1 Personal life
- 2 Acting career
- 3 Miniscreen career
- 4 As a Writer
- 5 Awards
- 6 Upcoming Projects
- 7 Filmography
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Urvashi was born in Trivandrum, Kerala to actor Chavara V. P. Nair and Vijayalakshmi. Her sisters, Kalaranjini and Kalpana, are also acclaimed actresses. Her two brothers, Kamal Roy and Late Prince had also acted in few Malayalam movies.
She got married twice. Her first marriage was with Malayalam film actor Manoj K. Jayan on 11 October 2000. But, it was reported that Urvashi had obtained mutual separation from her husband in late 2008. The couple developed difference of opinion and filed for divorce at a court in Chennai. Later, they were separated by a court order. Their only daughter Tejalakshmi aka Kunjatta is now living with Manoj K. Jayan. In November 2013 Urvashi got married to a civil construction engineer, Shivaprasad in a private ceremony held in Chennai. Urvashi herself stated in an interview that she is 4months pregnant i.e. conceiving her second child as on 29 April 2014. She has given birth to a male baby on 8th Aug 2014.
She acted in around 300 films in Malayalam,Tamil,Telugu,Kannada and Hindi. She started her acting career as a child artist in Ninaivukal Maraivathillai in 1983 but it got never released. Then she acted as a heroine, at the age of 12, to Karthik in the movie Thodarum Uravu which completed shooting in 1983 but released in 1986. Her first film released was Munthanai Mudichchu (Tamil, directed by K. Bhagyaraj) in 1983 making her debut movie. The movie was a big hit and made Urvashi a sought-after actress in all the South Indian languages.She is considered as the Lady Super Star of Malayalam film after her huge success of movies like "Achuvinte Amma"; "Mummy and Me' and "Sakudumbam Shyamala" etc. which are released after her second innings in Malayalam film started in 2005.Her style,excellence,flexibility and wellness in acting highly acclaimed by Ulakanayakan Kamal Haasan,Jagathy Sreekumar,Balachandra Menon,Sathyan Anthikad,Sukumari,Jayaram etc.She is nicknamed as "NADIP ARASI" (നടിപ്പരശി) because of her wellness and charming in performance.she is acclaimed as the most flexible actress in South Indian Film Industry.
Ethirppukal (Malayalam, 1984) was one of her earlier films in Malayalam.During the peak of her career, she starred in M. P. Sukumaran Nair's award-winning film Kazhakam in 1995, without taking a single penny as remuneration. She was awarded Best Actress for this role. She was a leading Malayalam actress in the late 1980s, giving performances in Thalayanamanthram and Mazhavilkavadi among others. Urvashi has also acted in many Kannada movies with top stars like Dr.Rajkumar,Dr.Vishnuvardhan, Dr.Ambarish, Ravichandran and Ramesh Aravind. Her latest Kannada movie, Rama Shama Bhama (2005) with Ramesh Aravind and Kamal Haasan, was a box-office looter. It was a crowd-puller and her performance was well appreciated by critics and audience.
Urvashi was also seen as the host of the game show Thanga Vettai, aired on Sun TV. She served as the host for the show for a very short time, preceded by Ramya Krishnan and succeeded by Kanika Subramaniam.Urvashi hosted a successful "Ladies Show" on Surya TV Channel known as Rani Maharani.She has presented a game show named SwarnaMazha on Surya TV Channel,which was highly rated game show.She has judged reality shows named Vodafone Comedy Stars and Comdey Festival on Asianet and Mazhavil Manorama respectively.She has acted in some television serials and advertisements.She was a celebrity judge in a reality shows named Champions on Surya TV.She was also a celebrity judge in Munch Star Singer junior season 2 along with G.Venugopal and sujatha. She also anchored a Game show titled Bhagyalakshmi in Kairali TV. She produced, acted and wrote many serials for sun TV.Her talk shows ''Take It Easy Urvashi''(Raj TV), Thiru Thirumathi (Jaya TV), Serials in Vijay TV etc. were a huge commercial success.Now she is hosting for a reality game show Krazy Couple for couples in Zee Kannada Channel. She also performed as a dubbing artist.In the movie "Nandanam" she dubbed for Kala Renjini.She also dubbed for many actors in Tamil and Kannada films In Malayalm film Urvashi is the one and only artist who acted with more number of Heroes.She is presently judging Minto Goal Comedy Stars on ASIANET.
As a Writer
She penned for a movie Pidakkozhi Koovunna Noottandu (1994) produced by herself under her own production company "Urvara Arts',and for the movie Ulsavamelam.She frequently wrote her experiences in film industry in various film magazines like Nana film weekly, Chithrabhoomi weekly, Vellinakshthram etc.Her memoirs titled Hrudayakannadi (ഹൃദയക്കണ്ണാടി),published in Vanitha magazine, compiled as a book by D.C.Book Cinemayalla Jeevitham.Her story is also adopted for the making of telugu movie Paattabhasthi.
The only one Actress secured maximum awards in Best Actress Category and won Hatrik in Best actress award
- 1989: Kerala State Film Award for Best Actress - Mazhavil Kavadi, Varthamanakalam
- 1990: Kerala State Film Award for Best Actress - Thalayanamanthram
- 1991: Kerala State Film Award for Best Actress - Bharatham, Mukhachithram, Kakkathollayiram,Kadinjool Kalyanam
- 1995: Kerala State Film Award for Best Actress - Kazhakam
- 2006: Kerala State Film Award for Best Actress - Madhuchandralekha
- 1987: Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Malayalam - Ponmuttayidunna Tharavau
- 2010: Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress - Malayalam - Mummy & Me
- Tamil Nadu State Film Awards
- 1984 : Savithry Award for Best actress - Munthanai Mudichchu..she is the last recipient of this award
- 1983: Best New face Madras Telugu Film Academy Award - Munthanai Mudichchu
- 1994: Special Jury Award for best actress - Magalir Mattum
- 1995 : Kalai Vaanar Award for best actress by Tamil Nadu Government
- Amritha Film awards
- 2005 : Best supporting actress- Achuvinte Amma
- Nana Film weekly Awards
- 1990: Best Actress - Thalayanamanthram
- 1991: Best Actress - Bharatham
- 1992: Best Actress - Venkalam
- 2005: Best Actress - "Achuvinte Amma"
- 2009: Best Supporting Actress - "Bharya Swantham Suhruthu"
- Other Film AwardsMalayalam
- 1992 :Ujala Award for Best actress -Kizhakkan Pathrose"&Venkalam
- 1993 :Ujala Award for Best actress -Kalippattam Sthreedhanam'
- 1993 : Woman of the Year Award By Film fans association for various films
- 1999 : Film Council Audience Award for Best Actress -garshom ;Kottappurathe Koottukudumbam
- 2005 : Best Actress Award by Film Fans Association -Achuvinte Amma
- 2010: Jaihind TV Special Award for Best Actress - "Mummy & Me
- 2010 : Jayan Smaraka Award for best actress -"Mummy & Me & Sakudumbam Shyamala
- Other Film AwardsTamil,Telugu, Kannada
- 2009 : Edison Award for best actress in character role -Siva Manasulla Sakthi
- 2005 : Suvarna TV Special Award for Best Actress Kannada - Rama Bama Shama
- 1996 : Screen Videocon Award for Best Actress Tamil - Irattai Roja
- 1994 : Chennai Film City Academi Award for Best Actress Tamil - Naan Petha Magane'Vanaja Girija
- Television Awards
- 2008 : Best Anchor award for game show "Swarnamazha"
- 2010 : Popular Game Show for "Rani Maharani"
- 2002 : Best Anchor Award (Raj TV Award)for "Take It Easy Urvashi"
- Don't worry Be happy
- Kunjiyammakku Anchu Makkal
- Tamil remake of "Sakudumbam Shyamamla"
- Ullavecha Biriyani(remake of salt & pepper)
- Kannada remake of Salt & Pepper
- Mummy & Me( Remake of Mummy & me)
|2014||Ulavucharu Biriyani||Prakash Raj||Prakash Raj|
|2010||Maro Charitra||Ravi Yadav||Varun Sandesh, Shraddha Das|
|2005||Chakram||Lakshmi||Krishna Vamsi||Prabhas, Prakash Raj,|
|2004||Swarabhishekam||K.Viswanath||Srikanth, K.Viswanath, Laya|
|2004||Intlo Sreemathi Veedhilo Kumari||Anjali Murthy||K. Vasu||Srikanth, Prabhu Deva, Prakash Raj, Aarti Chhabria|
|2002||Sandade Sandadi||Lakshmi||Muppalaneni Siva||Jagapati Babu, Rajendraprasad, Raasi|
|1989||Chettu Kinda Pleader||Sujatha||Vamsi||Rajendraprasad, Kinnera|
|1986||Jeevanaporatam||Rajachandra||Shoban Babu, Rajanikanth|
|1984||Rustum||A. Kodandarami Reddy||Chiranjeevi, Rao Gopal Rao|
- Pidakkozhi Koovunna Noottandu (1994)
- Utsava Melam (1992)
- April 1, 2014 10:46 IST (2014-04-01). "Popular Actress Urvashi Enters into Wedlock Again". Ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- "നായികമാര് എന്തിന് ഭയക്കണം? , Interview - Mathrubhumi Movies". Mathrubhumi.com. 2010-07-21. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- "ഏകാന്തതയുടെ കടല് ഞാന് നീന്തിക്കടക്കും - articles,infocus_interview - Mathrubhumi Eves". Mathrubhumi.com. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- "Friday Review Thiruvananthapuram : The Urvashi formula". The Hindu. 2009-03-20. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- "Urvasi Second Marriage news". Marunadan Malayali. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- "പാപ്പരാസികള് പിറകില് ഓടേണ്ട; താന് മൂന്നുമാസം ഗര്ഭിണിയാണെന്ന് ഉര്വശി". Boolokam.com. 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2014-08-13.
- "Actress Urvasi reveal she is pregnant". Marunadan Malayali. Retrieved 2014-08-13.