SpellChecker.net is a highly reliable service providing multilanguage web-based checking for spelling, grammar and thesaurus.
Designed to be easily integrated into a wide array of web applications, it exists in two versions to suit businesses of various sizes. The hosted version is sufficient for the needs of small- and medium-sized businesses, and the licensed version meets the requirements of large businesses and enterprises.
The hosted version is designed to serve spell-checking needs for web applications published in the Internet such as forums, web mails, weblogs and others. The licensed version is designed to be run in an isolated company network. Companies with their own corporate style can seamlessly integrate the SpellChecker.net service using the custom look-and-feel feature. Companies that widely use business-specific terms in their everyday collaboration, can easily create custom dictionaries and extend common vocabulary.
The list of supported platforms includes the most popular operating systems, such as Linux, Windows, Solaris, AIX and FreeBSD. Like many other web applications, it is available to clients running most of modern browsers on any platform.
The WebSpellChecker application support SpellChecking/Grammar/Thesaurus in a separate browser window (suitable for form controls: <input type=”text”> and <textarea>) and SpellChecking As-You-Type for WYSIWYG editors.
WebSpellChecker allows the end-user to re-view the text. Misspellings are marked, so the end-user is able to navigate across them and choose what to do with the current misspelling: change one misspelling or all occurrences to a suitable suggestion, ignore the misspelling or all occurrences, or add the misspelled word to the user dictionary.
SpellCheckAsYouType (SCAYT) is a solution that allows the end user to see the misspelling in WYSIWYG editor right while editing the document. No need to open a new window and review the text. SCAYT is currently available in the licensed version only.
SCAYT can be embedded into any iframe–based WYSIWYG editor. For several popular WYSIWYG editors, SCAYT is implemented as an editor plug-in. Additionally, SCAYT is implemented as an ASP.net web control. The SCAYTTextBox web control extends the ASP.net TextBox web control. There are implementations for ASP.net 1.1 and ASP.net 2.0.
The WebSpellChecker application contains three parts:
- Application Server – a standalone daemon application. It listens for connections on the TCP socket and processes incoming requests from the client applications. Application Server serves all spellchecking/grammar/thesaurus requests.
- Web Interface – a CGI application. It generates the HTML code for the WebSpellChecker window that the end-user interacts with. It serves all SpellCheckAsYouType requests. This part is a client of Application Server. It is binary executable and available for various platforms: Linux, Windows, Solaris, Mac OS X, AIX, FreeBSD.
- Embedding mechanism. To utilize the SpellChecker application on a web site, the sproxy script (see details in embedding instructions) should be installed on this web site. Several versions of the sproxy script are available: binary CGI for various platforms, PHP, Perl, ASP.net, Java Servlet.
Current version of SpellChecker.net application supports 16 languages
- British English
- Canadian English
- Canadian French
- Brazilian Portuguese
- Norwegian Bokmål
SpellChecker.net application supports several types of dictionaries:
- Main dictionary – the main application dictionary, which can not be updated by customers in the hosted version. However, customers may update it in the licensed version.
- Custom dictionary – a dictionary that is used in addition to the main dictionary; may be assigned to a group of end-users depending on various conditions. May be changed by customers in licensed and hosted versions.
- User dictionary – a personal end-user dictionary; words are added to the personal dictionary by clicking Add in the spellchecker window or in the SCAYT menu. The user dictionary is initially stored in cookies. As soon as the dictionary size exceeds cookie size, the user is prompted to define the dictionary name and store the dictionary on server. From this moment, only the dictionary name is stored in cookies. The content of dictionary is stored on the server. The user can not edit the dictionary content. The user is able to delete or rename the dictionary.
Hosted version of SpellChecker.net application
SpellChecker.net application is provided as a hosted service. To use this version, the customer needs to register an account with SpellChecker.net, obtain the sproxy script, install the sproxy script on the customer’s own web site. In the hosted version, Application Server and Web Interface are running on SpellChecker.net servers. The customer is able to manage custom dictionaries and assign these dictionaries to different groups of users. Currently, SCAYT is unavailable for the hosted version.
Licensed version of SpellChecker.net application
SpellChecker.net applicaiton is provided as a standalone application. The customer needs to install it on one of the customer’s own servers. Web Interface should be installed on a web site dedicated to or shared with other web applications. All other web sites can utilize this instance of Web Interface. The sproxy script should be installed on all of these web sites. The customer is able to manage the main dictionary, the custom dictionary and manage the user dictionary names and storage files location. SCAYT is available for the licensed version.
Embedding SpellChecker.net into 3rd Party Applications
SpellChecker.net support may be embedded into other web-based applications like Bulletin Boards, WebMail clients, CMS, CMR, etc. using installation instructions at the following location: http://www.spellchecker.net/v2/support/sp_hosted/wsc_install.html.
There are several WYSIWYG editors which can utilize WebSpellChecker and SpellCheckAsYouType. SpellChecker.net solutions are implemented as plug-ins for these editors.
- FCKeditor is a popular open source WYSIWYG text editor. SpellChecker support for FCKeditor is implemented as an FCKeditor plug-in. Plug-in functionality was used to reduce embedding efforts for developers familiar with FCKeditor architecture and plug-ins functionality. There are two different plug-ins: WebSpelChecker and SCAYT. The WebSpellChecker plug-in for FCKeditor allows invoking the WebSpellChecker window and transferring the original text from the editor and the corrected/reviewed text back. The WebSpellChecker plug-in appears as a SpellCheck button in a separate toolbar. The SCAYT plug-in for FCKeditor allows using the SCAYT functionality right while typing the text in the editor. The SCAYT plug-in appears as a SpellCheckAsYouType button in a separate tool-bar. Clicking this button enables/disables SCAYT functionality.
- HTMLArea is a free, customizable online editor. It is no longer maintained. Embedding of SpellChecker.net solutions into this editor was performed to demonstrate the way SpellChecker.net solutions could be embedded into third-party applications.