|This is a Wikipedia user page.
This is not an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user to whom this page belongs may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia itself. The original page is located at
Current pet hates on Wikipedia
Rather than re-editing to integrate a new link into the body of an article some editors prefer to add a "See [[This article]]", what is a "see such and such" within a paragraph, but a manifestation of "q.v. this". If it really can't be easily integrated into the text, then it does not really belong there, and should either have a new sentence or paragraph written for it. If such a sentence or paragraph would unbalance the article, the link best belongs in the see also section, if at all.
Editors who feel that they need to say in the lede-details follow in the section below, the lede is an introduction and short summary, its expected that a topic will be expanded in later sections.
Editors who believe that readers have the memory of goldfish, and repeatedly refer the reader to a previous or later section, falling foul of self referencing, q.v. "this" and thinking that readers have short memories, thinking that readers have the memory of goldfish and have short memories.
Editors who write "recently" or two years ago etc, rather than specify a date.
Editors who feel the need to list in the "see also" section links to articles that have already appeared in the article proper. If it has appeared in the article proper it is not a see also.
List magnets lists, e.g.'s and e.t.c. to which editors cannot resist adding their favourite example, usually originally intended only to be illustrative these things have the tendency to grow to such an extent that they overwhelm the section they are in. If they cannot be pruned back, and editors will fight the cutting of their favourites, the only option is to spin it off into its own article. I never thought I'd hear myself saying this but some lists serve as just fancruft magnets.
Visual Editor  and the way that it makes articles look as if they were a copy and paste of themelves  I hate it all the more now, because since I've started to edit on  tablets and smartphone  I've come to appreciate a working WYSIWYG editor would be great.
Kill your babies
One piece of advice given to new writers, is to know when and how to "kill your babies" most of us are really loathe to do this, but sometimes, the best prose is created when it pared down to the minimum number of words needed to clearly express an idea. I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to verbiage, so though it sometimes hurts to see your work cut down, Wikipedia is one of those experiences where you'll find people to both fatten and slaughter your babies, its sometimes hard to see which makes the best improvements, so usually after I've created or "improved" an article as much as I can, I will walk away from it only visiting it occasionally to see how its doing, and try and resist the temptation of continued parenting of it. (compare ,,, and ). For some reason its always easier to kill other people's babies than your own.
I have an alternative account registered as User:KTo228 for public computers. I have on occasion used the sig Koonan the almost civilised.
I'm an erratic and random editor, and I'll edit any article that takes my fancy. I'm Commons:User:Kto288 at Commons. Since finding that rather than putting files in the best category I could find, I can create the correct category on Commons, I've been editing a lot less on Wikipedia, and a lot more on Commons.
I am an occasional contributor and reviewer at Wikinews.
You know you've been editing Wikipedia too long when you...
- Consider changing your real name to match your user name on Wikipedia, including having User: as part of your legal name
- When you dream, you move between scenes using wikilinks
- You didn't need them when you started editing Wikipedia, but now you have to hunt down your reading glasses before you start editing.
- You come across one of your pet hates, as you set about fixing it you realise that it was an edit you yourself made years ago.
- Category:Wikipedia requested photographs in London
- Category:Copy to Wikimedia Commons
- Wikipedia:New pages patrol
- Template:Cite news
- Wikipedia:Citation templates
- Wikipedia:Vital articles
- Wikipedia:How to fix bunched-up edit links should be useful once I work out how it works.
To be done
- Move as many PD images to Commons as possible and make sure they are properly categorised and licensed Wikipedia:Moving images to the Commons, I guess most of these can be moved to Commons Category:Images in the public domain in the United States,Category:United States Marine Corps images, Category:User-created public domain files
- articles I'be been meaning to write, translate or expand
- The Legendary Ranger (TV series)-zh:原振俠 (電視劇), May need to write Yuan Zhen-xia-zh:原振俠系列 as well
- French Corps of Engineering Studies and Armament Techniques - fr:Ingénieur des études et techniques d'armement
- Swedish Airbase Rangers School -sv:Flygbasjägarskolan
- 16º Stormo- it:16º Stormo
- Royal Italian Air Force demolitions arditi-it:Arditi distruttori della Regia Aeronautica
- 10th Arditi Regiment- it:10º Reggimento arditi
- Kim Do-hoon (musician)-ko:김도훈 (작곡가)
- Stephanie (South Korean Singer)-ko:스테파니 (1987년)
- Saturday Night (Herman Brood song)-nl:Saturday Night
- Expand Dany Lademacher from nl:Dany Lademacher
Go Won-hee-problematic previously deletedrecreated by someone else with a different romanisation of the name
- Candy Mafia-problematic previously deleted
- Rosa Castellanos-es:Rosa Castellanos
- Events of 15-16 June 1975-tr:15-16 Haziran Olayları
- Vatan Partisi-tr:Vatan Partisi
- Rain Lee-zh:李彩華
- Television broadcast programming in South Korea
- British Military Powerboat Trust