This poster was designed by the Czech Art Nouveau painter Alphonse Mucha. Mucha had signed a six-year contract with Bernhardt in 1895, following the success of his poster for Victorien Sardou's Gismonda, in which Bernhardt starred. Mucha used pale pastel colors and frequently featured beautiful young women in flowing, vaguely Neoclassical robes in his posters; these women were often surrounded by lush flowers which sometimes formed halos behind their heads.
• Cometstyles is a bureaucrat on MediaWiki.
• Cometstyles is a bureaucrat on Meta Wikimedia.
• Cometstyles is a sysop on Simple Wikipedia.
• Cometstyles is a member of the Wikimedia OTRS team.
In a related story Cometstyles is a laze 99% of the time. The other 1%, he's in your wiki watching you O_O.
William Calcraft (1800–1879) was the most famous English hangman of the 19th century. One of the most prolific British executioners of all time, it is estimated that he carried out 450 executions during his 45-year career. A cobbler by trade, Calcraft was initially recruited to flog juvenile offenders after meeting the City of London's hangman, John Foxton, while selling meat pies near Newgate Prison. He succeeded Foxton, but his controversial use of the short-drop method of hanging, in which the victims were strangled rather than had their vertebrae broken by the fall when the trapdoor on the gallows was released, caused some to consider him incompetent. Many took several minutes to die, and to hasten their deaths Calcraft sometimes pulled on their legs, or even climbed on their shoulders in an attempt to break their necks. Calcraft's antics may have been intended to entertain the crowds of more than 30,000 that sometimes attended his executions before a change in the law in 1868 meant that executions could only take place in prisons. Among his victims were Marie and Frederick Manning, the first husband and wife to be hanged together since 1700. (Full article...)
Hi I am Cometstyles (WaRpAtH on IRC). I joined this site on November 19, 2006. I'm a recent change patroller, personal attack remover, copyright checker and I assume good faith. I'm a big rugby fan and enjoy creating and editing player and club profiles. I'm an Atheist ;-). I have a really good sense of humour and editing style.
• Hi-4: यह सदस्य हिन्दी का मातृभाषा जैसा ज्ञान रखते है।
This spoof of a well known search engine was created by Persian Poet Gal who was inspired by Swatjester's (originally Gurch's) spoof of a well known social networking site. It is important to remember however that Wikipedia is neither :P.