From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to John's user page
on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit
Quote of the month
||Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation.
I had been using Wikipedia and following the news stories about it for quite a while when I got into an argument with someone on a newsgroup about Wikipedia's reliability as a source. As I defended the Wiki principle of "anyone can edit", I realized that I could be editing instead of talking about it. That was in late 2005.
I wouldn't spend as much time as I do on it if I didn't still think Wikipedia was a great project. It attracts people who want to help write a free on-line encyclopedia of human knowledge. That so many people want to do that, and successfully can, seems incredibly cool to me.
I respect the goals of the project, and so I support Wikipedia philosophies and policies, particularly WP:AGF, WP:CIVIL, WP:3RR, WP:NPOV and WP:VAND.
This is amazing! It sums up how we can use conflicts to build our community instead of letting them tear us apart. I recommend that everyone read it.
Main activities and areas of interest
I mainly do:
- Disambiguating links
- Uploading and editing images using the various copyright tags
- Fixing spelling errors using AWB. Great fun! I used to also do this under the account User:Spellmaster. I strive very hard for total accuracy, but if I make a mistake, please revert (if you wish), and drop me a message in my talk page so I know you consider it a mistake and can improve my edits.
- Weapons and war
- Southern Africa
- Scottish football
- Scottish literature and poetry
- Punk music
- Science, especially chemistry
- 'The itis': I have made 132,875 edits as of 1 May 2013.
RfA . Favourite quotations, etc . Favourite contributions . Awards . Highlights . Tools . Style preferences