|Search user languages|
Who am I?
My RL name is Colin Robinson, and I live in an inner-western suburb of Sydney, Australia.
Some things I've done in Wikipedia
- Expanded Life on Titan from a redirect to a substantial article.
- Worked to make Mithraic Mysteries more comprehensive and neutral.
- Part of the work group which drafted a new, clearer intro for the much-discussed core policy page WP:Verifiability: the intro accepted in the July 2012 RfC. (See section below.)
- Worked to make Hypothetical types of biochemistry more informative, verifiable, and accessible.
Verifiability or truth? How I helped redraft conflicted policy
An RfC in July 2012 established consensus for a new lead section to WP:Verifiability. WP:Verifiability is a core policy page, whose wording had been hotly debated: especially the phrase "verifiability, not truth" which used to appear in the lead section of the policy.
Before the RfC, I took part in a working group to draft a new lead — one which would distinguish between verifiability and perceived truth, but without using the phrase "verifiability, not truth" except perhaps in a footnote. This working group was part of a larger mediated discussion about the policy page, the mediator being Mr Stradivarius.
We wrote a series of 22 drafts. Our starting point was a draft by Becritical. I did quite a lot of the subsequent rewriting, though certainly not all of it.
Draft 22 was submitted to the RfC, as one of 5 options for how the lead could look: Option D. And that was the option that got consensus support at the RfC.
It was a historic moment for WP policy.
You can verify my contribution to the successful team effort by looking at the following diffs:
About my username...
The equivalent name for a female servant of Kali would end in "-dasi". So the fact that I use the name "Kalidasa" logically suggests I'm a boy...
Why I use this name:
- I appreciate the vision of dark radiant Kali, as expressed in Sanskrit, Bengali and other Indian literature. I also appreciate the wisdom of other traditions and cultures, both religious and secular.
- Kalidasa is name of a classical dramatist and poet, who wrote about a lot of topics other than goddess Kali... I admire this Kalidasa. Like him, I write about a range of topics, and I try to write as well as I can...