This is the user sandbox of EllieCee. A user sandbox is a subpage of the user's user page. It serves as a testing spot and page development space for the user and is not an encyclopedia article. For a sandbox of your own, create it here.
Writing an article and ready to request its creation?
Malik performing in 2012
|Birth name||Zain Javadd Malik|
January 12, 1993 |
Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK
|Genres||Pop, Pop rock|
|Associated acts||One Direction, Naughty Boy|
Zain Javadd Malik, or else known by his stage name Zayn Malik (born 12 January 1993) is an English pop singer and 1/5 of British-Irish boyband One Direction. The group rose to fame through the televised singing contest The X Factor (UK TV series). Despite coming in third place, the group received a recording contract with Syco Records and released their first album “Up All Night” in 2011.
Malik was born to Patricia and Yaser Malik in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England. He is of English and Irish descent from his mother’s side and Pakistani descent from his father’s. He is the second oldest, and the only boy. He has three sisters: Doniya, Waliyha, and Safaa. Malik was raised as a Muslim.
Growing up, Malik says he’d had to switch schools due to bullying and getting into fights. He also starred in some theatrical production as a kid in shows like “Bugsy Malone” and “Grease”. Malik had also performed onstage with musician Jay Sean when the rapper had visited his school. Malik worked as a waiter in his uncle’s restaurant.
Besides singing, Malik has also said that he had an interest in comic books growing up.
The X Factor
Malik auditioned as a solo singer in the 2010 season of The X Factor, but his audition was not televised. According to Malik, he auditioned because he’d just wanted someone to tell him he could sing. He was initially reluctant to audition, his mother having “drag him out of bed” to go. Malik had originally planned to audition a year earlier, but says he “chickened out”.
During boot camp, Malik met difficulty when the contestants were told they had to dance. Malik refused, as he was afraid to do it. After a talk with Simon Cowell backstage, Malik finally agreed and joined the other contestants. However, he was not able to go through as a solo singer and was eliminated at the end of boot camp. But later, he was called back along with Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson and told they would be able to continue to the competition as a group. The group was named One Direction.
Malik, along with the group was able to pass through the judge’s houses and into the live shows. The group made it all the way to the finals and finished in third place.
- Main article: One Direction
Shortly after finishing in third place, Malik, along with his bandmates was given a record contract with Syco Records. They began recording their debut album “Up All Night” in early 2011 and was released in the UK on November 2011. The album was released in March 2012 in the US and Canada. The group also appeared in an episode of the Nickelodeon show “iCarly” in 2012. Their second album “Take Me Home” was released in November 2012. This was followed by a documentary “This Is Us” which featured behind-the-scenes look at One Direction’s tour life as well as some of their personal and pre-fame lives. The movie premiered in August 2013. The band’s latest album, “Midnight Memories” was released in November 2013.
Malik currently lives in London with his fiancee Perrie Edwards from the UK girl group Little Mix. Malik met Edwards in 2011, while Edwards competed with her group on the 8th season of The X Factor. They officially announced their relationship in 2012. Malik proposed to Edwards in 2013.
Malik has expressed an interest in art - especially graffiti. He has a special room in his house, a “graffiti room”, where he spends his time painting on the walls. During the 7 hour livestream, 1DDay, by the band, Malik was shown painting a graffiti wall backstage at a concert venue. In an interview for Office Depot, Malik talks about how he believes music and art go hand in hand, and credits his interest in art to his family.
Besides art, Malik's other interest lies in English. According to the band's first autobiographical book, Dare To Dream: “I was always really good at English and reading even when I was really little. My reading age was about the same as 18-year old’s from the time I was eight..." Malik says that his grandfather constantly made him read, as he was proud of Malik's proficiency. In an interview in 2012 for the Daily Mail, Malik is able to define the term "lothario" and connects it to Don Quixote. The interviewer calls Malik's response "impressive". The interview also states that Malik "...[O]nce had ambitions to become an English teacher."
Philanthropy and Recognitions
- Dare to Dream: Life as One Direction. United Kingdom: HarperCollins UK. 2011. ISBN 9780007445394.
- Wareing, Charlotte (12 Jan 2014). "Happy birthday Zayn Malik: A look at the One Direction heartthrob's best bits as he turns 21". Mirror. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "The Making of One Direction". One Direction. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "X Factor: One Direction finish third in final". Mirror. 12 December 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "X Factor's One Direction sign £1m deal". Express & Star. 13 December 2010. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Daniels, Colin (16 October 2011). "One Direction name debut album 'Up All Night', reveal cover". Digital Spy. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "101 Zayn Malik Facts!". The Hits Radio. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Mahmood, Shabnam (18 December 2013). "Mum Direction: Zayn Malik's mother on raising a pop star". BBC News. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Jay Sean: I gave 1D star confidence". Belfast Telegraph. 28 June 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Barnett, David (17 March 2014). "One Direction's Zayn Malik set for comic stardom with Ghost Rider". Telegraph & Argus. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Robertson, James (20 August 2013). "Zayn Malik risked being kicked out of One Direction for going AWOL at rehearsals". Mirror. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Swift, Andy. "One Direction Performs ‘Midnight Memories’ On ‘ X Factor’ Finale". Hollywood Life. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Markovitz, Adam (20 March 2012). "Up All Night Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Signing the Deal with Simon Cowell". One Direction. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Bell, Crystal (21 March 2012). "One Direction 'Up All Night' Makes History: Album Tops US Album Charts". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "One Direction Will Release 'Up All Night' One Week Early". 2 February 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Vena, Jocelyn. "One Direction Already Plotting Tracks For Sophomore Album". MTV News. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Vena, Jocelyn. "One Direction Mania Takes Over ‘iCarly’". MTV News. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "One Direction Reveals 'Take Me Home' Album Cover". Billboard Magazine. Billboard. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Harp, Justin (19 November 2012). "Simon Cowell: Morgan Spurlock will make One Direction 3D film interesting". Digital Spy. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Deen, Sarah (1 December 2013). "One Direction’s Midnight Memories tops the album chart and becomes 1D’s fastest-selling album ever". Metro. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Eggenberger, Nicole. "Zayn Malik Engaged to Perrie Edwards: See Her Engagement Ring!". US Weekly. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Stewart, Allison (13 March 2014). "Little Mix, just like you didn't see them on TV". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Messer, Lesley. "One Direction’s Zayn Malik Is Engaged to Perrie Edwards". ABC News. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Zayn Malik Deletes Twitter: One Direction Member Deactivates Account Because Of 'Useless Opinions And Hate'". The Huffington Post. 21 August 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Duff, Anna (28 May 2013). "Zayn Malik's mum hits back at 'psycho' trolls who abuse One Direction singer over race and religion". Now Daily. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Zayn From One Direction Lives Unique!". Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Gordon, Jane (11 November 2012). "Exclusive interview and photo shoot: There's only One Direction - the boys go global". Daily Mail. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Kirby, Jillian. "Your Afternoon "Aww": Meet Zayn Malik's New Pet In His Smoking Hot Selfie!". Ok! Magazine. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Merriman, Rebecca. "That's Not Perrie! Zayn Malik Cuddles Up To New Pet Lizard During Break From One Direction". Entertainment Wise. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Zayn Malik named British Asian Trust ambassador". Hollywood.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "One Direction’s Zayn Malik joins the British Asian Trust as an Official Ambassador". The British Asian Trust. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "50 Best-Dressed Men in Britain 2013". British GQ. Condé Nast UK. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Stroude, Will. "Attitude’s Best Dressed Men: In Association with M&S (15-11)". Attitude Magazine. Attitude Media Ltd. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Armitage, Hugh (15 March 2014). "One Direction's Zayn Malik inspired All-New Ghost Rider design". Digital Spy. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Schedeen, Jesse. "All-New Ghost Rider #1 Review: Ghost Rider Gets Fast and Furious". IGN.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
Category:1993 births Category:21st-century English singers Category:English male singers Category:English pop singers Category:Living people Category:One Direction Category:The X Factor (UK TV series) contestants Category:People from Bradford Category:Musicians from Bradford Category:People from West Yorkshire