Hi there! I'm Dainomite, welcome to my userpage.
You can find me poking around articles that interest me or that I'm knowledgeable in. Most of the aforementioned articles relate in someway to College Football, the Wisconsin Badgers football team, Paradox Interactive video games, Medieval warfare & nobility, the Norman conquest of southern Italy or modern U.S. military history. Most of my edits in the "modern U.S. military history" arena usually pertain in some way to the USAF, AFSOC, SOCOM, Iraq War or War in Afghanistan. I'm not the greatest content writer, but I'm working on it. I'm not too shabby with making basic templates, userboxes or other random things. I often help other people by fixing/optimizing their userpages or signatures.
If you have a question, comment or complaint about my edits feel free to leave me a message on my talk page. If you use IRC and want to reach me there my nick is Dainomite, you might find me idling in #wikipedia-en connect or #wikipedia-en-help connect from time to time.
My username, Dainomite, was given to me by friends from the now defunct MMORPG called Shadowbane. It is a mix of my standard online username (Dain) and the saying "DY-NO-MITE" (by J.J. Evans from Good Times) and it just stuck from then on. Feel free to call me Dainomite, Dain or Daino if you'd like.
p.s. I miss Shadowbane and the old crew. Play to Crush!
If you're wondering why my signature changes from orange to blue you've come to the right place. I do not change my signature preference all the time; I have it set so every 24 hours (at 0000 UTC) it changes automatically from Orange to Blue and vice versa.
- — dainomite
- — dainomite
My Wiki(pedia) history
For the longest time I was intimidated by the editing experience on Wikipedia because I didn't understand wiki markups so I never made an account or bothered to learn. It wasn't until September 2010 when a friend in an online game made an article about my ingame persona (Rogal Dorn) on the game's corresponding wikia that I became fascinated. Immediately afterwards I joined my alliance/guild/clan's (or whatever you want to call it) wiki editing team and made my wikia account (User:RogalDorn). It was there that I quickly learned the basics of contributing in a laid back environment. Most of my contributions to the CN Wiki were documenting history, alliances, game events, wars, treaties and people. Fast forward a year to August 2011 and that's when I made this Wikipedia account. Jump ahead another ten months and that's when I finally decided that I wanted to start contributing. Since I was familiar with the basics of wiki markups, tools like AutoWikiBrowser (which I used on the CN wiki), fighting vandals, templates and more, I looked into becoming adopted to spin myself up on Wikipedias guidelines and policies as well as how to get involved since there is so much depth to WP it was hard for me to get started on my own. While perusing around at willing adopters I came across Bmusician who ended up adopting me... aaaand then he retired a month later, before I finished my adoption lessons. After that, WormTT offered to adopt me since Bmusician's school was modeled after his but I declined, feeling disenfranchised with Wikipedia at the time and wanting to strike out on my own. I requested AWB and Rollbacker rights shortly thereafter since I had experience using them. Despite my low edit count at the time both requests were approved. After that I returned to what I was familiar with, combating vandalism and cleaning up Wikipedia with AWB. In August 2012 I created my first article, SAFE Boats International, through the Articles for Creation process. The first article I substantially contributed to that was "promoted" to B-class article was United States Air Force Combat Control Team, on January 11, 2013. After seeing the vast amount of articles relating to Special Operations in the lowly start-class range I created the WikiProject Military history incubator task force for Special Operations in May 2013. My next milestone was submitting my first Good Article Nominee in October 2013 which was Bryan D. Brown.
My favorite images on Wikipedia/Commons
Here are some quotes by some of my favorite quotes from some of my favorite tv series.
||I like Tom, he doesn't do a lot of work around here. He shows zero initiative. He's not a team player. He's never wanted to go that extra mile. Tom is exactly what I'm looking for in a government employee.
—Ron Swanson, Director of the Pawnee Parks and Recreation department, Parks and Recreation
Television and Movies
- Awesome comedy TV shows, such as Community, Parks and Recreation, Workaholics, Archer, The Office (U.S.), The Big Bang Theory.
- HBO shows: Rome, Deadwood and Game of Thrones.
- Outdoor survival TV shows by the Discovery channel, such as Survivorman, Man vs. Wild, Dual Survival, Man, Woman, Wild, Out of the Wild and Yukon Men.
- Movies, featuring actors: Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, Jim Carrey, Joaquin Phoenix, Daniel Day-Lewis, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler (older stuff), and more.
- Movies, by directors: Ridley Scott, Tony Scott, Martin Scorsese, Judd Apatow, Steven Spielberg, Darren Aronofsky and more.
- I do like military and adventure documentaries quite a bit, for instance; 180 Degrees South: Conquerors of the Useless, To the Limit, Restrepo and Running the Sahara for a few examples.
- EDM (Trance, House, Dubstep): Deadmau5, Morgan Page, Krewella, Kaskade, Tiësto, Swedish House Mafia, Benny Benassi
- Post-hardcore: Emery, Silverstein, Taking Back Sunday, Box Car Racer, Underoath, Hawthorne Heights
- Alternative rock: Sublime, The Dirty Heads, Blink 182
- Alternative hip hop: Childish Gambino, Jurassic 5
- Reggae: Bob Marley, Damian Marley, Stephen Marley, Ziggy Marley
Books & Book series
I enjoy reading about various periods, events, times in history, most of which are a part of European history; Ancient Greece, Middle Ages, Reconquista, Crusades, Sengoku period, Early modern period, Modern history
- Nations / sovereign entities: Sparta, Macedon, Roman Empire, Frankish Empire, Byzantine Empire, Khazar Khaganate, Norman Kingdom of Sicily, Norman Kingdom of England, Knights Hospitaller, Monastic state of the Teutonic Knights, Feudal Japan, Timurids, Dutch Republic, Swedish Empire, Bavaria, Prussia
- Conflicts / Wars: Trojan War, Greco-Persian Wars, Peloponnesian War, Punic Wars, Norman conquest of southern Italy, Norman conquest of England, Wars of Scottish Independence, Hundred Years' War, Ottoman Wars, Italian Wars, Eighty Years' War, Thirty Years' War, Great Northern War, Napoleonic Wars, Austro-Prussian War, Franco-Prussian War, World War I, Iraq War, War in Afghanistan (2001–present)
- Military units, types or formations: Argonauts, Myrmidons, Hoplites, Macedonian phalanx, Huscarls, Vikings, Jomsvikings, Varangian Guard, Gallóglaigh, Knights, Catalan Company, Samurai, Landsknecht, Condottieri, Combat Controllers
- Historical Figures: Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Constantine the Great, Belisarius, Justinian I, Charles Martel, Charlamagne, Ivar the Boneless, Hastein, Björn Ironside, Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye, Cnut the Great, Rainulf Drengot, William Iron Arm, Robert Guiscard, William the Conqueror, Roger I of Sicily, El Cid, Bohemond I of Antioch, Godfrey of Bouillon, Roger II of Sicily, Richard the Lionheart, Conrad of Montferrat, William Wallace, Timur, Edward, the Black Prince, Joan of Arc, Pope Julius II, William I of Orange, Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Frederick William I of Prussia, Frederick the Great, Otto von Bismarck, Ahmad Shah Massoud
||This is a Wikipedia user page.
This is not an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user to whom this page belongs may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia itself. The original page is located at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dainomite.